• 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 14 Old 10-01-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First Home theater help!

Hi all,
After a month reading on the forum and on website about home theater set up. The dimension of the theater : 3.7m (W) x 5.7m(L) x 2.6m (H). it a new build and is completely build from scratch so i have my freedom to install any wiring or insulator,etc.

I'm on my way shopping for my precious home theater which 80% for movie watching and 20% for music - karaoke. However, with all these confuse technology and product, i'm at a loss to what would be good for this home theater.
My budget is 15000$ USD. Must have features : Picture : true 4k ( is it worth it? or a 4k pixel shift will do?), 3D, minimum 3m fixed screen, cinema scope, Sound : I prefer dolby atmos (but open for suggestion), in wall or not ? , have ability to connect with computer so I can play my games on the projector.
For amp and speakers, i'm completely at a loss to what brand should i get.

I have a person that offer me a complete package for home theater :
BenQ pro W1110
Elite 120 inch fixed screen
Yamaha RX-V1083 7.2 Av Receiver
Jamo S526HCS10 5.1 Home theatre system

I also do have a company website that offer several package but some of them out of my price range. I would like to mix and match to get it down but not sure what will go well with what. And as i'm a new beginner, i cant post a link to the website but the website called : bigpicturepeople.com.au - it located in Melbourne and offer lots of home theater packages.

I know i should have do research a bit more, but as construction stage have been proceed quite fast, i running out of time.
thank you for all your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Then do not use time focusing on gear. Skip all that.
Focus on the room.
Btw. is it possible to make the room wider? 3.7m is small.

To get a picture of what is needed...I know this project I am linking below is bigger than yours but the principles is the same.
Look through that thread. It is only 20 pages.

Another DownUnder theatre
post #3 of 14 Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can you tell us a bit more about what you are doing? Do you need the room to be sound proofed and if so what are your plans for doing so? Have you worked out the design already? Is the room framed? What is the time frame for construction and what areas of construction do you have flexibility with? What kind of seating are you planning to have? The room design and construction is the most important component of your home theater and your results can be very disappointing if you don't build it correctly. Is your $15000 budget purely for equipment?

post #4 of 14 Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Can you tell us a bit more about what you are doing? Do you need the room to be sound proofed and if so what are your plans for doing so? Have you worked out the design already? Is the room framed? What is the time frame for construction and what areas of construction do you have flexibility with? What kind of seating are you planning to have? The room design and construction is the most important component of your home theater and your results can be very disappointing if you don't build it correctly. Is your $15000 budget purely for equipment?
thank you for the response.
the room wont need to perfect sound proof but only to the point when i yell inside the theater, people outside can hardly hear. i have plan to put alternative studs and add insulator complete with acoustic sliding door.

the room have not been framed. the concrete foundation just got poured. Framing stage start tomorrow and finish in 3 weeks, it will be fast.
The size of the room is fixed and cannot be increased anywhere. i might have a bit of breathing between framing and plaster stages.

i would like to have 3 single recliner chairs and a 2 people recliner couch with the options of moving all chairs to the side if needed to put bean bag in ( but that's only if wish list- not necessary to put bean bags if it affect other things) I have not thought about the seat layout but would love to know suggestion from the expert up here.

I understand the importance of it but not sure where to start hence I try to take it to the forum for a any opinions and opportunities that i can learn and apply to the theater.

Yes 15k is only for equipments ( projector, amp,speakers,blueray, screen, etc)
post #5 of 14 Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Then do not use time focusing on gear. Skip all that.
Focus on the room.
Btw. is it possible to make the room wider? 3.7m is small.

To get a picture of what is needed...I know this project I am linking below is bigger than yours but the principles is the same.
Look through that thread. It is only 20 pages.
thank you for the response.
Can you please evaluate focusing on the room?
the room wont need to perfect sound proof but only to the point when i yell inside the theater, people outside can hardly hear. i have plan to put alternative studs and add insulator complete with acoustic sliding door.

the room have not been framed. the concrete foundation just got poured. Framing stage start tomorrow and finish in 3 weeks, it will be fast.
The size of the room is fixed and cannot be increased anywhere. i might have a bit of breathing between framing and plaster stages.

i would like to have 3 single recliner chairs and a 2 people recliner couch with the options of moving all chairs to the side if needed to put bean bag in ( but that's only if wish list- not necessary to put bean bags if it affect other things) I have not thought about the seat layout but would love to know suggestion from the expert up here.

I understand the importance of it but not sure where to start hence I try to take it to the forum for a any opinions and opportunities that i can learn and apply to the theater.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Unfortunately we have too little information and your deadline is too soon for most advise to be useful. Don't worry about the equipment since you can always buy it after the room is built. Just make sure you have all the speaker wire, network cables, outlets and conduit installed that you will need. Be sure you have large enough conduit to run between the places that it is needed, e.g. the equipment rack and projector. If possible, wire for Atmos and ensure there are mounting points for speakers and the projector where needed. I don't see how you can install in-wall speakers in such a short time frame but you know your situation best.

Same goes for soundproofing - I don't know what your resources are, or what the building methods and requirements are where you live. The best thing is to read http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/ and see what you can implement from there. It is doubtful that you can implement effective soundproofing now if you have not already planned for it. If you are putting up drywall, use thick heavy drywall. Use a solid core door that is sealed round the edges, and double pane windows. Good luck!
post #7 of 14 Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Unfortunately we have too little information and your deadline is too soon for most advise to be useful. Don't worry about the equipment since you can always buy it after the room is built. Just make sure you have all the speaker wire, network cables, outlets and conduit installed that you will need. Be sure you have large enough conduit to run between the places that it is needed, e.g. the equipment rack and projector. If possible, wire for Atmos and ensure there are mounting points for speakers and the projector where needed. I don't see how you can install in-wall speakers in such a short time frame but you know your situation best.

