Any benefit to a room with uneven walls? (i.e. not parallel) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-04-2017, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any benefit to a room with uneven walls? (i.e. not parallel)

I have two adjacent rooms that I plan to merge into one. My original plan was to tear down and add drywall so that the merged room has a typical rectangular shape (about 21' x 14'). I can reduce the cost of the project by leaving the uneven back wall as-is (there's a 5' x 4' sump pump room at the back-right corner) instead of building out a new wall in order to have it even and parallel to the front wall. Is it worth the extra $2000 to add the wall (and a little entry door to allow access to the sump pump) or is the acoustic impact of having an uneven back wall negligible? For what it's worth, I do have some corner bass traps and diffusors/absorbers.

In addition, I'm adding a short new wall to block off the hallway and add a door (the room is currently opened to the hallway). It can easily be added to blend in with the existing right wall in the room so that it's even and parallel with the left wall (that extends the entire length of the merged room), but is there any acoustic benefit to make it offset a few inches/feet? Given that it's a haphazard "design" that's devoid of any mathematical considerations I assume the answer is no, but I'm curious enough to at least ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
Just a random thought, I've built a theater where we hid the sump pump beneath a trap door in the seating riser. Maybe you can have a larger theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page