Best solution behind a ST screen with my speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fredrick89

post #1 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best solution behind a ST screen with my speakers

Hi,

I've already got a ST screen for cheap (Dreamscreen V4), and the speakers that goes behind it is my KEF Q700, KEF IQ6 center and an XTZ W10.16 sub (with another one going on the opposite wall).

These speakers are not made for baffle-walls as far as I can tell, and as the XTZ is kind of deep at 20" it would take a lot of insulation to fill the void behind the wall. I'm on a tight budget, so switching the speakers is really not an option.

How would you guys build the "wall" behind my screen to hold my speakers? I could build a full baffle wall with insulation in the framework and absorbent covering in front. Perhaps just put super chunks in the corners behind it, or would that just be a waste? Will this give me a nightmare wrg resonance in the void behind the wall?

Might be better (and definitely cheaper+easier) to just have a framework (with or without insulation?) with absorbent covering in front and the superchunks in the corners? This way I could upgrade to a baffle wall with more suitable speakers at a later date.

The front wall is about 2x3m, and I plan on having a 126" 16:9 screen on it. The whole room is 7,5*3m and initial acoustic measurements seems pretty positive except for a resonance at 23Hz which I'll try to work around with moving subs (and adding the second sub I just bought).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 3326
you don't need a baffle wall if you treat your entire front wall, ceiling and sides behind the screen wall with acoustical treatment, just put your KEFs on modest stands. Set the sub on the floor. 2 inches of linacoustic with 3mil plastic between layers.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you don't need a baffle wall if you treat your entire front wall, ceiling and sides behind the screen wall with acoustical treatment, just put your KEFs on modest stands. Set the sub on the floor. 2 inches of linacoustic with 3mil plastic between layers.
Thanks

I'll find a replacement for the Linacoustics that I couldnt find a retailer for here in Norway. I'll also have to find a solution to blacking out everything outside my screen, but that shouldnt be too hard

Anyone else that has input is also welcome to join in!

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 3326
If you need to raise your speakers up a bit my favorite stand design is a basic MDF box. I throw a bag of sand, bag and all in the bottom of the box, add insulation to fill and then fasten the top. The sand lowers the center of gravity and makes the stands very stable, the insulation prevents resonances.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 43
På norsk vil dette hete type "foring for ventilasjonsrør", ring et firma som driver med ventilasjon.
Tykkelse kan godt være 1 ", aka 2.54cm. Kjøp 2 og som Big sier plasser dem med et lag tykk plastikk imellom på frontveggen.

Ok, fellow countryman so I used norwegian ^^...can see that might be confusing to others.

"In norwegian the name of this product will be "ventilation tube insulation", call a company who does HVAC for availability and prices.
Thickness can very well be 1 inch. Buy 2 and as Big says, mount them to the front wall with a layer of thick plastic inbetween."

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread

Last edited by LydMekk; 09-26-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: English added
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
If you need to raise your speakers up a bit my favorite stand design is a basic MDF box. I throw a bag of sand, bag and all in the bottom of the box, add insulation to fill and then fasten the top. The sand lowers the center of gravity and makes the stands very stable, the insulation prevents resonances.
Sounds like a solid plan, thanks. I'll make something temporary first to find the optimal speaker placement, and then make the stands after that

@LydMekk , takk
LydMekk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page