How do you guys run cables to your equipment closets? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By Kevin4730
  • 1 Post By sirjaymz

post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
How do you guys run cables to your equipment closets?

I am finally ready to start hooking up all of my equipment. Right now all of the cables from the theater room are sitting on the ceiling of the equipment closet (which is outside of the theater). They are all coiled up so now I need to figure out the best way to get them inside of the closet. I was thinking about drilling a couple of 3" holes in the ceiling and then epoxying some PVC pipe in the holes and then run everything through.

I'm not sure this is the best idea but I don't want to just drill some holes through the drywall ceiling and run the wires through - I'd like a somewhat neat solution. Here is a shot of the closet - the bottom 1/3 is a concrete block so the floor of the closet is actually the old floor in the basement before we excavated.

The area behind the closet is open so I have the option of running the cables through the rear wall of the closet or down from the ceiling. Coming through the ceiling will probably make it a little neater behind the closet (where I have limited storage) so that is my preference.

I'm looking for an easy solution that also looks good inside of the closet and won't create a tangled mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
you wouldn't be the first to use PVC pipe in the ceiling, This is what AuburnU08 did in the White Oaks project:

rboster, femi, jedi1982 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you wouldn't be the first to use PVC pipe in the ceiling, This is what AuburnU08 did in the White Oaks project:

Wow - it's like we are going to have the exact same setup... minus all the equipment... and the rack.

I knew I saw the PVC solution somewhere and I should have guessed it was White Oaks since I'm basically copying it. What I can't figure out is what all the components are for and why there appears to be 35+ sets of speaker wires leading out of the rack and to the room. Why 2 receivers? Can anyone label everything for me? As far as I can tell in my closet there will be:

(1) Denon 6300 receiver (7.4.2 capability)
(1) FIOS DVR/cable box for TV
(1) Xbox One X for games and movies and Netflix (eventually)
(1) iNuke 6000DSP amp for the 2 subwoofers
(2) Dayton Audio SA1000 amps for buttkickers in 7 seats
(1) Insteon Hub to control lighting

Am I missing anything major? I haven't figured out the remote control situation yet. I'm a little worried I'm missing something obvious since many many racks I see around here have a lot more stuff hooked up.

I'll use a regular Xbox One for the time being until the X is released. I am planning to build a HTPC for other stuff eventually but nothing in the immediate future.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
What I can't figure out is what all the components are for and why there appears to be 35+ sets of speaker wires leading out of the rack and to the room. Why 2 receivers? Can anyone label everything for me?
Didn't go back and look at the thread, but its almost certainly amps and AVRs for multiple rooms and whole house audio (WHA)... Great when you can get the theater gear and the "whole house AV" gear in one location!

Jeff
Kevin4730 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Didn't go back and look at the thread, but its almost certainly amps and AVRs for multiple rooms and whole house audio (WHA)... Great when you can get the theater gear and the "whole house AV" gear in one location!

Jeff
Yep, you got it. Auburn breaks things out in his thread in the first post.

He's basically using an amp to power each speaker and he has 16 subs so he needs 4 amps for that plus a whole host of other things.

Javery - my rack looks a lot more like yours. I have a Denon receiver, Direct TV receiver, 4K Blu Ray, iNuke6000dsp, a VHS/DVD combo for good measure (while I transfer some old tapes to digital), Harmony remote hub, cable modem, wifi router, and my Lutron Caseta hub (wireless lights). I have all the basic needs covered with room for a few additions, if needed.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Definitely wish I could redo my closet with PVC pipes. That's a good look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thxman likes this.

TV: Panasonic 60" VT60 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 5.1.2 Definitive Technology BP7006 (front), DefTech studio 350's (rear), Def Tech Di6.5r (ceiling) Players: Raspberry Pi running OpenElec/Kodi, Roku, Sony Blu-ray Control: Control4, whole house automation
post #7 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I saw the PVC solution as well, and will be implementing that to get wires from attic into the soffit zone, and then down an additional MDF box down the wall to get near my rack within the room.

I probably will stuff the tube full of roxul once to isolate sound and provide insulation from the hot texas summers.
rboster likes this.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #8 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yup, I went the same route. I didn't have any framing in close proximity to mount the PVC to so I cut holes in a 2x8 and ran the conduit through it. The 2x8 sits (with adhesive) in the ceiling laying flat on the drywall. You want to make sure you mount the PVC to something, those cables add up to a lot of weight and will cause the pipe to damage the drywall over time.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm running 1 1/2 inch Carlon rigid PVC conduit (two runs) to make sure I can get from the rear false wall to the the equipment closet, and equipment closet to front false wall literally right now. I won't be actually running any wire through them though...they're only there for future use! It makes sense if you have everything open to not run anything through the conduit, unless code dictates it.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys - I’m going to try the PVC today. Any thoughts on the best way to mount it in the drywall? I like Gouie’s suggestion but I don’t have a 2x8 or the means to drill a hole big enough through something like that. I can use a drywall saw to make a big hole but I’ll need to check on my hole saw situation...
post #11 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Thanks guys - I’m going to try the PVC today. Any thoughts on the best way to mount it in the drywall? I like Gouie’s suggestion but I don’t have a 2x8 or the means to drill a hole big enough through something like that. I can use a drywall saw to make a big hole but I’ll need to check on my hole saw situation...
Are there any studs/joists in the top of the closet? If so, you could take a piece of 1x6 or 1x8 board that you stain or paint, drill out your pvc holes and mount the pvc to the board, then screw the board to the joists... don't know if that makes any sense??
post #12 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you don't have a hole saw you could follow what I did but with short pieces of 2x4 or 2x2. Just lay the pieces in a box around the conduit, again glued to the drywall. I use PL400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page