Some help with overall layout of dedicated basement theatre - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some help with overall layout of dedicated basement theatre

Hi,

I'm currently building a house, and the basement has a room that I'm planning to build a home theatre in. From what I read in other posts, the size is sufficient for this purpose, but I have some doubts on how to do the positioning of screen, seats and speakers, given there's a staircast that makes the room asymmetric. I've included a picture with measurements in meters and feet. I was originally planning to do the screen along the top wall and a riser next to the door, but I fear the staircase will be problematic with rear/overhead (atmos) speaker positioning. So alternatively I was thinking maybe the screen should go on the right wall.

Position of the door and even the wall it's in is still flexible, but the staircase is not.

What do you think? Ideas are welcome.

Greetings,
Ivo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement theatre.png
Views:	57
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2292722  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
how many seats were you thinking about?

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-05-2017 at 05:58 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Could you move the door to the lower room left until it is in line with the theatre door, and then redesign the staircase to be two flights with top and middle landings (i.e. extending more into the corridor). This will reduce the penetration of the staircase into the home theatre room. Also turning stairs are just unpleasant and less safe for small kids and carrying heavy equipment, commercial code is half-story flights with landings in between.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking 5 (2+3) or 6 seats or maybe a wide couch. The staircase lands in the corridor, not in the room. There?s a wall that hides the staircase (I was thinking making a hole in it for an equipment rack).

I can change the bottom landing of the stairs so it goes straight but that doesn?t move it out of the room. Middle landings are uncommon over here, the staircase is made out of wood and comes in one piece.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
This could be a pretty hardcore budget build with five theater style seats. Not sure if you own speakers yet, but
in-wall speakers could be a near zero speaker foot print configuration.

I'd take inspiration from BBL's demo room, but make it a black cave using speaker grill fabric to add some visual interest.
Lighting would also be a feature, to add design interest. The area outside the room could be a small lobby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement theatre (option one).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	2293734  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Forgot to attach the JBL demo room, but I'd simplify the fabric panels for less work (greater coverage per frame).

There wouldn't be a second row but you could utilize SeymourAv's XD fabric and park your seated eyes about 10.5-11' off the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JBL demo room 1.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2293804  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tedd for the ideas. Worth considering although it feels a bit like trading some valuable theatre space for a lobby. Need to think about it some more.

I own a Monitor Audio 5.1 configuration that I could extend to 7.1.4 but depending on how the room ends up I could sell them and do in-walls instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page