1Likes
  • 1 Post By sirjaymz

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Rear speaker height?

With two rows, and two steps down to the first row (16"), how high should one put the rear speakers in a 7.2.4 configuration? Above the head of the back row so the sound carries forward to the front row? Lower to avoid interfering with the Atmos channels?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Formerly known as GatorBlues. The Spinal Tap Theater build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
With two rows, and two steps down to the first row (16"), how high should one put the rear speakers in a 7.2.4 configuration? Above the head of the back row so the sound carries forward to the front row? Lower to avoid interfering with the Atmos channels?

Since nobody has has responded, I'll tell you what I am doing/planned for.

I used a riser height calculator an determined a couple of things for my build, along with some best known practices and recommendations.

For audio, I used the ear level method to determine the height. which the spec says something like 42", and as the way i understand it, you want to make your speaker height around ear level. Which to me is still a little high, but should be at 42" or something along the lines. The deviation from that is suppose to be no more than ~1.2x the height, which means, 42 x 1.2 = 50.4" . I plan installing my speakers at 50".
Since my seat backs are at 42", I figured this would be high enough for the audio to have direct line of sight to the ear levels of the viewers.
I applied this to my Front Wides and Surrounds. Surrounds are planned to between the 90 degree and 110 degree mark. I won't know exactly the angle until i install the front row seats, and provide clearance for the backs to recline, which would be up against the face of the riser.

As far as the surround back speakers, using the riser calculator, I am planning to have around an 18" riser. nice and tall. no obstructions from front row viewers impeding the back row. With that, I applied the same method, 42" ear height, but instead of adding a 1.2x deviation,I just added the height of my planned riser of 18", and came up with around 60" from the floor.

Since my seat backs are right at 42" I'll install my Klipsch RS-42 II justified so the bottom of the speaker is at the 60" mark. This should provide enough height for line of sight from the surround back speakers to the front row viewers.

My back row is planned to be forward from the back wall by approximate 28". This way the seats won't interfere with the speakers, but also, provide the separation for audio surround envelopment.

Here is some of the info i referenced.

from the ...

Dolby Atmos Installation Guide.

As in the past, the placement of all listener-level speakers should follow these recommendations, which are based on ITU-R BS.775-3:
• The speakers located in the front of the room shall be used as a reference point. All speakers in the listener plane should ideally be equidistant from the listener position. If this is not possible, compensating for distance may be used to time align the arrival of audio from each speaker to the listener.
• All listener speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1).
If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical or impossible, the rear speakers may be positioned higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.

Info referenced to assist in screen and riser height, and then in turned determined my planned speaker level.

Additionally, the Auro-3D Setup Guideline

I hope this helps.
Blue likes this.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
Atmos speaker layout in a multi row theater with elevated rear speakers will always be a compromise from the guidelines. Locating the surround speakers at ear level can also be problematic with high back theater seats and someone sitting next to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page