Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Talking JMAX Theatre

Why JMAX? Well, my name is Jeff for starters, but after brainstorming forever with the family about what we'd call it, we ended up going with the bad dad-joke that kept on going. "JMAX - it's a letter better" It just kind of stuck so now everyone refers to it as that.

This has been something I've wanted to do over a decade now, but every time I was about to start something else always got in the way. Half of the speakers I used had just been sitting in my closet the last 5-6 years waiting for this day to come. Now with all the new 4K and Atmos excitement I got the bug hard again and finally managed to put it all together and make it a reality. (Big difference for me considering I haven't even had as much as 5.1 in over 12 years now)

While I never posted here much, I give thanks for all the threads I lurked in (and drooled over) for years getting ideas for how to go about doing things. So far I'm pretty proud of what I managed to put together and wanted to share the build and final results with other enthusiasts. Hopefully I didn't forget too many important details, but feel free to critique and and offer personal recommendations.

FINISHED ROOM PICS:
Spoiler!

Room size is about 14ft wide and 24 feet deep with 8ft ceilings. (14 feet to the front row, and 20 feet to the back row of seating)

Acoustimac brand, suade acoustic panels in various sizes throughout the room.

Couches used are variations of the Wrangler Sectional from Haverty's. All full power recline with USB charging ports in the 3 spacers.

Equipment:

JVC RS:600 projector equipped with a Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens

Seymour Center Stage XD AT screen with Premier Frame with a 2.39:1 ratio
(Frame dimensions: 136.7" x 61" , Image Size: 130" x 54.3")

Sanus 55" Tall AV rack

Marantz AV 8802A
MM8077
MM7055

OPPO UDP 203

All hooked up 30ft away with Celerity's USB powered optical HDMI cables
(Finding a solution for that was the worst part!)

And for sound I used Atlantic Technology In-Wall speakers.

Front:
IW-30 LCR (x3)

Subs:
IWTS-8E sub/SA-380 amp (x2)
642e SB

Surround sides and back:
IW-155 SR (x4)

Ceiling:
IC-6 OBA (x4)

Enjoy!

Last edited by Rengozu; 09-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

And now for the instant gratification build pictures! (Netflix bingewatch style)

Here we have the future home of what will be known as the JMAX Theatre. Wish I could still find some pics of what my original movie room looked like when I first bought the house, but that was in a time where big screen rear-projections were the in thing. This room had basically been a vacant storage room for the last decade until I finally pulled the trigger on this project. Only remanence of the old room would be the curtains and theatre purple walls. Let's tear it down!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Here's where we started the basic framing to get a nice and even rectangular room. In one of the pics you can see the room we're building is actually to the right of the front door. My house is a pretty open floor plan with plenty of space (almost 3000sqft total) so even though it's located at the front of the house, there's still plenty of living space throughout with a couple more living room type spaces for everyone to lounge in. It also makes convenient sometimes for when friends come over for a late movie-night and they don't have to wander through the rest of the house. Was a little worried at first about closing this room off because it would kill the flow of having two paths to walk around to the kitchen, but since completion I couldn't have been happier with the results.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

post #4 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Early beginnings of playing around with screen-size possibilities with some painters tape, followed by closing off the back wall and a small fortress of Roxul insulation.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of Roxul in the walls covered up by mass loaded vinyl, in-wall surround and ceiling speaker mounts placed, recessed lighting installed, and thick sound resistant drywall beginning to go up all over.

Spoiler!

post #6 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

And now the riser for that theatrical stadium seating feel, and more of the buildout where components will go. (One inside the closet, and the other for the Sanus rack facing into the theatre room) Once that stage went up things started to get really exciting for us.

