• 1 Post By switchg3ar
  • 1 Post By VTstang

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
LED soffit lights

I'm still trying to decide if I want color changing LED strips or black light UV LED's to go around my theater in the soffit. What color(s) did you decide to go with? Post pictures!!

It may not be your job, but perhaps it's your opportunity.

MPJ's theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I simply went for warm white, see link in my signature for pictures.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Code:
      FL  C  FR      | Input  : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
 TFL  WL     WR  TFR | Magic  : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
 TML  SL     SR  TMR | Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra
 TRL  RSL   RSR  TRR |          Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a big fan of 4000K white LED lights. 90% of the lights in my home are 4000K. I find 2700-3000K LED lights make any light neutral tones look beige. Our beautiful white quartz countertops had a yellow hue with the warm white bulbs, so did the floor, tile, paint, etc. Nothing worse than seeing a product in store and having it look different at home because of lighting. Stores will generally light at 4000K to 6500K. I've never once seen 2700-3000K in a retail outfit. 4000K is referred to as "natural white". It is really easy to find in LED strips. A bit harder to find in bulbs & recessed lights, but certainly possible. I would avoid 5000K LEDs, they definitely cast a bit of a blueish hue and appear quite harsh.

I found color changing stuff to be a bit of a novelty fwiw. I used to have all sorts of that stuff, but found myself screwing around with it once or twice to show friends and never touched them otherwise. Didn't seem worth it...

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
My apologies, I should have been more specific. I'm referring to soffit led strips that shine onto the ceiling...like these
https://www.amazon.com/WenTop-300LED...p+lights&psc=1

Like this..

Name:  IMG_2159.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  227.6 KB

It may not be your job, but perhaps it's your opportunity.

MPJ's theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 08-22-2017 at 08:28 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why don't you go with both strips? I picked up a strip that has 5 in 1 (RGB plus warm white and cool white). Then you can add on a separate UV strip.
mpjmeyer likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchg3ar View Post
Why don't you go with both strips? I picked up a strip that has 5 in 1 (RGB plus warm white and cool white). Then you can add on a separate UV strip.
If you have read the thread on here about painted star ceilings vs. fiber optic, there are a number of posts from the owner of Night Sky Murals talking about the fact that the UV strip lights do not charge the paint used in the star murals. If you want that, you need fluorescent bulbs.

That being said, I still went with both in my build. Depending on how you attach the crown, there is plenty of room behind the crown for both.
mpjmeyer likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I currently have an RGB strip in place with a z-wave based controller. In my case, I programmed a couple of sequences in the Cinemavision automations, so when the theater first comes up and trivia slides are rolling, it's a deep blue, then changes to a red and dims when trailers roll, and off for the feature.

I'm actually planning on adding some UV strips up there as Jeff from Night Sky Murals claims to have found some that charge the glow paint as good (or he says better) as fluorescent bulbs.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Are you wanting black lights to charge a star ceiling or because you like the look?

If it's because you like the look, then I'd suggest going with the RGB lights and then you can have the black light look... as well as any other color you want at any particular time. By the way, the black light look in the RGB LEDs will NOT charge glow in the dark paint.

If, however, you are wanting to charge glow paint, then you could go with the RGB LEDs for the different colored look in your theater, and then also put in some tube black lights, or I actually did find a supplier of black light UV LED light strips that do an amazing job of charging the glow paint. It took years to find some that work (and a lot of money in testing), but they are great. I just put some in my office soffit and they charge my glow paint perfectly.

If you go with both the RGB and the UV black light strips (or tubes)... then you will want to have a switch for each. The RGB lights should be on their own because you don't want black lights on at the same time you want red... and then the "tube" black lights will need to be on just an on/off switch. If you go with RGB plus a good UV LED strip... then you can have each of them on a dimmer switch, but you'll want them on their own switch...

Not sure that helps, or makes it more confusing. I'm in a hurry as I write this. Let me know if I can clarify more if needed.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I want color changing LED strips or black light UV LED's to go around my theater in the soffit. What color(s) did you decide to go with? Post pictures!!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Black lights or RGB?

Are you wanting black lights to charge a star ceiling or because you like the look?

If it's because you like the look, then I'd suggest going with the RGB lights and then you can have the black light look... as well as any other color you want at any particular time. By the way, the black light look in the RGB LEDs will NOT charge glow in the dark paint.

If, however, you are wanting to charge glow paint, then you could go with the RGB LEDs for the different colored look in your theater, and then also put in some tube black lights, or I actually did find a supplier of black light UV LED light strips that do an amazing job of charging the glow paint. It took years to find some that work (and a lot of money in testing), but they are great. I just put some in my office soffit and they charge my glow paint perfectly.

If you go with both the RGB and the UV black light strips (or tubes)... then you will want to have a switch for each. The RGB lights should be on their own because you don't want black lights on at the same time you want red... and then the "tube" black lights will need to be on just an on/off switch. If you go with RGB plus a good UV LED strip... then you can have each of them on a dimmer switch, but you'll want them on their own switch...

Not sure that helps, or makes it more confusing. I'm in a hurry as I write this. Let me know if I can clarify more if needed.

Jeff

(PS... Sorry for the double post. When I hit submit, it came back as though it didn't go through, so I hit it again. Now, there is no "delete the post" button.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page