Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Advice on Layout and more!!!

Hey all, just moved and been a long time follower. My basement(where I'm gonna build the theater) is nice and open. Its a T-ranch house. So I have this area that I can use is 17'6" by 22' and another area that is just shy of 12' by 23'. I kind of think the 17 by 22 is the way to go however, it gets worse!. Above it is a sunken living room, so the ceiling is only 74 inches on half of it, then 81 and a half inches on the other half. Everywhere else, including the 12 by 23 room is 82" also.

Any ideas on layout.

After that, Im looking at would you build a riser?

Also, a good projector option under 3k, but I'm liking models under 1500. Im looking at epson 2150 and Benq, and even the Sony 45. Im also liking this new ultra short throw by epson, by thinking something hanging would be better and cheaper and 3d! Its just that Im concerned about how low it would hang (since that short ceilings).

Lastly, Im wondering how you would layout speakers. I would prefer an AT screen with speakers behind screen. Im just not sure where to put center with that low of ceiling(if I even need one) or other ones. And I have no clue about ATMOS, don't know anything about them. Oh yeah, and if speakers are placed behind screen how close to concrete wall can they be? I would have to compensate my studs for them and I have basement insulation right now over the bare concrete.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1698 (1).jpg (1.85 MB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1699 (1).jpg (1.68 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1700 (1).jpg (1.87 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1697 (1).jpg (1.68 MB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

This is pic of what I was talking about with half of it (on left) with the lower ceiling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1696 (1).jpg (1.79 MB, 71 views)
post #3 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

The last picture is the room that is 17' by 22' with the low ceiling half of it. I was thinking of putting the screen on the wall to the left, which would be the low height of 74 inches. The seats would be at the 10 foot mark and second row wherever. Just have no clue on how big I can go this way as far as screen(where to hang and at what height) and what projector to use. Lot of thinking to do,

post #4 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I'd be inclined to use the larger space and put the screen in the low section as you describe. You will probably end up wanting to put the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. A flat black ceiling would be strongly recommended. The rest of your ceiling is obviously pretty low, but many people have made that work.

The top of the projector lens would need to be at about the same level as the low part of the ceiling to project under it. If you put the projector directly above the seating, you can't bump your head on it, or put it at the back of the room, but make sure that it is not in an area that you will need to walk under it.

You generally want the midrange and tweeters on your speakers at ear level, and it is best to put the left, center and right speakers all at the same level. With your ceiling so low, you certainly don't have room to put the center speaker above the screen, and below is generally not a good idea. An acoustically transparent screen would definitely be the best plan.

At under 7' tall, you really don't have enough ceiling height to put in a riser. You might be able to put in a "mini-riser" that is just under the seating, so that it raises the seats but doesn't interfere with headroom when standing.

Another option to consider is jackhammering out the concrete floor in the center to create a sunken lower area for the front row seating. You could do it with an area just large enough for the seating and four to six feet in front, rather than going all of the way to the sides and the front.
post #5 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5130 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Agree with the above post: screen on the shorter wall, seating in the slightly taller half of the room. IF you are going to do two rows and have the second row on a short riser, stagger the seating: 3 in the front row, 4 in the back row, so that viewers in the back row are in between viewers in the front row. Difficult to pull off Atmos successfully with such low ceilings. Instead, I would raise the side speakers and rear speakers close to the ceiling so that all listeners have clear line of sight to the tweeters.

Sanjay
post #6 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I agree,

Way off topic but that hot water tank looks like it is poorly located...
post #7 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so if I do the screen on short wall(72) tall by 17 foot wide, any recommendations on the size of screen I should do? Also, the height changes at about 11 feet, (each half is 11x17) so where would you locate the seats? I thought I could get a row in the short side, about at the 9-10 foot mark, then make a little 7 inch riser where the height is 81 inches. That still makes a 6 foot tall person one inch to spare. Haha. Or I can do a riser just where the seats are so a taller person can walk around, such as 2, 3 1/2 inch risers. All that said, what projector should I be looking at and where would be best to mount? I figure if behind second row, it would have to be pretty far back, so I'd need a far throw. Realistically, the biggest screen I'm gonna get is a 110, if I'm lucky a 120.
post #8 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

lmao on the water tank. Yeah, what were they thinking? Why couldn't they put it near a wall?
post #9 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry it's 74 tall, no ceiling yet though. And the other is 81 inch tall.
post #10 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Any advice on projector for my situation?
post #11 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Just how many seats do you actually need?

That 17.5' X 22' space could be a really nice single row of four seat layout. Maybe the savings in seating might become projector budget?
And then maybe a bigger AT screen become a realistic option.