Spoiler!

post #7 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Built another false wall up front to hold the in-wall speaker boxes, not to mention figured it was a good idea with the wall behind it having plumbing pipes running through it. Things were exciting before, but once the speaker boxes went in it became real. Anticipation was even more unbearable now. Also started work on window covering panels here. Dark on the inside, still looks like a normal house with blinds visible on the outside. Made conditions really dark to work in once we blocked out the sun, but I wouldn't want a theatre room any other way.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yay paint!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Time to open stuff!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sanus case in place, and crown moulding and sconces up. The 2-way sconces were bought at Home Depot for like $40-$50. Think they were mainly meant for outdoor use, but I liked the look of them for the room and they were far cheaper than other alternatives I was looking at. I just changed the original stock to color changing LED bulbs for the blue effect.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #11 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy oh boy oh boy . . .

Pre/Pro's on the rack, front speakers on the main wall. I really want to rack mount a microwave for popcorn at the bottom of my secondary closet rack, but figured there's some science involved that should tell me that's a real bad idea for my other equipment. (even though that would provide for some extreme concession functionality!)

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #12 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

After weeks of waiting for a carpet restock, it's finally in. Unfortunately for me, while waiting on carpet my contractor took another job so in the meantime I found myself listening to every concert DVD I could find on an uncalibrated system while watching it all on a 19inch TV. (That Eagles DTS soundtrack never gets old)

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Getting closer . . .

Spoiler!
KBMAN likes this.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hallway before the room themed with older movie posters I had from my original movie room. Behind the double doors to the left of the first picture is where I store my physical movies, and once facing inside, to the right is where the rest of the hidden closet that was cut off originally from the theatre room is. You can access the back of the Sanus rack in there, but the rack next to it houses my power conditioners, DVD players, and various older components that I never use but for some reason don't get rid of. (yay, mini-disc!)

I prefer it this way because it keeps the pre/pro rack clean and locked up with all the good stuff, while the other rack is hidden in a closet but easy to get to for power conditioners, not to mention having the DVD player accessible right next to the movies is a big plus. Much easier than unlocking a case door every time you want to change out discs.

Spoiler!
KBMAN likes this.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

And this is where I am now. Only thing really left on my list is to upgrade my player to the Oppo, and lastly, install the acoustic panels when they arrive later this month. Maybe add some Dolby Atmos and custom JMAX type signage somewhere among the little nitpicky stuff.

Definitely a fun experience to see it finally come to life. (and you got to see it all progress without all that pesky waiting!)

Hope you've enjoyed seeing the build thus far, and look forward to seeing your comments, questions, and critiques. (not to mention a list of what else I still need since we all know it'll never truly be done.)

- take care!

Spoiler!
KBMAN, woodgieroo and movieloverAL like this.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 12:18 PM.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rengozu likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Nice build. I am jealous yours is done already, or very close to be completed. I like how all came together.

Can you share the info on the carpet? I like that darker look.

Also, I like the choice you made on the Marantz gear and how all of the gear fit's into the 2 racks. 1 hidden and 1 to control realtime in the room . nicely done.

I too am a huge Roxul fan! that rockwool just works. good choice. How do you like the mass loaded vinyl? I was debating on doing that as well, but haven't done allot of research on it.
Rengozu likes this.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #18 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Nice build. I am jealous yours is done already, or very close to be completed. I like how all came together.

Can you share the info on the carpet? I like that darker look.

Also, I like the choice you made on the Marantz gear and how all of the gear fit's into the 2 racks. 1 hidden and 1 to control realtime in the room . nicely done.

I too am a huge Roxul fan! that rockwool just works. good choice. How do you like the mass loaded vinyl? I was debating on doing that as well, but haven't done allot of research on it.
The carpet is called "After Midnight" and you can get it anywhere from level I - IV for quality and thickness, so I went with the top IV level. Best, softest carpet I've ever had and could easily sleep on the floor in there.

