Best lights for dimming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Best lights for dimming

Im at the lighting phase of my room. I enjoi lighting dimmed down to the equivilent of an old 6watt candle light, all the way up to task lighting for working and cleaning up.

I F'ing hate noise, i seem to have a better ear for that Lol, and with that in mind, whats the quietest dimmable bulb.

My budget could be $200 for dimmer, and four lights at the peak of my vaulted ceiling, the vault line goes from front to back, the peak is 18" above the 8' point of the side walls. Room is painted dark brown, i've heard some bulbs react to different colors painted, not sure if that matters, or if its true.

Edison bulbs are probably the coolest light i've ever seem, there are sooooo many to choose from, just throwing that out there.

KG

Is it also a dimmer issue inregards to buzzing and noisy lights or is it always the bulb ????

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 09-22-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: More questions
kgveteran is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
With respect to Zigbee LED bulbs (where you can individually dim them), the only ones I've found so far with zero noise when dimmed are the Philips HUE. They also dim very nicely down to 3% or so. These don't require a dimmer switch..it's all done via the HUE app, or whatever automation hub you have the HUE hub connected to. I've been putting as many as 10 of these on a switch (it's only 90 watts all in for 10 bulbs) and then using automation and motion to decide which come on, when and at what power. For example, in night mode, you can choose to have only 2 of 10 come on, dimmed to 10% so late night wandering doesn't light the place up like Christmas.

Buzzing bulbs when dimmed drive me crazy.

My kids love the HUE lights too as they can be individually controlled by various HUE apps which will strobe and randomly flash them in sync to music as sampled by the mic on their iOS devices. Cheapest cool disco ever if your kids will be using the theater for parties etc.

Last edited by dennwood; 09-22-2017 at 04:41 PM.
dennwood is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Dimmers can be noisy. Be also aware that subtle dimming is not something all dimmers can do.

I use dimmers now for 20 or so years. I bought and use these which are very cheap, 10 euro or so..no noise and subtle dimming. I had more expensive ones but at some point they stopped doing the subtle dimming so no more minimal dimming out of those.

8mile13 is online now  
 
post #4 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
UK Dreamer recommended the Philips R20 Warm Glow bulbs so I got some and they dim really really low with my Insteon dimmer. I mean really, really dim with no flickering and no buzz.

I wanted to use Insteon dimmers because they have the IRLinc kit to allow converting IR signals to send Insteon commands. I admit I haven't gotten to the point of setting that up yet but I'm hopeful that will work as planned. At least the Philips Warm Glow R20 has worked well.
UK Dreamer likes this.
texpilot is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
LydMekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Philips Hue is very good at low lvl dimming.
More expensive, but they work.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
LydMekk is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Has anyone had luck controling these bulbs with an Amazon echo Dot, or other voice recognition devices.

I would only use the Dot or other device in my Hometheater, lights only! Your thoughts ????

I think this would be cool.....

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
I actually have two lamps using philips R39 which come close to candles afaik..but i only use those in the main room in the evening. So not for a theater....
8mile13 is online now  
post #8 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
holl_ands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I use PHILIPS (do NOT substitute other brands) BT15 Series [e.g. 95-100 W, 150W) Halogens in Living Room....TWO in one Lamp on Maestro IR Dimmer [Lutron Switch Type], and another one in a second Lamp with a Manual Dimmer. ZERO noise and very linear dimming to VERY low, levels with NO flickering. Bright WHITE Light for Reading....easy on the eyes Yellowish when Dimmed to moderate levels.....and dim down to just one or two candles worth of light.

I also have Philips LED 15W (actual) Floodlights on compatible Dimmer with adjustable Low Light Level (to minimize Flickering]....but they NEVER get very dim.....


https://www.amazon.com/Philips-24933.../dp/B002DR1RXM [150 W Equiv.]

I see that many Philips bulbs with different watt ratings in the BT15 Series are Discontinued.
You might want to try OTHER Halogen bulbs (incl PAR type) made by Philips.