I wouldn't bother with ATMOS with a low ceiling.
post #12 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I can do one row. Whatever you all recommend. The 22 is the length and width would be 17 ish. I think 17 feet I could get quite a few seats. Maybe more than 4? The ceiling goes up to 81 inches at about the 12(-2 feet for my AT wall). So really it will go up at about the 10 foot mark. Which is where my seats should be located I take it. That being said, what size screen would u recommend because that wall is only 74 inches tall(no ceiling yet either). Also where would u mount the projector? On ceiling, floor? What projector do u recommend, one with a throw about 15 feet to be behind seats? And would u buy a stock AT screen or make one?
post #13 of 46 Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

17 feet wide is a wide screen but I only have 72 inches of height to play with. I read the 2.35 vs 16.9. Not sure of that either but I guess 16.9 is just easier and more projector options if I'm correct?
post #14 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJack123 View Post
17 feet wide is a wide screen but I only have 72 inches of height to play with. I read the 2.35 vs 16.9. Not sure of that either but I guess 16.9 is just easier and more projector options if I'm correct?
The height limit does make placing at least the center channel speaker behind an AT screen a good choice. So does a 2.40:1 screen fit a low ceiling better. A 12'x5' AT spandex screen paired with the Epson 5040 would let you use its powered zoom, focus, and lens shift to go back and forth between 122" 16:9 and 156" 2.40:1 with the push of the remote button. Projectors with a minimum vertical offset like the Benq HT2050 would not be able to hit a screen top edge all the way up against the ceiling. Building an AT screen from spandex isn't going to cost more than $150, so that may make the $2300 Epson price more palatable. Or the Epson 4000 with its slightly lower contrast and $1999 price but still with lens memory might work for you. Also the JVCs have powered lenses. There are a lot of low hours used JVCs in the classifieds section if cost is more important than buying new with a warranty.

Like everyone else, I would place the screen at the low end of the 17x22 room. With a baffle wall for the AT screen, you will lose 2' from the 11' beam so your ceiling height change will only be 9' away and your first row at 2' past the beam will allow more headroom. You might even want the first row further or the baffle wall deeper so actual walking height to the seats is within the higher ceiling area. I would put four recliners in the first row, and a 12' long seating bar behind it with five chairs on a 6" riser. Sitting upright, you don't need as tall a riser as recliners in a second row. You will need to place the projector as close to the screen as possible so seated viewers are not in the light path to the bottom of the screen with it being only 12" off the floor. Lens at 16'2" for the projectors above. Tape a piece of string to a something 12" off the floor where the screen will go and to where the lens would be at 16' to ensure the projector will clear people's heads. Having the projector hang over the seating bar will ensure people don't bump their heads on it, but 16' would be too far back from even a 12'x5' screen.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub

Last edited by dreamer; 09-21-2017 at 12:29 AM.
post #15 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so just curious, if I'm building a custom screen, should it be those exact measurements or can I make any size I want? Or will this mess up things with the projector? Also, I like your ideas. The price is ok for epson, (not happy about the 300 replacement bulbs). But I can do it. I was thinking a huge screen like the one you recommend is gonna be way better. This is my first projector but originally I was looking into the 2.35 or 2.40 CinemaScope screens because of my height, but other posts seem to recommend the 16.9. But I'm liking your idea. so you'd by the screen instead of pay? Also, is the center channel just basically another tower speaker? And lastly the three speakers behind screen, I get. But where would u put the sub, and rears(or bookshelfs)? Thanks again
post #16 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I meant to ask if you'd build the screen instead of buying one? Also, I take it the sweet spot to mount this projector is 16'. If that's the case, would my front row seats be in the way if I put them around 10-12 foot?
post #17 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 438
You won't get far on a design until you establish your seating needs.

My template for a nice budget build in that 17.5'x22' space would be a single row of seating and a BIG scope screen, which
might mean looking at the used JVC market and used anamorphic lens market. A slightly deeper AT space would eat some
of that lower ceiling height space visually. Basically a seating row version of JBL's demo room, but I'd go a little more hardcore
with the side walls and start to think along the lines of The Cave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL demo room 1.JPG (108.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg The Cave.jpg (36.8 KB, 26 views)
post #18 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, why would building a wall out eat up height of screen? Wouldn't walll be same height, just two foot off cement wall? And yes, I'm with u on going hardcore. And when u build a custom screen can u make it any size you want or do u have to stick to normal measurements? Any suggestions on Speaker and sub positions? Also, could I use the epson instead of jvc? The epson seems more reasonable and I thought that was capable of 2.35 or 2.4(not sure what's the difference between those two) and 16:9. Thanks
post #19 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

