AVS Forum banner

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain

41K views 260 replies 36 participants last post by  LydMekk 
#1 ·
About time I created my new building thread since I've been lurking around in this forum since the early 2000s. My current cinema in house project version 1.0 already have 3 years under its belt. This one is located in Andalucia, Spain.

The problem was that a lot of compromises was accepted during the first build. Size was too narrow and also IMO to small for good acoustics. Way too much cement bunker, not nearly enough consideration of echoes, reflections etc.
After thinking about the issues for some time I decided to finally do this RIGHT.

Old cinema was around 39m3. New one will be around 73m3. We will end up approx. 7,15m wide x 10,25m long x 2,65m high. Separate long & narrow technical room with 2 racks, one for audio/video and one for network, lights and power. 6 separate fuses on a phase where not much else resides (house has 3 phases in).

Z-Wave light control with scenes defined etc, possible Alexa integration.

Airflow intake from cool storage section of the house (which has intakes from outside) to extractor fan dumping old air into other part of the floor. Mitsubishi Zen silent AC solution inside the cinema (black).

Will update gear list here. Atm. 120" Elite CineWhite screen, Optoma HD-36, Lexicon MC-12B, Velodyne DD-18 + 2 other subs etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rough measurements of the changes:

Back wall with glass aperture for future projector outside the room. Current proj is short throw and will be mounted in a hushbox 4.5m away from the screen.

Attachments

#3 ·
Old cinema space before demolition:

Attachments

#4 ·
Demolition:

Attachments

#5 ·
More demolition:

Attachments

#9 ·
There will be one front row with 3 chairs and a second row with 4 chairs on a riser.
Double heavy doors with metal center in an "airlock".

Considering a bigger screen, f.ex. 150" 16:9 with a top/bottom masking system for 2.35/40:1.

Will wire for Atmos & install in-ceiling speakers, possible also wides, but need a new processor for that. My old Lexicon does not have the processing needed.
Considering new surround speakers, old ones are PSB B-15 Image set. Will see how much money is left after the build ^^. Maybe also some bigger subs, there will be 2 in each front corner and 2 in each back corner. Very good results with multiple corner loaded subs in the old room.

Double stud walls on one long wall and the back wall with rockwool and airgap for sound insulation. The other 2 walls are outside walls and under earth so only going with 5cm studs with Rockwool and double DW+GG. Same with ceiling, 5cm studs + Rockwool and one layer of DW+GG+ either OSB or Plywood (unsure which one is better for the ceiling (towards the listeners)? Need some wood for fastening other wood structures to on the ceiling.

Floor will have all carpet, also over the riser. Vents in the riser for bass trap purposes.

Small soffit around the top of the walls for cable runs.

Ceiling absorber front and diffusion in the back.

Need to calculate wall absorbers and diffusors to see the total needed amount and coverage/placement.

#12 · (Edited)
The old cinema pictures where taken after we started dismantle the wall absorbers (had some GIK 4").
Yeah a lot of cement/plaster and really too much of a cement bunker ^^.

Yup, there will be double DW+GG on both the inside of the room and also on the outside of the left long wall and back wall. Those 2 walls will have double studs with an airgap between. A lot of Rockwool in the walls.

Javeryh: The Spanish are fond of tiles and cement...very durable materials but not good for acoustics. Good for the outer shell though. So, Ill be going with framing/Rockwool and DW+GG+DW on all sides towards the room. Riser will be fully wood with either OSB or plywood on top as per Bigs suggestions in other threads.
There will be tiles on the cement floor but it will be completely covered in wall to wall carpet. Futureproofing with the tiles underneat if the room will be changed into something else with another property owner etc. Not that I foresee moving in my future but one never knows ^^.

Peter: Yeah, unsure of the Focals with the bigger space, but back in Norway I had them in a similar sized living room and they managed fine to fill that space so I'll test them when the room is ready. Will see how it goes. I think some REW measurements of the speakers in the new space will show how they perform. Btw. Peter I will shamelessly be using a lot of your ideas in my build :) , especially your columns and acoustical wall plates/coverings. The difference in our rooms is your added height, I could not get more height here without starting to dig down and that's not worth it. 2,65m is ok though. I think we have roughly the same width and length.

Need more and better subs though. Will be going with 4 total.

Atm. there are no builders on site due to local vacation time but they will be back at it next week.

#13 ·
The builders are back from vacations! They are removing a heap of old concrete on the floor to make it even so the tiles will go in level. Old floor was raised 10cm but we removed the extra floor height now. This will make it even with the hallway outside.

Still awaiting return of the steel guys, they will be another week coming.

#15 ·
That is a huge room! Anyway you could get a little more height?

#16 ·
Nope, more height is not possible beyond the 2.65m. It would require massive excavation and similar costs.
If the house were in the process of being built from scratch I would have put in 4m ceilings but as it is 10 yrs old atm that is not to be...

The noisecanceling of the ceiling will only be around 9cm in total incl. one layer of DW+GG+plywood. The existing cement roof shell is around 30cm (1 fot) thick and pretty silent on the other side as it is.
Another 15-20cm in acoustical materials/config in addition to that to the "island" in the middle of the ceiling and back towards the back wall.

So, this should leave me with enough space, around minimum 2.36-2.40 net height.

#18 ·
Steel is up today. Last finishing touches painting over the welds.

Attachments

#19 ·
Crikey! :eek:

That's one heck of a project! Best of luck!

It always looks worse before it gets better..... mines not finished yet, but has gone from.......

to......

...so far!

It's a fascinating journey.....

Are you fitting out the room yourself? Once the builders have gone. I'm still learning on the job, so to speak, but find it both satisfying and sometime frustrating - with about a 70-30 split in favour of the satisfaction! :D

#20 ·
I will be outfitting the room internally myself yes, but with the help of my "handiman"/electrician who is a friend of the house.
Nice with some extra hands esp. with woodworking, riser etc.

Tomorrow is the start of the demo of the old pillars and final shave/prep of the floor for the cement.
Tiles will be procured tomorrow too. Carpet/pad on top to handle the acoustics but nice with the tiles underneat IF the room is to be repurposed in the far future ^^.

But, I've found as with other builders on this forum, it is necessary to be there most of the time and really personally guide your builders regd. all the small details, unless you want to have cropups...

#23 ·
Ceiling:

I want a layer of plywood or OSB on the ceiling as there will be a lot of center framing, hushbox (atm. short-throw PJ) etc. hanging from the ceiling in the room. Some weight.
So, there will be a normal soffit run along the perimeter of the room, then some visible ceiling plates and then the "island" in the middle of the ceiling towards the back wall containing diffusors, lights etc.

This is a ceiling with internal clips, channel and Rockwool.

The question is: Should I go with plywood or OSB as first layer and then DW as the second (towards the room)? Or DW as first and plywood/osb as the final layer ?

Thinking about the visible finish towards the listeners and also the availability to have some wood so the screws will hold.

Let me know your thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.