Painting trim - advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Painting trim - advice

I caulked my room and columns, painted ceiling black and walls/columns light gray with the intention of painting all trim off the walls/on horses. Then installing all the black trim, molding, crown and touching up nail holes only.

I’m now wondering If I should have put ALL the trim up (before painting), caulked EVERYTHING, and then painted. Do most paint all the trim work separately and then install as I’m doing? At this stage, I think it would be too much work to caulk the trim after installing and repaint/re-cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Why do you want to caulk the trim? If it is for sound isolation reasons, there is no need. Caulk all corners of the room before the trim goes up to keep sound from getting into or out of the room.

If you are planning on caulking the trim to prevent lines and shadows where it meets the walls and/or ceiling, you will either have to paint/repaint after caulking or you can color the caulk to match the paint color. I have never done it myself, but there are a bunch of videos on youtube.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
Why do you want to caulk the trim? If it is for sound isolation reasons, there is no need. Caulk all corners of the room before the trim goes up to keep sound from getting into or out of the room.

If you are planning on caulking the trim to prevent lines and shadows where it meets the walls and/or ceiling, you will either have to paint/repaint after caulking or you can color the caulk to match the paint color. I have never done it myself, but there are a bunch of videos on youtube.
Caulking the trim in this case would be strictly for cosmetics. Wondered if members even caulk their molding and the trim around fabric panels. It would look better, but prob not necessary...... My contractor recommended that I do it, but it just seem arse backwards at this stage.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
I would caulk and then paint. The only reason I prepainted some trim in my room was because it was going up against fabric. Otherwise you are making more work for yourself.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
I would caulk and then paint. The only reason I prepainted some trim in my room was because it was going up against fabric. Otherwise you are making more work for yourself.
I could paint one coat on trim, install it, caulk, and hit it with a second coat. Would require a lot of taping to get it right even using clear, paintable caulk.

So you caulked around all your woodwork/trim? I saw your recent photos - looks great BTW.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post
I could paint one coat on trim, install it, caulk, and hit it with a second coat. Would require a lot of taping to get it right even using clear, paintable caulk.

So you caulked around all your woodwork/trim? I saw your recent photos - looks great BTW.
That would work. Why the need to tape? Are you painting the trim a different color than the wall?

EDIT: I can't read. Looks like you are working with 2 colors. In that case, I would still install the trim and then caulk and then paint. That means a ton of taping which will destroy your soul. I can't cut in with a brush so I'm often in taping hell. Wish I had a better idea. If you weren't caulking then it would be much much easier to paint everything separate.

I did caulk all of the seams between the walls and the trim but very very lightly. I scraped away most of the caulk as I went because I wanted crisp lines - the caulk was just to fill any voids. Most of the construction was MDF so everything was nice and flat to begin with so it was easy. I was also only painting with one color. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by javeryh; 08-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
That would work. Why the need to tape? Are you painting the trim a different color than the wall?

I did caulk all of the seams between the walls and the trim but very very lightly. I scraped away most of the caulk as I went because I wanted crisp lines - the caulk was just to fill any voids. Most of the construction was MDF so everything was nice and flat to begin with so it was easy. Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, black trim vs. light gray walls. I usually wipe the caulk with my finger or damp rag to make it perfectly smooth.

Maybe I'll do the baseboard and crown where they meet the walls only and leave it at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page