Advice on Layout and more!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJack123 View Post
Which chairs do you recommend for the recliners? Also, u think I could get 6 in one row? I mean 17 feet is pretty wide. And I'm really still a little bit confused about where to put the speakers. I take it you're recommending a 71 system where I'd have three in the front two on the sides and two in the rear, now should those be in the walls or the ceiling?
Check the widths of the recliners you want to use. Many are over 3' wide, so six won't fit in a 17' wide room, and even five would leave very narrow aisles. You could put separate entrances for first and second row so you don't need aisles, but aisle space is good for sound as well so you don't have a side surround speaker stuck in your ear.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, two more questions. If part of lens is covered by a floor joist(or drywall), how would that work? And if your in a recliner at 42", why couldn't I do a 7-8 inch riser. I know everyone thinks a 12 inch is necessary but my buddy has a theater in his basement and they did a 7 inch and works beautifully.
Light only passes through half the lens, so only half the lens needs to be below the lower edge of the ceiling.

If a riser is only 7" tall, then people reclined won't be able to see the bottom of the screen over the heads of the first row. If eye line only falls 7" in 6' distance from first to second row, then in the additional 10' to the screen it will only fall another 12". So the eyes of the second row can only be 19" above the bottom of the screen. Add the 12" from floor to bottom of screen and the second row eyes can't be more than 31" off the floor and 24" above a 7" riser. You see the problem ? Play with the triangles from lens to top and bottom of screen and again with the eye positions and head tops for seated people. More sure all paths are clear.

Kirk Ellis
post #33 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
All very good points. Yes, 4 seems the reasonable. Ok. Few questions then. Why did u suggest making screen 16'? Also, if I did decide to do a 16:9 (120 inch screen) is there a projector you'd recommend? One that doesn't have to be lowered to much to hit top of screen? And what about some very low profile chairs out in front of the first row, kind of like low chaises. Would that limit my view from the first row of recliners, since the screen is only gonna be 12 inches off the ground? I'm really not looking for a bar or really a table to eat at, since I will be primarily watching movies in complete darkness. I'm looking to get maximum seating. Maybe couches are my answer, like in a sectional design.

post #34 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Like these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721_1506140272579.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2286716  
post #35 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I do go with a 16:9 screen(possibly 120 inch) what projector would be best to get? The Sony or a cheaper benq? I need it to be close to ceiling as possible. I kind of understand what you were saying before about the lenses, but that was for a huge screen, right?
It was to get a wider image from a closer projector mounting.

Kirk Ellis
post #36 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm getting this now. Second row, out. I just wanna make sure I know my options on screen now. I do like the 2.35 big screen. But could I do a 16.9, since my projector would probably be way cheaper? I mean I don't mind the price of epson, but wouldn't mind doing a more budget friendly place too. That is if I could make it work. Even the Sony 45 seems a little cheaper. Man, there's lots of options.
post #37 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, thanks. I appreciate you helping me figure this thing out!
post #38 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I know I'm asking lots of questions but I wanna do it right the first time, obviously everyone probably does
Tedd likes this.
post #39 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone help with my projector issue? I'm wondering if a 16.9 capable projector would work? If I go 2.35 I will get the epson 5040. But I need a projector that has a larger throw right? Man there's too many questions.
post #40 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
It was to get a wider image from a closer projector mounting.
Im still wondering if i can do a 16:9 in my room? If so any specific projector to recommend? I like the 2.35 idea but just wanna know my options. I guess in my room, i need a projector to throw about 16 foot right? and to have a lens capable of only half of it being under ceiling? And about the second row. I think one row wouldn't be bad. I really would like a second. I also saw those little chairs that kind of like lay on the ground that I guess we can use for the kids. But i was just wondering if i could do a 3.5 inch riser and then another 3.5 inch where the seats are? I know you talked about the second row not being able to see over tops of heads. Is this cause my screen is only 12 inches off the ground? Cause I googled risers and I saw a lot that weren't even 7-8 inches. For what its worth, Im expecting if I'm reclined in the back row, the first row will be inclined too. Oh yeah, and would u put sub on front wall in corner or a side wall? Does it matter? Just cause my front wall will be built out 2-3 feet? Oh yeah and how many feet should a AY wall screen be built?
post #41 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I've often wondered about the combination of low loungers up front, and a low riser ( 5-7")for seats as a second row is an option for some low ceiling rooms, with adequate room depth. And combine it all with an AT screen so the audio isn't blocked by the loungers.

You would put most likely put all your subs up front, and front corner bass trapping too. Make the most of the room depth you give up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 525x525px-LL-dfdf427b_vbattach234120.jpeg (186.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg delux2.jpg (193.9 KB, 14 views)
post #42 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I've often wondered about the combination of low loungers up front, and a low riser ( 5-7")for seats as a second row is an option for some low ceiling rooms, with adequate room depth. And combine it all with an AT screen so the audio isn't blocked by the loungers.

You would put most likely put all your subs up front, and front corner bass trapping too. Make the most of the room depth you give up.
SO how many subs would you recommend? And what is front corner bass trapping? Thanks
post #43 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And about the second row. I think one row wouldn't be bad. I really would like a second. I also saw those little chairs that kind of like lay on the ground that I guess we can use for the kids. But i was just wondering if i could do a 3.5 inch riser and then another 3.5 inch where the seats are? I know you talked about the second row not being able to see over tops of heads. Is this cause my screen is only 12 inches off the ground? Cause I googled risers and I saw a lot that weren't even 7-8 inches. For what its worth, Im expecting if I'm reclined in the back row, the first row will be inclined too.
Draw the triangles.

Kirk Ellis
post #44 of 46 Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like two subs, as a very solid start. And an AT screen and AT wall pair up nicely with DIY subs, with simple black finishes.

Sight lines can be planned out by drawing the room from the side, and utilizing projectorcentral.com's calculator for projector specifications.
Assuming a 3.5" riser and a second one, isn't planning. You need a scale drawing with eyes, heads, and ideally ears, planted in space.

I often wonder if something like these chairs, might make for a decent front row, for a lower ceiling room. A little low to get down into, and out of, but they might be the difference maker in some rooms, so the second row can properly see the bottom of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low chair.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	2288784  
post #45 of 46 Old 09-28-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

www.projectorcentral.com's calculator could give solid numbers, including brightness.
post #46 of 46 Old 10-04-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

I really wanna know if I go with a 16:9 AT screen, what projector can I use. The epson 5040 was suggested with a 2.35 screen. My situation I explained earlier is that my room is 17 wide by 22 foot long. The screen is going on the 17 wide wall. At midway in room, 11', the ceiling goes to an 81-82 inch high ceiling from a 71-72 inch high. So the front 11'(which will be more like 8' after the AT wall is only at 72" high. This is because the floor above is a sunken family room. The projector would be mounted over the first row or second row bar. So it will be in the 81-82 inch area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page