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-23-2017 at 02:51 AM.
holl_ands is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
With respect to Zigbee LED bulbs (where you can individually dim them), the only ones I've found so far with zero noise when dimmed are the Philips HUE. They also dim very nicely down to 3% or so. These don't require a dimmer switch..it's all done via the HUE app, or whatever automation hub you have the HUE hub connected to. I've been putting as many as 10 of these on a switch (it's only 90 watts all in for 10 bulbs) and then using automation and motion to decide which come on, when and at what power. For example, in night mode, you can choose to have only 2 of 10 come on, dimmed to 10% so late night wandering doesn't light the place up like Christmas.

Buzzing bulbs when dimmed drive me crazy.

My kids love the HUE lights too as they can be individually controlled by various HUE apps which will strobe and randomly flash them in sync to music as sampled by the mic on their iOS devices. Cheapest cool disco ever if your kids will be using the theater for parties etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
UK Dreamer recommended the Philips R20 Warm Glow bulbs so I got some and they dim really really low with my Insteon dimmer. I mean really, really dim with no flickering and no buzz.

I wanted to use Insteon dimmers because they have the IRLinc kit to allow converting IR signals to send Insteon commands. I admit I haven't gotten to the point of setting that up yet but I'm hopeful that will work as planned. At least the Philips Warm Glow R20 has worked well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Philips Hue is very good at low lvl dimming.
More expensive, but they work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I actually have two lamps using philips R39 which come close to candles afaik..but i only use those in the main room in the evening. So not for a theater....
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
I use PHILIPS (do NOT substitute other brands) BT15 Series [e.g. 95-100 W, 150W) Halogens in Living Room....TWO in one Lamp on Maestro IR Dimmer [Lutron Switch Type], and another one in a second Lamp with a Manual Dimmer. ZERO noise and very linear dimming to VERY low, levels with NO flickering. Bright WHITE Light for Reading....easy on the eyes Yellowish when Dimmed to moderate levels.....and dim down to just one or two candles worth of light.

I also have Philips LED 15W (actual) Floodlights on compatible Dimmer with adjustable Low Light Level (to minimize Flickering]....but they NEVER get very dim.....


https://www.amazon.com/Philips-24933.../dp/B002DR1RXM [150 W Equiv.]

I see that many Philips bulbs with different watt ratings in the BT15 Series are Discontinued.
You might want to try OTHER Halogen bulbs (incl PAR type) made by Philips.
Im beginning to see a trend, Philips seems to be a common bulb, Totally unrelated now that i think about it, i built my own home 17 years ago and my new fixtures came with philips bulbs, they lasted forever!

I really like the idea of the amazon dot controling the floods, any idea's now that the bulbs seem to be Philips, or even i nice i.r. Controled dimmer........

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The plot thickens..... Seems the Lutron Maestro (i bought a used one, $19 Ebay) MIR600 isnt compatable with LED's......almost :0(

Its the load that is to light. Seems the Maestro needs 40watt load to work properly, thats why guys throw in an incandesent light to bump up the load in a stream of lights.

So, now im onto bulbs and how to fly em. I made a wooden chase along the peak of my vaulted ceiling to run wires. Its about 10" wide and goes from my PJ to the front of the room. PERFECT to mount pucks to, but puck lighting is for under cabinets in kitchens, not sure that translates well to my HT.

I may need to fabricate some outlets, any thoughts

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Best lights for dimming

Any reason you wouldn't just buy a different dimmer??? I had a Maestro in my theater for years until starting my theater renovation, and it sucks at dimming LEDs: they only dim down to like 20% before flickering and the cutting off. Same bulbs with the Insteon dimmer dim waaaaay down.

Point is if puck lights are the best fit for your ceiling situation, don't let your Maestro dimmer be the deciding factor.

You can get an Insteon remote, both simple and one that supports scenes.
texpilot is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Any reason you wouldn't just buy a different dimmer??? I had a Maestro in my theater for years until starting my theater renovation, and it sucks at dimming LEDs: they only dim down to like 20% before flickering and the cutting off. Same bulbs with the Insteon dimmer dim waaaaay down.

Point is if puck lights are the best fit for your ceiling situation, don't let your Maestro dimmer be the deciding factor.

You can get an Insteon remote, both simple and one that supports scenes.

Ok, checked them out, about $50, but does it come with a remote like the Lutron, im not understanding the method, i.r. commands. my friend has app control over his lights and im not a fan. simple i.r. commands work just fine for me.....


