Outlet boxes/extensions for triple drywall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Outlet boxes/extensions for triple drywall

I'm finishing up the electrical in my room before the sheetrock goes back up. After discussing the soundproofing with Ted White, I'll be using three layers of 5/8" drywall with two layers of GG, decoupled with clips/channels.

I've found different adjustable gang boxes and box extenders, but it seems that they only extend up to around 1.75". With the clips/channels plus the drywall, I anticipate that it would need to be around 2.75" out from the studs. Has anyone dealt with this...what options are there for this application?

Thanks for the help.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just cut scrap 2 x 4's and nailed them to the studs to extend the boxes.

You might want to consider what Big does and build the outlets into the columns, provided you're going to be building columns. That way you don't have to deal with the box extensions (at least for the outlets) and putty pads. I would have done that, but I didn't know any better when I built the room. Oh well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0237.JPG (184.2 KB, 108 views)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Also, by attaching the gang box to the stud you are essentially re-coupling the drywall. If you don't have columns in your plan I would suggest that you attach the gang box to the back of the first layer of drywall, not the stud. This will keep things de-coupled and you will only need 1 7/8" extension.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I just cut scrap 2 x 4's and nailed them to the studs to extend the boxes.

You might want to consider what Big does and build the outlets into the columns, provided you're going to be building columns. That way you don't have to deal with the box extensions (at least for the outlets) and putty pads. I would have done that, but I didn't know any better when I built the room. Oh well.
Thank you, sir. I appreciate it. That sounds like an easy way to make it work. However, I do also like the idea of putting them inside the columns as well, without needing to cut additional holes in the room's shell.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Also, by attaching the gang box to the stud you are essentially re-coupling the drywall. If you don't have columns in your plan I would suggest that you attach the gang box to the back of the first layer of drywall, not the stud. This will keep things de-coupled and you will only need 1 7/8" extension.
Yeah, I had wondered about that. It makes sense.

Since my room is only 12ft wide, I was trying to not do any type of deep columns. I was thinking more of a pilaster design, just a few inches off the wall, to preserve space laterally. I think building them in there would be the best option.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
Yeah, I had wondered about that. It makes sense.

Since my room is only 12ft wide, I was trying to not do any type of deep columns. I was thinking more of a pilaster design, just a few inches off the wall, to preserve space laterally. I think building them in there would be the best option.
My room ended up being just under 11' 6" when finished, if I'm remembering correctly. I was able to add columns to house the surround and surround back speakers, along with a sconce. If you make them relatively shallow, it can work.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Or leave a 1/4" gap between the box and the drywall and caulk the gap with acoustical sealant. Make sure that the blocking (scrap of wood) does not contact the drywall. If necessary, use a small scrap and cut a hole in the first layer of drywall so that it fits around the blocking without touching.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Are you proposing using a cut in box ? How would he place putty pads on the boxes to isolate sound? Theres nothing wrong with mounting to the stud as shown , and as DaveClement said , leave a gap around the box then fill with acoustic caulk .

It was like that when I got here
post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 89
That approach would work just fine, hadn't thought about leaving a gap and sealing.

Not sure what a cut in box is? Where I mounted to the backside of the drywall I enclosed the gang box in a double drywall green glue backer box. Pics are in my build thread if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page