And now another question just came to my mind. If I decided to stick with a 16.9, 120 inch screen(cost savings) what projector would be best for me with the limited height? U said something about the benq, but I didn't understand. I would like to know my options at least cause even though I'd love that 12 foot wide 2.35 screen, I'm thinking 2500 is kind of expensive for something that I read that people aren't happy with it not being true 4K, hdr. If I'm gonna pay big bucks, I want the latest tech. Maybe I will just get it anyway, lol. It's either this or a new Harley, lol.
post #20 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I just understood what you meant if I build screen wall out more. Duh!!!! Ok yes I can buil it out a few feet. That's cool. I guess if I use the epson 2.35 big screen, what I'd be worried about is where to place the projector. Right over first row of seats? And is it definitely no possibility of second row? Would really love to accommodate 8.
post #21 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I just understood what you meant if I build screen wall out more. Duh!!!! Ok yes I can buil it out a few feet. That's cool. I guess if I use the epson 2.35 big screen, what I'd be worried about is where to place the projector. Right over first row of seats? And is it definitely no possibility of second row? Would really love to accommodate 8.
Any projector is going to need to hang with its lens below the 72" ceiling height, leaving you with possibly only 68"-70" headroom under it. Obviously, that means you want it hung where people won't walk -- either directly over seats or a table or bar area. In addition, the less expensive projectors, with the exception of the Epson 2045, all shoot their image down from the lens height when mounted on the ceiling. That means even with the lens as high as it could go, the top of the image would still be several inches lower. That is why I said the popular entry level Benq HT2050 for $750 won't work for you.

The projectors that WILL work like the Epson 4000/5040/ and JVCs all need a minimum throw distance of 1.4 x the image width. A 12' wide screen, which could be any size if you build it, but I think is a good width for your 17' wide front wall, would need to have those projectors a minimum of 12x1.4= 16'+ away from the screen surface. The exception would be if you used an anamorphic lens to expend the image horizontally instead of just zooming the projector wider. Brand new anamorphic lenses of good quality are very expensive -- upwards of $2000 -- but lenses are never obsolete and unless damaged are good forever. There are a few good ones that popup in the classifieds now and then for $1000. In that case, a $1800 Sony 45ES or the Epsons or JVCs could be placed at 14' and just adjust the anamorphic lens without needing the powered zoom on the projector -- the Sony becomes a valid choice because you would no longer need the powered lens the others have. 14' would be a much better distance for you, because it would hang just above a table or seating bar behind the main seats where people wouldn't walk under it. Even the $750 Benq HT2050 or $500 HT1070 might become usable since the anamorphic lens also changes the vertical position of the image an maybe allow it to be up at ceiling height. You would need to research lenses from Prismasonic and Panamorph to find out what vertical range is possible. Even pointing the projector away from the screen and bouncing the image off a mirror can work to adjust the height of the image by tilting the mirror.

Having 8 seats in your room is not a problem. A second row of RECLINERS is a problem in that you don't have the headroom and your screen will be so low to the ground that a second row of recliners really would NEED to be elevated. People sitting at a long table-height bar in comfy chairs would not need to be elevated to see over the heads of a first row of recliners -- because their eyes would be so much closer to the first row and because they would not be reclined. Surround speakers are also much closer to correct placement for both rows than two rows of recliners can achieve. Having a comfortable place to actually sit and eat a meal while watching the big screen is nice -- a 2' deep and 12' long table is comfortable seating for up to 6 people.

As far as speaker placement goes, I think one sub would go behind the AT screen baffle wall in a front corner and another in the opposite rear corner of the room. Audio is not my thing, though. Having an AT screen means you can indeed use identical tower speakers for center as well and right and left, where a non-AT screen usually means finding space above or below a screen for a horizontal center speaker.

Kirk Ellis
post #22 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. So the projector would not be in the way of second row or blowing air in their faces since it will only be 67-68 inches high? Also, tears go on back wall, side wall, or ceiling? How is it watching a movie in those style chairs for back row? Is it comfortable and can you sit like that for a whole movie?
post #23 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help. So the projector would not be in the way of second row or blowing air in their faces since it will only be 67-68 inches high? Also, tears go on back wall, side wall, or ceiling? How is it watching a movie in those style chairs for back row? Is it comfortable and can you sit like that for a whole movie?
Well, the entire projector wouldn't be below the lower ceiling height, just half the lens. Bottom of the projector would probably be 69-70" off the floor. Sitting in a regular chair, the top of my head is 56" and sitting in a recliner 42". I am 6'1", so the projector would be at least a foot above me sitting at the bar and two feet when in a recliner. All of the proposed projectors except the Benq exhaust their air forward, so if these projectors are overhead they will not blow air onto anyone's faces. You might hear them in a silent scene, but otherwise not.

