Motorized screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Motorized screen

Hey guys. I posted this in the theater/media room board, but don't think that I'll get responses there. Checking to see what you think...

Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a new home that I'll finally be able to make my long desired media/theater room a part of. I've already started trying to line things up so that I can get to work right away.

I plan on installing a television first for most TV shows and video games, and it may take a little while longer for the projector and screen to come in since I may want to take a break financially (purchasing a new home along with its requirements, a media room sound system, big screen 4K (doubt that I'm putting up the $ for an OLED), and comfy chairs is a killer financially). When I DO get the screen/projector, I plan on having it on the SAME wall as the TV. Thus, the only way that I believe that I can do it is to have a motorized screen be able to drop from the ceiling. That being said, I just had a few quick questions..

#1) Is something like this ok in terms of quality and performance for a motorized screen:

#2) Are there more types of these systems, and would you have any examples?

#3) I'm guessing you'd have to attache a decent beam of wood or other material to the wall above your screen somehow before attaching this device.

#4) Since the home is being built from the ground up, would you tell them to leave holes in the ceiling for a projector that'd eventually be installed, or would it be easy enough to let them make a full ceiling and then create the necessary space up there myself when it's time?

#4) What exactly is a "soffit"?

I truly appreciate any information that can be provided, even OUTSIDE of the few questions that I've asked.

This is another guy who did something similar to what I'm describing. This looks absolutely awesome, but how long do you think it'd last if you even consider to be safe in the first place? If it was seen as okay, I might try to use this method myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 185
1) The main problem with roll up screens, motorized or not, is that they don't lay perfectly flat and can develop wrinkles in the surface. These may be visible when in use. They may be fine for casual viewing and for many people. If you are a perfectionist, or close to that, you will want to explore "tensioned screens".

2) Similar models are available form most projection screen manufacturers.

3) They don't weight so much that mounting becomes challenging. You'd be wise to attach them to studs, or put some sort of blocking between the studs during construction to make things easier.

4) The best plan is to plan ahead and install some sort of blocking to the framing in the area where your projector will be. If you are doing double layers of drywall for sound isolation, make the top layer in that area plywood so that you have something to screw into. Make sure to add a power outlet in the area and run conduit for signal cable between the projector and where your equipment will be located. I'd recommend the largest conduit that you can fit, at least 1-1/2".

4) (You have two #4 's) This thread has lots of soffit examples. Show me your Soffit

Properly mounted, projectors and screens are quite secure and the installation should be safe and functional indefinitely. Of course, at some point they will become technically obsolete and you may want to replace them with newer technologies.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I'll look into tensioned screens and having a conduit available. Being first time, this is seeming more and more daunting.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2017, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionhartzero View Post
I plan on installing a television first for most TV shows and video games, and it may take a little while longer for the projector and screen to come in since I may want to take a break financially (purchasing a new home along with its requirements, a media room sound system, big screen 4K (doubt that I'm putting up the $ for an OLED), and comfy chairs is a killer financially). When I DO get the screen/projector, I plan on having it on the SAME wall as the TV.
Consider having a fixed screen, which would avoid all the problems described above, and make a small elevator for the TV instead.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting...never even thought about doing things that way. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionhartzero View Post
Interesting...never even thought about doing things that way. Thanks!
It can look very cool. Example below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of room TV mode.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	2292942  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Sounds like you're in the same situation I was in 9 years ago.
Dual Setups Rock for a room that has more than one purpose.

I started with an unfinished basement space, about 15' x 17' and all mine to do with as I pleased.
Wall mounted my 50" Pioneer Kuro and a cheap 120" 1.3 Gain electric drop down screen I found on ebay for $250(shipped).

Being a total projector n00b, I had no idea what I really wanted/needed for a screen, so this was supposed to be just a temporary fix.
It came with an IR and RF remote, hung from some 2x4 blocking between my I-Joists with Eye hooks and a couple carabiners lol.
My Epson (1080UB Projector) just sat on an IKEA bookcase at the rear of the room.

My Kuro is gone now, replaced with a 65" OLED.
The Epson 1080UB went through 5 replacement lamps (13,000+ hours) and was replaced with a JVC last year (Along with my AVR for 4K/ATMOS setup)
...but the same darn screen still looks great to me, almost a decade later.

No curled edges, no noticeable waves or drooping, electronics still rock solid.
...I haven't even replaced the battery in the remote(s) yet.

Screen shots from my JVC and OLED here: 65" OLED versus QLED versus LED/LCD

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page