I also love having the two racks. Was kind of unintentional at first, but being that part of the closet is a somewhat narrow fit, I needed the Sanus/Marantz to be visible to the theatre side but mainly because I needed an easy way to access the back panels of it. If I just put it in the closet without utilizing an opening there would be no way to get around to both sides of it. When I get the panels I plan on hiding it's visibility on the theatre side by putting a panel over it on a door hinge. Should also help with any glare distractions.

The other rack was just an old thing I had laying around forever and when I saw I'd have the space to fit it in nicely next to the the Sanus I went for it. Not as easy to get to the back panels of this one, but there's not exactly much going on to need to. Have the power conditioners on the rack up top and an easy access hole that runs next to the pre/pro to hook things like HDMI cables up. As for functionality it works great for me, and everything there is hooked up via IR that runs to the left side surround speaker for easy control.

As for the Roxul, vinyl, and Soundbreak drywall etc, I've never had experience using anything like that but figured if I was going this far I might as well try to go all out (for my budget). I don't have much to compare it to or know what's exactly doing what, but it does do what I was looking to do. Not soundproof, but it definitely dampens and keeps most of it contained in the room and not spill out too far. Having in-wall bass travels through other walls during big scenes, but sounds more like a nightclub way off in the distance if you're in the room next to it. This room is on a corner side of the lot so I had a lot of free space to be loud to work with originally, but I'm thinking the walls have definitely done their job since I can still crank it while the rest of the house is asleep, not to mention no angry neighbors.
Copperhorse73 likes this.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 171
JMAX is lookin' good I know that strip lighting can be 'cliché', but I love it! I love the blue scheme, which flanks my 'Red scheme' in my theater. But I have to ask, are those front In-walls your only front soundstage? I love the hidden-speaker-approach, but I've never really liked in-walls for a dedicated system. Anyhoo, check out my theater in my sig, it will give you a few ideas, or just look for fun. What size screen are you going with?
Rengozu and Copperhorse73 like this.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
JMAX is lookin' good I know that strip lighting can be 'cliché', but I love it! I love the blue scheme, which flanks my 'Red scheme' in my theater. But I have to ask, are those front In-walls your only front soundstage? I love the hidden-speaker-approach, but I've never really liked in-walls for a dedicated system. Anyhoo, check out my theater in my sig, it will give you a few ideas, or just look for fun. What size screen are you going with?
Yea, definitely cliché but I still love it. Easy way to make it look good without breaking the bank. Guess I should've taken more pics with different lighting, but all the lights can also change colors if I wanted to re-theme it. I'm just partial to the Tron-like blue feel so I leave it there most of the time.

Yea, that's it for my soundstage. Those are the speakers I had been sitting on in my closet for 5+ years, long before I decided I was gonna go all out on this project. Really didn't even look too hard into newer speakers when I started this, but figured since most of my expenses was going to be in construction that I'd just use what I already had. It's my first real experience with an in-wall system but I'm happy with it. They're loud and come in nice and clear. I really just wanted the clean look all over, but also figured if I used big speakers hidden behind the screen I'd lose too much more space coming out with the wall.

This was my screen:
Seymour AT screen with Premier Frame = 2.39:1 ratio
(Frame dimensions: 136.7" x 61" , Image Size: 130" x 54.3")

Cool, I'll check yours out!
Copperhorse73 likes this.
post #21 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Very nice job and love the look of the room. Mind sharing the color of the paint?
Rengozu likes this.
post #22 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 662
That looks very nice and tidy, excellent result.
Rengozu likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #23 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splode View Post
Very nice job and love the look of the room. Mind sharing the color of the paint?
Name of the color from the sample was "Sailor's Coat" and that was mixed at Lowes with Valspar Reserve w/ HydroChroma tech in a flat base paint. I like that way it turned out. Looks really good in a dark/dimly lit room and has just enough contrast from the front wall and ceiling being painted black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4066.JPG (676.4 KB, 51 views)
post #24 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed you drywalled your false wall, most people have been doing fabric false wall and then putting up tons of acoustically treatments on the 'real' false well. This is to prevent sound reflections on the front dry wall. Any reason you went with dry wall instead of fabric?
Rengozu likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch1968 View Post
I noticed you drywalled your false wall, most people have been doing fabric false wall and then putting up tons of acoustically treatments on the 'real' false well. This is to prevent sound reflections on the front dry wall. Any reason you went with dry wall instead of fabric?
Inexperience