I still have a Harmony 1100 :0/

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 09-23-2017 at 09:17 AM.
kgveteran is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Ok, checked them out, about $50, but does it come with a remote like the Lutron, im not understanding the method

Remote is an additional cost. You can also buy the Insteon Hub for $65 and use your smartphone as the remote.
texpilot is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,530
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I use 2 old LUTRON dimmers (circa '02?), on incandescents no less...I can't stand LED (although I have some LED Flood lights on my house). These old LUTRONS (I forgot the model #) will not work with LED...and it's analog all the way, i suppose. I learned the remote codes from the controller, and have it in my Harmony and URC, which is another primary reason I still use them. IR controlled btw. NO NOISE, SUPER LOW DIMMING...'Winning' lol...
KBMAN is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,530
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 170
In fact, At first, I had all LED in my theater, and switched over to the old school, just to let you know.
KBMAN is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Remote is an additional cost. You can also buy the Insteon Hub for $65 and use your smartphone as the remote.


Ok.... so lets say I want (4) lights running front wall to back wall, looks like the dimmer and a remote will work fine, but without the hub, its all on, all dim, and all off ??

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Best lights for dimming

I believe that would be the case, yes. I'll go look at the manual for the remote when I can to see if it supports scenes.

But know that with just one circuit powering all the bulbs, the bulbs will all be controlled together in this case, as you're using a Smart Dimmer, versus individual Smart Bulbs (which are a lot more expensive).

If you really want individual bulb control on a single circuit, the Philips Hue is the way to go. They make a remote as well, but it doesn't look like it has scenes, and there's no way to control it via IR (which I really need for my theater), so I skipped it.

But the Hue really does look like an awesome system, but it's quite expensive.
texpilot is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
In fact, At first, I had all LED in my theater, and switched over to the old school, just to let you know.


don't get me started Lol, im ready to go on the DarkWeb for incondecent outlaw 100watt bulbs hahahaha
brazensol likes this.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Try the Philips Warm Glow ... with a good (modern) dimmer, they dim so low your eyes take a while to adjust to the light level before you can see again, its that dim. Just don't expect that with an old or incompatible dimmer (like a Maestro).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
texpilot is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
I believe that would be the case, yes. I'll go look at the manual for the remote when I can to see if it supports scenes.

But know that the bulbs will all be controlled together in this case, as you're using a Smart Dimmer, versus individual Smart Bulbs (which are a lot more expensive).

If you really want individual bulb control on a single circuit, the Philips Hue is the way to go. They make a remote as well, but it doesn't look like it has scenes, and there's no way to control it via IR (which I really need for my theater), so I skipped it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanx for all ur help, looks like as long as I can get em dim enough I have no problems, $50 for the dimmer, $39 for the remote, and then its What bulbs to use, plain vanilla LED no built in dimmers.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #21 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Try the Philips Warm Glow ... with a good (modern) dimmer, they dim so low your eyes take a while to adjust to the light level before you can see again, its that dim. Just don't expect that with an old or incompatible dimmer (like a Maestro).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are they cool to the touch ?

and another thing, the wiring diagram shows a black,red,white, bare. Are the black and red, the in and out of hot ? Dimmable SPST kinda

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #22 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Best lights for dimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Are they cool to the touch ?
I'll leave one on a while and get back to you.

Quote:
and another thing, the wiring diagram shows a black,red,white, bare. Are the black and red, the in and out of hot ? Dimmable SPST kinda

Not sure what you mean by "dimmable SPAT kinda." Insteon can be controlled via a smartphone or the hub, so it needs an "always on" wiring scheme.

For the incoming power line: black to black, White to white, bare to ground. On the outgoing power line (from the dimmer to the lights): black goes to the red on the dimmer, White to white, bare to ground.