People sit in office chairs for hours at a time, and I think you can do better than office chairs for comfort.

Kirk Ellis
post #24 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, two more questions. If part of lens is covered by a floor joist(or drywall), how would that work? And if your in a recliner at 42", why couldn't I do a 7-8 inch riser. I know everyone thinks a 12 inch is necessary but my buddy has a theater in his basement and they did a 7 inch and works beautifully.
post #25 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and what mount would u get for the epson? Do I need one if I'm flush mounting it?
post #26 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

And what about those seatcraft Rialtos? That have risers built into them? Just curious.
post #27 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 162
You can make the screen any size you want, just stick to a ratio that makes sense or you will either have the image spilling out on one direction or have white space you aren't projecting on. 16:9 if you want to just stick to what the projector displays, scope 2.35:1 (or 2.4:1, close to the same thing) if you want to either use a lens or use zoom to show movies without letterbox bars. If you are going with scope and zooming, it is best to use a projector with power lens zoom and shift memory, or you will be manually changing it back and forth for different media.

I had the Sony HW40ES in my last theater and I loved it. It was super quiet in low lamp mode, which was very important on a short ceiling. The projector sat only a few feet above my head when sitting, so having a projector that is only ~22db is really nice. The 45 is even nicer, but I am pretty sure that like the 40, it doesn't have any power zoom or shift, so not well suited for scope screens. I skipped the Epson because of the fan noise, but you can get lens memory in the same price range as the Sony, so it is really a matter of what direction you go on the screen.

Two rows is going to be tight in that room, especially with an AT screen wall. I would do what you can to avoid placing your front row at the midpoint of the room. You are going to have room modes at 11', and probably some issues half way between the speakers and the back wall as well, so placing the front row ears at 10' could be pretty ugly. I would personally go for around 13-14' back from the front wall, and as suggested, go with non-reclining back row seating. I don't like the elevated second row seats from seatcraft and palliser, your feet can't touch the ground when sitting in them.

It is good to have space between the walls and the seats, but for 2 rows in that room, you will probably have the back row nearly pinned to the wall. As recommended, skip atmos and go with surrounds placed high on the walls angled down toward the listeners. Your width is good for a row of 4, but pinned to the back wall you will have rear surrounds blasting back row listeners if you place them at ear level. If you do rear speakers high up, do the side surrounds high up too.

Finally, while I can't disagree on doing an AT wall for speakers placed at ear level in the front, I ran a center under a 120" screen in a room with 7' ceilings and it worked just fine. I never noticed dialogue sounding too low on the screen. Just my opinion though.
post #28 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Which chairs do you recommend for the recliners? Also, u think I could get 6 in one row? I mean 17 feet is pretty wide. And I'm really still a little bit confused about where to put the speakers. I take it you're recommending a 71 system where I'd have three in the front two on the sides and two in the rear, now should those be in the walls or the ceiling?
post #29 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

If I do go with a 16:9 screen(possibly 120 inch) what projector would be best to get? The Sony or a cheaper benq? I need it to be close to ceiling as possible. I kind of understand what you were saying before about the lenses, but that was for a huge screen, right?
post #30 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, two more questions. If part of lens is covered by a floor joist(or drywall), how would that work? And if your in a recliner at 42", why couldn't I do a 7-8 inch riser. I know everyone thinks a 12 inch is necessary but my buddy has a theater in his basement and they did a 7 inch and works beautifully.
Draw yourself a triangle. 5' tall on the left side and vertical, 16' on horizontal top, and a line connecting the right end of the top line to the bottom of the left vertical line.

Mark a point horizontally 12' from the left line. That is where the back of your head would be when reclined in the first row. It is only 33" tall. Added to the 12" off the floor, 45" seating height total for the first row which is just barely enough. At the 14' distance, where people seated at a bar would be, seating height would be 64" so seating height is again fine. Of course anywhere beyond the 16' lens position is at a full 70", but if you start reducing that height for a riser it is going to start to feel cramped.

Now draw another line from the bottom of the screen to the eye level at each position to see if it goes lower than the "top of heads" position of the first row. The further back the second row is, the shallower the angle and the more trouble people have seeing past the first row.

Kirk Ellis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page