Wall Plates for Speaker hookups? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to make my HT as clean looking as possible. For my speaker runs, I am thinking of terminating the in-wall runs to wall plates with banana plugs at each end.

Especially at the equipment end, rather than having this loom of wires (7.1 setup) coming out of one large hole, I will have instead 2 4-plug wall plates, nicely labeled.

The plugs and plates are not particularly expensive. The only concern I have is whether the introduction of two addtional connectors per run will have a noticeable effect on the sound.

Anyone done this?

Chris Whitworth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

I have done this, and if you have good solid connections you will have no problems and there will be no audible difference.

filmnut
post #3 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 08:32 PM

I hope this setup does not have any major drawbacks. To remove the possibility of a problem I was trying to leave a single run of cable from my AMP to Speaker, but my drywaller did not want me to. I state this because he cut through my cable and I only have about 4†remaining on my center channel run out of about 6 feet.

I am now looking at using the 5 way binding post wall plates instead of the banana plug ones since they seem more flexible. I read another thread awhile back and most people seemed to believe that you get a better connection with bare wire. If you are using a 5 way binding post you can try the bare wire and if you don’t like it you can add the banana plugs and see if it gets better.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by christer W.
Anyone done this?
Yup. If you're worried about a connection quality, use gold-plated connectors.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #5 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 08:31 AM

I asked this same question several months ago. Now that I am ready to acutally put the plates on the walls, for best connection, should the connections be soldered to the speaker wire. I live in a very humid climate so, although the speaker wire is oxygen free, corrosion is still possible. WWYD?
Thanks
Steve
post #6 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Copper+gold isn't corrosion-prone. If the interior of your walls were humid enough to cause a problem, you'd have to worry about dry-rot on the framing. To say nothing of the copper+zinc contacts in your house wiring.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM

Currently finishing up framing & starting to run wire. Speaker wire coming up next.

Do you just run your speaker wire from boxes in the equipment closet to shallow switch boxes in the framing? I was thinking I could roll up a few feet in the boxes & caulk around the openings before drywall.

Any other suggestions?
post #8 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 05:16 PM

bentson,
Although you probably already know this, it's good to repeat it anyway. Stay away from any 120/220 lines with your speaker wire. If your must cross them closely or directly, cross perpendicular to them (i.e.,90 degrees). This will decrease the effect of potential interference. At each end of the run, leave a foot or so of wire (service run). I've learned the hard way!
Good luck
Steve
post #9 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I used Leviton Quickports, and couldn't be happier with the results in my new theater room :)

The only issue I have is cleanly hiding the DVI cable :-(

Regards,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Rather than switch boxes, it's alot easier to use low-voltage boxes; e.g., http://www.smarthome.com/25431.html

I used Quickports for most connections, although I used this for speaker connections:

http://www.smarthome.com/8540.html

Speaker wires are so low in frequency and so very low in impedance, and relatively high in voltage level, that inference from AC wiring isn't much of a problem.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2003, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

To throw in an alternate idea.
I used Speakon connectors for my wall connectors. They lock in place and have 4 connections per jack/plug, and handle 12 guage wire. So one jack for rears, one jack for sides, and I bi-wired my fronts for future bi-amping. I bought them at a musical instrument store. I beleive they also have 8 connector type.

Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul
post #12 of 15 Old 08-13-2003, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally posted by Radsman
bentson,
Although you probably already know this, it's good to repeat it anyway. Stay away from any 120/220 lines with your speaker wire. If your must cross them closely or directly, cross perpendicular to them (i.e.,90 degrees). This will decrease the effect of potential interference. At each end of the run, leave a foot or so of wire (service run). I've learned the hard way!
Good luck
Steve
Sorry but this is fokelore on passive speaker runs. Even a parallel run of a hundred feet would not introduce any audiable amount of hum into a passive speaker run. A passive speaker has no electrical gain along with a source impedance of less than an ohm with modern MOSFET amplifiers. The voltage ratio here is insignificant.

Now amplified sub woofers, amplified speakers, line level audio and video signals are a different matter. Good engineering practice still dictates keeping some seperation on speaker runs, but if not cheaply practical, don't bother for passive speaker runs.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #13 of 15 Old 08-24-2003, 06:34 AM

One advantage of Speakon's is their cost, decent banana jacks run about $30 per pair, 4 pol3 speakon plug cost about $5 and the receptacle costs about $3.50....Important for those of us who have to pinch pennies wherever we can, the fact that it's virtually impossible to accidentally disconnect and has far greater surface area is almost secondary...

erie
post #14 of 15 Old 08-24-2003, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by where1
To throw in an alternate idea.
I used Speakon connectors for my wall connectors... I beleive they also have 8 connector type.
You simply can't beat a Speakon for a solid connection. I love 'em!

They do have an 8 contact version - NL8FC, it's silver plated.

-Dean

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - AE
post #15 of 15 Old 08-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by epatsellis
One advantage of Speakon's is their cost, decent banana jacks run about $30 per pair, 4 pol3 speakon plug cost about $5 and the receptacle costs about $3.50....Important for those of us who have to pinch pennies wherever we can, the fact that it's virtually impossible to accidentally disconnect and has far greater surface area is almost secondary...

erie
Where can one purchase the speakon wall plates and connectors. I didnt have much luck finding them in a google search
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page