So yes, the black and red are the in and out of the hot wire, respectively. You got it!
texpilot is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
holl_ands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I also learned an expensive lesson...NO, IR controlled Lutron Maestro MIR600 [aka "Spacer" when bundled with R/C] is NOT Compatible with LEDs (and probably also LCDs)....but they work fine for Halogen & Old Incandescent Bulbs. And for Ceiling Fans, only use Dimmers that are LABELED for Fan Use.
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-600-wa.../dp/B000JJYJMM [Spacer Kit with IR R/C]
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MIR-60.../dp/B003Z8VWLK [Just the Dimmer]
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Dimmer.../dp/B000MBKNM2 [4 IR Switch Group]
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products...er/Models.aspx [IR Group uses "Companion" Dimmers]
Kits (only) also found at Home Depot (etc).....and shop around for best price.....

Lutron Dimmer IR codes are on Harmony Website, but back when I did it, I had to manually enter the BRIGHTER and DIMMER codes via Learning Feature.....holding down the UP/DN Buttons on the Spacer R/C for several seconds at a time.....with numerous retries until I got it to output IR Codes for as long as I held down the Harmony buttons.

PS: I would be interested if anyone finds an AFFORDABLE IR Controlled Dimmer....whether for Lutron Switch Plate like Maestro...and preferably OTHERWISE that I can use with my Floor Lamp....so far, this is all I found in a quick search:
https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-plus-ir.php [Varilight IR Series]
https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/...s-for-leds.php [Varilight IR Series for LEDs]
https://www.varilight.co.uk/configur...p?code=ISI601M [Varilight IR Series Example]
https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/...y-v-pro-ir.php [Varilight IR Series Compatibility List]
http://www.insteon.com/ [Insteon IR et.al. R/C SYSTEM]
https://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc...and-white.html [Insteon Example]

The ONLY way to make sure a PARTICULAR LED/LCD Bulb is Compatible with a PARTICULAR Dimmer is to check the manu's Compatibility Lists to ensure that EITHER the Bulb or the DIMMER mfr has actually conducted a Successful TEST, see my fol. post:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202-...ml#post2881394
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...st_Maestro.pdf [Latest Lutron LED/LCD Dimmer Compat. List]
http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/...tibility-guide [Latest Phillips Bulb Compat. List]

Forgot to mention: GE Halogen's were NOISY when dimmed....the filaments were NOT mounted very well.

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-23-2017 at 12:45 PM.
holl_ands is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Are they cool to the touch ?

They are. Left it on at full power and barely any warmth at all. Mind you these are just 60 watt R20 bulbs though.
texpilot is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
mbarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Crystal, MN
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll echo what some others have said. For any LED lighting, I've found that Philips are by far and away the best. I have a few different models around, since the technology changes. They dim nicely, but nothing will dim like an incandescent (or halogen failing that).

I use Insteon dimmers with Philips LED bulbs in every fixture of the house EXCEPT my theater. Nothing can (yet) compare to the subtle glow of an incandescent dimmed to around 5%. At this point all the LEDs, with regards to dimming, seem to have compromises. And some randomly buzz, but none of the Philips bulbs I've tried buzz. The other manufacturers, it's hit and miss, even within the same model.
mbarland is online now  
post #26 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
They are. Left it on at full power and barely any warmth at all. Mind you these are just 60 watt R20 bulbs though.
Thats good to know. I checked out ur build thread btw, nice build.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #27 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
texpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Thats good to know. I checked out ur build thread btw, nice build.

Thanks, I've been stymied held up by an issue that I'm finally moving past. I hope to post an update tonight after this weekend's progress.
texpilot is offline  
post #28 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 6,796
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Thanks, I've been stymied held up by an issue that I'm finally moving past. I hope to post an update tonight after this weekend's progress.
Yup, a work in progress. I built a 600lb door to close off my room from the rest of the house, and i know what its like to move on to other phases.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **


DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
kgveteran is offline  
post #29 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,530
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Yeah, that's what I have..2 Lutron Meastro SPACERS....Running 50 watt mini floods in my theater. Spacer #1 is at the front of the theater, while Spacer #2 is at the back...that way I can just lean back and beam my remote to the back of the room, to control them. Works Great! Heat is way more obvious in my theater, but the lights aren't on during movies..
KBMAN is offline  
post #30 of 46 Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,530
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 170
and I bought some LED wall-adhesive light motion sensors (2 of em) which work wonderful when someone gets up and walks to the back of the room...namely ME, when I go to the beer fridge
KBMAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off