Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 18
RGB LED in long runs!

Hello,

What is everyone doing to run longer strips of RGB LED's?

I have 2 runs at 23ft and want to use one power supply to connect the bulkheads on either side of the room.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Philips Hue sells converters from normal CAT5/6 to their connector strips, aka you can run network cable from the transformator to a point further along your ceiling and connect the next light strip there.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
post #3 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I started a thread in regards to this exact same question..ended up getting a 65ft. kit from hitlights.com that comes with a 150 watt power supply, you can see it on post 81 of my theater build. My plan is to run 2 different directions around the theater so they meet on the opposite side of the room. hitlights.com also sells their components separately

What LED strips do you guys use for long runs??

It may not be your job, but perhaps it's your opportunity.

MPJ's theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 09-22-2017 at 02:59 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
I started a thread in regards to this exact same question..ended up getting a 65ft. kit from hitlights.com that comes with a 150 watt power supply, you can see it on post 81 of my theater build. My plan is to run 2 different directions around the theater so they meet on the opposite side of the room. hitlights.com also sells their components separately

What LED strips do you guys use for long runs??
Your using 2 separate power supplies though? I only have an outlet on one side of my room up in my soffit.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Your using 2 separate power supplies though? I only have an outlet on one side of my room up in my soffit.
No, only using 1 power supply which will be plugged into an outlet that I as well installed in my soffit. The power supply allows 2 separate runs to be connected to it which will travel in opposite directions....like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	104
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2286614

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 09-22-2017 at 03:28 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, only using 1 power supply which will be plugged into an outlet that I as well installed in my soffit. The power supply allows 2 separate runs to be connected to it which will travel in opposite directions....like this:

Attachment 2286614
I understand now. Yes, I'll just have to try and daisy chain them. Hopefully 46ft isn't too long or I don't know what I'm going to do
post #7 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

You should be fine, I'll be running about 50' of led's....25' in each direction. Before I placed the order, I called to confirm everything would work and they said I would be fine doing that

post #8 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You should be fine, I'll be running about 50' of led's....25' in each direction. Before I placed the order, I called to confirm everything would work and they said I would be fine doing that
I have tried to reach out to companies to ask that question and have not been able to get an answer.

What are you using for a power supply? RGB or RGBW lights too?
post #9 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

I've never had an issue getting ahold of hitlights, they were very supportive which I always appreciate in a company.

Here's the kit I purchased: https://hitlights.com/collections/le...nt=42899648324

Comes with this 150 power supply: https://hitlights.com/collections/le...-150-350-watts

post #10 of 20 Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've never had an issue getting ahold of hitlights, they were very supportive which I always appreciate in a company.

Here's the kit I purchased: https://hitlights.com/collections/le...nt=42899648324

Comes with this 150 power supply: https://hitlights.com/collections/le...-150-350-watts
thank you very much. Yes, its lists right on their web page that its good for up to 65ft runs.

Do you actually have it installed already?
post #11 of 20 Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Not yet, I'm hoping to start painting my theater either this week or next at which point I'll also be installing the crown molding around my soffit for the LED's
post #12 of 20 Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I understand now. Yes, I'll just have to try and daisy chain them. Hopefully 46ft isn't too long or I don't know what I'm going to do
In a daisy chain at 46 feet, you might see a light level drop at the end. Depends on a lot of factors including the quality of the LED strips and how much resistance they impart. However, if that occurs, all you'd need to do is run them parallel. Connect the first strip to the power supply and a set of wires to run to the second strip. If you have a parallel supply like mjpmeyer got, then you hook the lights to one and the wires to the other. Otherwise just attach together. Then the second set of lights get connected to the end of the wires rather than the first strip.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If possible, connect your LED strip (or strips) in one long ring, with both ends going back to the power supply. Now connect the positive of ONE end of the strip to the supply, and the negative of the OTHER end of the strip to the supply. You're not "double ending" the supply, you're feeding positive from one end and negative from the other.

Now as the LEDs get further away from the positive connection, they're getting equally closer to the negative connection. The overall length of copper for each LED is equal, so the voltage drop should be equal, with no visible dimming at the far end because effectively there is no far end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED wiring.png
Views:	38
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2288864  
post #14 of 20 Old 09-27-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspritch View Post
If possible, connect your LED strip (or strips) in one long ring, with both ends going back to the power supply. Now connect the positive of ONE end of the strip to the supply, and the negative of the OTHER end of the strip to the supply. You're not "double ending" the supply, you're feeding positive from one end and negative from the other.

Now as the LEDs get further away from the positive connection, they're getting equally closer to the negative connection. The overall length of copper for each LED is equal, so the voltage drop should be equal, with no visible dimming at the far end because effectively there is no far end.
That's just my issue. In order to run in parallel I have to take down the drywall on the ceiling and run another wire. Looks like its my only option. Either that or if I can get away with just daisy chaining them (one end only to the power supply and the other end would not come back to the power supply).
post #15 of 20 Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 PM

Liked: 11
Should be okish.

Depends on the strip, and also voltage. 24V should be easier for longer runs, because less ampers.

We have installed 8 meters with some dimming in other end. But this was many years ago. Worst case you get some dimming in far corner.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
That's just my issue. In order to run in parallel I have to take down the drywall on the ceiling and run another wire. Looks like its my only option. Either that or if I can get away with just daisy chaining them (one end only to the power supply and the other end would not come back to the power supply).
Can you run a wire alongside the strip to take one or other side of the supply to the far end?
post #17 of 20 Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspritch View Post
Can you run a wire alongside the strip to take one or other side of the supply to the far end?
The only wire I have running across right now is the 4wire (red,blue,green,black) running across the room (on the far side of the room from the power outlet). It looks like no matter what I'll have to run another wire across to the other side of the room to power the other strip.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Hello,

What is everyone doing to run longer strips of RGB LED's?

I have 2 runs at 23ft and want to use one power supply to connect the bulkheads on either side of the room.

Thanks!
I had the same situation as you -- long run of ~65 feet around the perimeter of a soffit.

After much research I decided that chaining up shorter strips was too much of a hassle, and I got a single solution made by LEDwholesalers.com. Wireless remote, color-changing with preprogrammed patterns, dimmable -- love it.

I tucked it up behind the crown molding running around the inside of the soffit box, and ran it through a conduit to stash the transformer and power supply in the mechanical room next door:

http://havingfunalongtheway.com/base...ater-lighting/
post #19 of 20 Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlong View Post
I had the same situation as you -- long run of ~65 feet around the perimeter of a soffit.

After much research I decided that chaining up shorter strips was too much of a hassle, and I got a single solution made by LEDwholesalers.com. Wireless remote, color-changing with preprogrammed patterns, dimmable -- love it.

I tucked it up behind the crown molding running around the inside of the soffit box, and ran it through a conduit to stash the transformer and power supply in the mechanical room next door:

http://havingfunalongtheway.com/base...ater-lighting/

oh wow, they had something that ran 65ft off a single run of LED?? can you post the link to exactly what you bought?

I ended up running a RGB connector in the front of the room too so I hope that I can just run them in parallel off of one single power supply.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
oh wow, they had something that ran 65ft off a single run of LED?? can you post the link to exactly what you bought?
This one:

https://www.ledwholesalers.com/v2/in...earch=20206RGB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page