I'll just have to chalk that one up to trying to figure it all out myself as I went along. I understand what you mean now saying it, but it never even crossed my mind as a possible issue when constructing it. Only real thought on it was just that I knew I needed to make it black. Now I'll have to look for other links that did it like that for reference.

* Oh, but even then, the speakers and their backboxes I used are meant to be installed under drywall for the right depth etc, so don't know if that would even have been an option to work around for me.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-05-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Name of the color from the sample was "Sailor's Coat"
Thanks!
post #27 of 38 Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I highly enjoy this sort of build thread... It is the "Netflix" version of a TV series. Instead of having to wait 8 months to watch the whole thing, we can binge on all the pics at one time.

A couple questions. What part of Tennessee are you located and what Seymour screen material did you go with?

Looks great!
Rengozu likes this.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Very nice!

How do you like the Seymour screen? I'm also curious on what material you chose. I'm looking at the XD screen but I'm worried I'll see the weave at 10.5' from the screen. My room is light controlled though (dark) which is supposed to mitigate that issue. Sound and PQ are supposed to be excellent... You've got a nice 14' viewing distance so no worries on your end there! Every thread I read I always walk away thinking "if only my room was 2' bigger in every direction..."
Rengozu likes this.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I highly enjoy this sort of build thread... It is the "Netflix" version of a TV series. Instead of having to wait 8 months to watch the whole thing, we can binge on all the pics at one time.

A couple questions. What part of Tennessee are you located and what Seymour screen material did you go with?

Looks great!
Ha yea, I agree. Part of the reason I went ahead and constructed this thread. Figured there's was enough of you that would still enjoy. Some of these build threads are killing me with anticipation to see more updates!

I'm right outside the Nashville area in Murfreesboro. Guess I forgot to add that part of screen info in my description. I went with the Center Stage XD screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Very nice!

How do you like the Seymour screen? I'm also curious on what material you chose. I'm looking at the XD screen but I'm worried I'll see the weave at 10.5' from the screen. My room is light controlled though (dark) which is supposed to mitigate that issue. Sound and PQ are supposed to be excellent... You've got a nice 14' viewing distance so no worries on your end there! Every thread I read I always walk away thinking "if only my room was 2' bigger in every direction..."
Yep, that's the one. I was afraid of seeing the weave as well at first, but it's really a non issue. Pretty sure the sales guy mentioned unless you're sitting closer than 10ft it should be no problem, but us having dark rooms helps it even more. I'll try to look at mine again tomorrow at a closer distance and report back to you. I don't have many screens to compare it to, but the speakers sound great though it and I'm happy with the picture. Definitely recommended.

I think you'll be fine at your distance with that screen, @javeryh
Maybe the dark room really does do a lot for it as opposed to seeing one with natural light, but I walked up a few feet in front of the 10ft line and still thought it was fine. Worth checking out somewhere for yourself if you can.

Last edited by Rengozu; 08-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
I think you'll be fine at your distance with that screen, @javeryh
Maybe the dark room really does do a lot for it as opposed to seeing one with natural light, but I walked up a few feet in front of the 10ft line and still thought it was fine. Worth checking out somewhere for yourself if you can.
Thanks for the info! My samples just arrived in the mail so I'll check it out when I get home. My wife is saying the see-through one is vinyl and the opaque one is cloth, which I would have thought would be the other way around. The XD is the thicker material, right?
Rengozu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Atlantic Technology , atmos , ivc rs:600 , Marantz , panamorph anamorphic lens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page