Planning a 10x12 ft home theater - help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Planning a 10x12 ft home theater - help

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to a new apartment, in which i'd like to build a home theater room.

The biggest room I can use is 9.85 ft wide and 11.8 ft long.
This is a sketch of the room:

I was thinking of using the BenQ HT3050 projector with a 110" 16:9 fixed-screen (according to the calculator it's possible in this room), but my only dilemma is where to put the seats, and what kind of seats should I use in such a tight space?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Omri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, here's the picture

Sorry, here's the sketch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2290704  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 07:57 AM
Q..

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I had to make the same decision, and ultimately picked the path that put more people comfortably in the room and made the space feel more open.

You're probably looking at 4 comfortable seats regardless of whether you put the screen on the short or long wall. Putting the seats along the east (according to sketch) wall will allow plenty of space for a large screen, and also give you the option of additional floor-level chairs or bean bags, so you can get more people in.

However, if you put the chairs in the center with projection on north wall, it will be more ideal for sound.

I think that BenQ 3050 needs a minimum of 10ft for a 120 diagonal screen, which you don't have for the west wall; you want that screen size at a minimum, so you should probably look at the 2150, or another shorter throw option if you go that direction.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5148 Post(s)
Liked: 3626
For smoother frequency response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), put the listeners' ears at 1/3 room length from the back wall (the wall with the door). This will allow you to do a 7.1 set-up with the side speakers slightly forward of the listening position and the rear speakers spread out on the back wall.

Alternatively, you could rotate the set-up 90 degrees so that the door ends up in the left front corner of the room. Put the listeners' ears 1/5 room length from the back wall (odd divisions avoid nulls). This configuration will allow for a 5.1 set-up with the surrounds in the back corners of the room.

In both cases you'll end up about 8 feet from the front wall, so choose a screen size appropriate for that viewing distance. A simple couch will work fine as seating, as long as the back is low enough that it doesn't block the listeners' ears.
LydMekk likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Q..

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Right after I posted I noticed you were aiming for 110". Also, most theater seats I looked at are 30-36" depending on how you configure them. You could definitely fit 4 individual seats (arm rests for each person).

Sorry for second reply, but I don't have the rights to edit my posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Illustration

So basically this is what you recommend me to do?
(distance from viewer's eye to screen is 8.85 ft, viewing angle is 45)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2290744   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2290746  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-30-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 441
A condo sized couch might get you three seats, and just enough room to squeeze by. You could use three theater seats, at 6' wide.

The 54x96" screen will work, but you might want to consider stereo speakers, and get your seating a little further back from the screen.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-01-2017, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
A condo sized couch might get you three seats, and just enough room to squeeze by. You could use three theater seats, at 6' wide.

The 54x96" screen will work, but you might want to consider stereo speakers, and get your seating a little further back from the screen.
Thanks, but why can't I use a 5.1 or even 7.1 setup in this room?
Also, from what I read, if I push the couch/seats back, the sound quality will decrease...
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2017, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Because your room is too small for 7.1. Be happy with max 5.1 in that space.
Place your row of seats at 5ths of the length of the space to have the best sound esp. basswize.

2/5s forward of your back wall is perfect soundwize, if it brings you too far forward regd. the screen, move the seats so your earholes are at 1/5ths or even 1/3 of the rooms length.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-01-2017, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Because your room is too small for 7.1. Be happy with max 5.1 in that space.
Place your row of seats at 5ths of the length of the space to have the best sound esp. basswize.

2/5s forward of your back wall is perfect soundwize, if it brings you too far forward regd. the screen, move the seats so your earholes are at 1/5ths or even 1/3 of the rooms length.
Alright so basically the design I posted seems OK? it has a 5.1 setup..
I can always move the couch forward/back as needed, but moving it too far back will prevent the door from opening, and moving it too far forward will cause a viewing angle > 50 which I'm trying to avoid, so I guess I'll stick with this design +- 1-2ft according to how the sound would be.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-01-2017, 06:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3904 Post(s)
Liked: 3337
So far the discussion has mentioned the front to back placement of the seating for the best even sound. Room resonant frequencies and nulls are based on the room dimensions. Two parallel walls will create a resonant frequency. Front and back is the first you think of but also the two sides and the ceiling/floor create identical effects. There has been a lot of research on the subject and basically it has shown that you can improve the evenness of the bass by using multiple subs. There are lots of recommended places to put them. One quick solution for a pair is the middle of the front wall and middle of the side wall essentially firing energy directly into null locations. Using just one you should put it in the middle of the front wall and sit in the middle of the room (side to side) then be sure not sit in the half or quarter room length.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2017, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, thanks everyone for helping.

I will move the couch forward and reduce the screen size to 100 inches to keep a viewing angle of 45 degrees, because the previous calculation with a 110" screen puts the viewers exactly in the 25% length of the room, which soundwise is bad.

Another question is - If the couch will be 7.8ft away from the screen, and the BenQ HT3050 will be 11 ft. away mounted on the ceiling, how can I make sure that the couch/heads will not block the image?
post #13 of 16 Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could use small speakers and do 7.1. The tough part is to keep the seats off the speakers.

I simply suggested that stereo or 2.1 might be a better option, with your speaker budget sunk into two better quality and larger speakers
that can move air.

As for multiple subs, is this even realistic with just 9.85' by 11.8'?
post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-2017, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

I got a system with 5 speakers (2 large fronts, 1 center, 2 small backs) for free (used to be at my parents' house but they never used it).

I only need to buy a new receiver and (maybe) a sub. Maybe the bass from the front speakers in this room would be enough...
post #15 of 16 Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you already have speakers, then it makes sense to use them.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a space not much larger than yours and we went with a 3 seat setup and originally 5.1 but now 7.1 sound.

That said, I am using Mirage Omni speakers and as they work off of sound reflective surfaces, they play differently in a small space than conventional speakers do.

Best advice I can give you... Mount the projector and shoot it at a blank wall to test the screen size/distance and put the speakers in place where you think you want them before committing to installing a dedicated screen and permanent speaker placement because what works out in theory may not be what is really for the best in practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page