• 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By unretarded

post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exterior Sound dampening.

Hey guys in a new member on the forum, I need help with sound escaping my home and possibly bothering my neighbors. I understand I can't soundproof the room since the dry was is up and it wasn't built with this intent however, I would like to minimize the sound escaping my theater/living room from entering their home. I'm crafty so diy panels aren't a problem but I'm looking for ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Reduce SPL levels is about the only feasible way.............I assume it is the low bass/sub, but given the amount of windows it could also be the highs depending on SPL.

Move sub closer to listening position.........LFE at 80hz instead of 100hz, some sort of tactile transducers in the seating or some sort of minidsp to reduce the worst offending frequencies.

None of which is the most conducive to great sound.

You could spend a lot of money or do a lot of work and in the end not be much better than you are now......

Is it the highs or lows ?

Have you checked yet ?

Turn the receiver/music/movie on and set a normal listening level then go see what is happening outside........find a level you think is safe and stay at or below that volume...........be sure to do it when it is quiet outside....a mid day listen will be drowned out by all the ambient noise.

I would love to say, just do this or just buy this......but it is way more complicated than that and there is really nothing significant to be done without going all in.

No spare bedroom or basement to work with ?

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #3 of 10 Old 09-02-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Reduce SPL levels is about the only feasible way.............I assume it is the low bass/sub, but given the amount of windows it could also be the highs depending on SPL.

Move sub closer to listening position.........LFE at 80hz instead of 100hz, some sort of tactile transducers in the seating or some sort of minidsp to reduce the worst offending frequencies.

None of which is the most conducive to great sound.

You could spend a lot of money or do a lot of work and in the end not be much better than you are now......

Is it the highs or lows ?

Have you checked yet ?

Turn the receiver/music/movie on and set a normal listening level then go see what is happening outside........find a level you think is safe and stay at or below that volume...........be sure to do it when it is quiet outside....a mid day listen will be drowned out by all the ambient noise.

I would love to say, just do this or just buy this......but it is way more complicated than that and there is really nothing significant to be done without going all in.

No spare bedroom or basement to work with ?

Yes I have spare bedrooms but I leave them at just that, Spare bedrooms although one is my music room (guitar and such). My home isn't brick which is a lot of the problem, outside you hear lows miss and highs, but I believe it's the pb16 ultra that could cause the most disturbance. My next home will be built around this but as I'm still working on my degree for my employer, I'm not in the state or position I would like to be in yet so I didn't actually build this house. I'm just looking for ways to minimize noise from my home to the next.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are people on here that know WAY more than me, but honestly, there is not in my opinion a lot to do that is within reason or acceptable.

Now if you want to board the windows up like pre hurricane landfall, then you might get a little out of it.....

Those windows are the biggest leak and even if you eliminated them, single layer walls are not that great at reducing bass a amount acceptable for a sub like that......

Do some volume tests, you would be surprised with some of the above tips how loud you can have it......for me one of the biggest gains was crossing at 80hz instead of 100hz.......at 100hz it carries/can be heard much farther for me in my house. The second biggest gain was moving the sub as close to the listening position as possible, which allowed me to reduce volume,but still have it just as loud to me.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2017, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
There are people on here that know WAY more than me, but honestly, there is not in my opinion a lot to do that is within reason or acceptable.

Now if you want to board the windows up like pre hurricane landfall, then you might get a little out of it.....

Those windows are the biggest leak and even if you eliminated them, single layer walls are not that great at reducing bass a amount acceptable for a sub like that......

Do some volume tests, you would be surprised with some of the above tips how loud you can have it......for me one of the biggest gains was crossing at 80hz instead of 100hz.......at 100hz it carries/can be heard much farther for me in my house. The second biggest gain was moving the sub as close to the listening position as possible, which allowed me to reduce volume,but still have it just as loud to me.

Nice, I'll give it a try. I don't use the two large windows down here as I have others in my home that suffice. Nothing nice to look at from their view I guess except the neighbors house. I thought about using 2 inch foam backed with a layer of cardboard with 1 inch foam on top of that for the 2 windows.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-03-2017, 06:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
At the current stage the only solution is to add more layers of drywall to the walls with a dampening compound like Green Glue. Then attack the windows with substantial window plugs or cover them when adding the drywall. If you are serious about building a theater room you need to rip the room down to the studs and rebuild using room within a room strategies. At a minimum clips and channel wall construction, and double 5/8 drywall with GG.

The simplest fix will be quality surround sound headphones,

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 09-03-2017 at 06:13 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
At the current stage the only solution is to add more layers of drywall to the walls with a dampening compound like Green Glue. Then attack the windows with substantial window plugs or cover them when adding the drywall. If you are serious about building a theater room you need to rip the room down to the studs and rebuild using room within a room strategies. At a minimum clips and channel wall construction, and double 5/8 drywall with GG.

I'm going to try my foam idea, no one has complained yet. I bought the place so I didn't have the rooms built as I would have them as I only plan on being here a couple years. Then my home will be built to my specs, theater room and all. I'm looking for temporary cheap band aids.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I made a post that did not show up, the foam will do pretty much nothing for bass and minimal for highs.

You need mass and density or material and isolation for it to work.........you could do drywall and get some benefit, but with that sub and a single layer of drywall in the rest of the room, it will never block more than the walls and I can assure you, those walls are not blocking a lot.

If you are set on plugging the windows to give it a try, foam will do about nothing to block sound.

I am sure, some one could show you how to build a window plug that will work on here, and be functional.

I can assure you, foam is not the way to do it.
LydMekk likes this.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Hi. For smaller windows, is concrete board a bad idea to cover to usee inside the window frame as I plug? It is substantially heavier so I was thinking the mass would be good?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
Yes I've used concrete board in backer box construction. But what ever board you pick will work best in a constrained dampening layer design. Two layers with Green Glue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page