20x13 Theater Room ***9.2.2 or 7.2.2--any many more questions.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaurhead
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
20x13 Theater Room ***9.2.2 or 7.2.2--any many more questions..

Hello, I bought a new home last year and it has a 20x13 dark theater room. I already have a JVC projector with 120" screen. Below are some of the questions and would like your suggestions...

1) What would be ideal Atmos setup for this room..9.2.2. or 7.2.2.
2) Ideal seating (couch) distance...would like to have two rows of three chairs...
3) Surround speaker location/distance...
4) rear surround should I put them in ceiling or back wall...what is recommended height...
5i) I am planning to buy inwall RBH signature series speakers....any opinions about them?


Thanks everyone in advance...hopefully i will get good advice and suggestions..so I can start building my theater room.
sandhuh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Jaurhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Orange County
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Well, I'm in a tiny (11x10) room and I'm running 7.2.4. I know there aren't any current AVR's that support native 9.x.2 (this would include "front wide" channels), so I would stick to 7.x.2 (or .4 if you can swing it), mount the rear surrounds on the REAR wall, and 2 sets of Atmos speakers on the ceiling for a 7.x.4 setup.

Refer to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos.png
Views:	46
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2266952  
sigpig likes this.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
My Fun Room!
Jaurhead is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Silva741's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'd stick to 7.2.2. The room isn't huge, and benefit of 9.x.2 in the foreseeable future is doubtful.
20' should be enough for 2 rows, unless you're planning to have an AT screen. Is your screen 16x9 or 2.35?
Silva741 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 AM
Member
 
Aquarian09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhuh View Post
Hello, I bought a new home last year and it has a 20x13 dark theater room. I already have a JVC projector with 120" screen. Below are some of the questions and would like your suggestions...

1) What would be ideal Atmos setup for this room..9.2.2. or 7.2.2.
2) Ideal seating (couch) distance...would like to have two rows of three chairs...
3) Surround speaker location/distance...
4) rear surround should I put them in ceiling or back wall...what is recommended height...
5i) I am planning to buy inwall RBH signature series speakers....any opinions about them?


Thanks everyone in advance...hopefully i will get good advice and suggestions..so I can start building my theater room.
Congrats on your new home
1) What would be ideal Atmos setup for this room..9.2.2. or 7.2.2. - My suggestion 7.2.4
2) Ideal seating (couch) distance...would like to have two rows of three chairs... - Dont have a correct idea about the seating arrangement, but since the room is 20ft you can place the first row at 10 ft from screen.
3) Surround speaker location/distance... - Left/Right Surround should be exactly inline with the main listening position, height should be about 2 or 3ft above the ear lvl
4) rear surround should I put them in ceiling or back wall...what is recommended height... - Back wall, I think height should be the same lvl as the surrounds.
5i) I am planning to buy inwall RBH signature series speakers....any opinions about them? - You want these speakers to be in-wall for rear surrounds ? or in-ceiling for Atmos ?

All suggestions are only my personal views, any other pro installers can throw in some light if am wrong

Cheers
Aquarian09 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,837
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4973 Post(s)
Liked: 3436
With a 20-foot long room, you can accommodate 4 overhead speakers, which will make possible left-to-right AND front-to-back panning of sounds above you. Try to keep all 4 surround speakers as close to seated ear height as possible in order to maintain separation between sounds around you vs sounds above you (the hallmark of a good Atmos set-up). For seating location, try to keep listeners' ears at an odd division (thirds, fifths) of room length, at least for the main row. Side speakers should be mounted on the side walls, in-line or slightly forward of the main listening position; rear speakers should be on the back wall, spread at least 60 degrees apart (relative to the main listening position). Should give you excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Well, I'm in a tiny (11x10) room and I'm running 7.2.4. I know there aren't any current AVR's that support native 9.x.2 (this would include "front wide" channels), so I would stick to 7.x.2 (or .4 if you can swing it), mount the rear surrounds on the REAR wall, and 2 sets of Atmos speakers on the ceiling for a 7.x.4 setup.

Refer to this.

Thank you....4 make any difference vs. 2 for atmos. I am looking at Marantz pre-amp. I have Parasound A31 and A51 amps.
sandhuh is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
Congrats on your new home
1) What would be ideal Atmos setup for this room..9.2.2. or 7.2.2. - My suggestion 7.2.4
2) Ideal seating (couch) distance...would like to have two rows of three chairs... - Dont have a correct idea about the seating arrangement, but since the room is 20ft you can place the first row at 10 ft from screen.
3) Surround speaker location/distance... - Left/Right Surround should be exactly inline with the main listening position, height should be about 2 or 3ft above the ear lvl
4) rear surround should I put them in ceiling or back wall...what is recommended height... - Back wall, I think height should be the same lvl as the surrounds.
5i) I am planning to buy inwall RBH signature series speakers....any opinions about them? - You want these speakers to be in-wall for rear surrounds ? or in-ceiling for Atmos ?

All suggestions are only my personal views, any other pro installers can throw in some light if am wrong

Cheers

3) What would your suggestion be regarding seating. I have not bought the seats yet...planning to do in next month or so, once speakers and in place.

Thank you for you suggestions.
sandhuh is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
With a 20-foot long room, you can accommodate 4 overhead speakers, which will make possible left-to-right AND front-to-back panning of sounds above you. Try to keep all 4 surround speakers as close to seated ear height as possible in order to maintain separation between sounds around you vs sounds above you (the hallmark of a good Atmos set-up). For seating location, try to keep listeners' ears at an odd division (thirds, fifths) of room length, at least for the main row. Side speakers should be mounted on the side walls, in-line or slightly forward of the main listening position; rear speakers should be on the back wall, spread at least 60 degrees apart (relative to the main listening position). Should give you excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.


Thank you. I spend this morning reading article about ATMOS setup also. Getting little understanding of what to do. Should i invest in high end ceiling speakers or moderately? Which once are you using?
sandhuh is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for providing suggestions. Couple of more questions:


6) Currently room is wired with 14AWG wire...should i upgrade it 12AWG and would Monoprice cable decent?
7) Recommendation for ATMOS ceiling speakers.
8) Best Subwoofer placement in the room?
9) Should i get a AVR or invest in Pre-amp and then use parasound AMPs that i have. Was thinking of selling the amps (A51 and A31) and use that money for AVR and speakers for the theater if there is not much difference in sound quality.


thanks
sandhuh is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,837
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4973 Post(s)
Liked: 3436
I would place the seating (or at least finalize locations) before speakers are in place. Speakers should be placed based on where the listeners are, not the other way around. Buy surround speakers and height speakers that sound as close to your front 3 speakers as possible (within budget).

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off