Same goes for soundproofing - I don't know what your resources are, or what the building methods and requirements are where you live. The best thing is to read and see what you can implement from there. It is doubtful that you can implement effective soundproofing now if you have not already planned for it. If you are putting up drywall, use thick heavy drywall. Use a solid core door that is sealed round the edges, and double pane windows. Good luck!
Understand and thank you.
The room setup and soundproofing, i have people with hometheater building experiences to take care of it, hence i was not concern about it.
Just wanted to get the equipment list which satisfy the features that i wanted and at a reasonable price.
If you have 15k and to put together a list of equipment to have in your theater, can you please list out things that you would put in?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
I put this list together a couple of months ago, availability in your location may be a problem.

On a budget you need to seek out VALUE, maximum performance at a moderate price.

Here are my picks

Emotiva 7 channel airmotiv speaker package - $1486
HSU subwoofers, package of two VTF-15h $1749
Epson 5040 4K projector $2500
Oppo 4K bluray player $549
Denon AVR X5200 receiver $1000 (acessoriesforless.com) 9.2 channel 140 watts channel
SilverTicket 130 Inch wide 2.35:1 format screen (Amazon) $420
Amazon Fire TV $90

Total of equipment $7800

If you want Atmos ceiling speakers get the RSL C34E at $125 each, if you want more than 2 you will need to upgrade to an 11 channel receiver/amp.

then look at:
Monoprice cables
Rtheaters.com or HTmarket.com seating

If you want a 4K projector add $2500 and get the Sony 285

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-03-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I put this list together a couple of months ago, availability in your location may be a problem.

On a budget you need to seek out VALUE, maximum performance at a moderate price.

Here are my picks

Emotiva 7 channel airmotiv speaker package - $1486
HSU subwoofers, package of two VTF-15h $1749
Epson 5040 4K projector $2500
Oppo 4K bluray player $549
Denon AVR X5200 receiver $1000 (acessoriesforless.com) 9.2 channel 140 watts channel
SilverTicket 130 Inch wide 2.35:1 format screen (Amazon) $420
Amazon Fire TV $90

Total of equipment $7800

If you want Atmos ceiling speakers get the RSL C34E at $125 each, if you want more than 2 you will need to upgrade to an 11 channel receiver/amp.

then look at:
Monoprice cables
Rtheaters.com or HTmarket.com seating

If you want a 4K projector add $2500 and get the Sony 285
thank you for your help.
Just print our your list and go window shopping here in Melbourne. I have problem with the brand that you list for speakers, subwoofer and Denon AV. I was told those are not readily available and can come at much dearer price then what you show here. So i was given the list below by a home theater design staff member after i show them your list. I did ask for a little better quality pictures and sound. what do you think of the list below ? I have never heard of BenQ projector and Paradigm speakers ? are they good quality? should I change the projector to Sony 320ES or 520ES to get 3D capability ? my parent love 3D, i think it gimmick but i would love to make them happy.

The list below cost 14k USD

Paradigm Monitor 11 Speaker pack: 1pr x Monitor 11 fronts, 1 x Centre 3, 2prs x Surround 3 rears, 1pr x Ci-65R Atmos
ceiling speakers, DSP 3200 subwoofer
• Yamaha RXA-2070 9 Channel AV Receiver
o 7x Channel speaker pack, 1x sub and 2x Atmos speakers back to equipment

• Screen Technics 130” 16:9 High Resolution fixed frame screen
• Benq X12000 4K LED Projector and bracket (20,000 hr lamp life)
• Kordz PRS1000 10m High Speed HDMI
• OPPO 4K Blu Ray player
• Strong SRT 432 HD Set top box
• equipment At front near equipment
post #10 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #11 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycover View Post
The room setup and soundproofing, i have people with home theater building experiences to take care of it, hence i was not concern about it.
Just an opinion. A lot of companies can build award winning theaters and publish a nice portfolio of pictures from their projects without any consideration of sound isolation. In 12 months when your wife opens the door and yells at you to turn it down you will realize that you might have missed the opportunity to build it right.
Tedd likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 440
A BIG +1 here, to that! Except for the 12 month window bit. It was more like a two movie window here.

12' wide by 18.5' long by 8.45" high. How many seats needed?

3D is dying off. I question if it makes sense to plant budget there?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks A BIG!! yes i will make sure they do it right, i learn a thing or 2 about sound proofing on this forum. Also i'm single at the moment, wont be for another few years (minimum 3)

I would need seriously maximum 2 seat and a couch or 4-5 seat.
3D is seriously just to make my parent happy when they watch Avatar, Final Desitination. I'm not really a fan of it. But if i spend money to get true 4K and 3D come as a bonus, it will be nice. Hence would Sony 285 projector is better than BenQ X1200
post #14 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Here are my picks

Amazon Fire TV $90
As an extra data point I have the Denon AVR X5200W and paired it with an AudioSource AMP100VS 2-channel amp to reach 11 active channels at once. This combo works and sounds just fine.

The AFTV2 works great too

http://havingfunalongtheway.com/base...mponent-setup/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page