• 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Fabric tracks for DIY

We need to add fabric tracks to some of the walls in my oddly shaped home theater. The plan is to put up 2" rigid roxul in strategic locations (a LOT of it) and then cover all of it via a 2" fabric track system. I'm already at the "socially acceptable" limit with 10 or so DIY panels, but an all in one covering for a wall will get me much, much more capability to throw up something to help.

The current reverbation times and reflections in the HT are in the .6+sec range in the mids, with some really weird loud reflections coming from seemingly random areas so we need a LOT of reduction.

Question is which tracks and from where? (inexpensively of course)

Any gotchas I should know about?

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I think the cheapest I've been quoted for 2" track was $3.75/ft. That was from Fabric Walls. Fabricmate have 2" launching later this year (it's listed on their website) but they don't have a price listed yet, but it should be safe to assume it will not be cheaper than 1" track.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
no tracks were injured in the making of these theaters. We used the old school furring on walls and fabric frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TGOXs93.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	871.1 KB
ID:	2293216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04489.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2293218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04248.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	2293220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8884.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2293222  
rboster likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
We need to add fabric tracks to some of the walls in my oddly shaped home theater. The plan is to put up 2" rigid roxul in strategic locations (a LOT of it) and then cover all of it via a 2" fabric track system. I'm already at the "socially acceptable" limit with 10 or so DIY panels, but an all in one covering for a wall will get me much, much more capability to throw up something to help.

The current reverbation times and reflections in the HT are in the .6+sec range in the mids, with some really weird loud reflections coming from seemingly random areas so we need a LOT of reduction.

Question is which tracks and from where? (inexpensively of course)

Any gotchas I should know about?

That's a fairly high reverberation time. Do you mind sharing more details about your theater, maybe sharing a picture? How were the 10 panels constructed and where are they placed?

The echo you describe sounds like flutter echo or slap echo. That is both easily fixed and very hard. It doesn't take thick treatments to solve it but they have to cover a portion of one of the offending walls. It's typically caused by two parallel surfaces but odd perpendicular surfaces like soffits can also cause them. It's hard because it's often caused by a wall you don't think or want to treat. Like the ceiling!

Could you share your etc and rt60 plot by chance?

Sent from my iPhone with a keyboard that predicts what I mean very poorly
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2017, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
That's a fairly high reverberation time. Do you mind sharing more details about your theater, maybe sharing a picture? How were the 10 panels constructed and where are they placed?

The echo you describe sounds like flutter echo or slap echo. That is both easily fixed and very hard. It doesn't take thick treatments to solve it but they have to cover a portion of one of the offending walls. It's typically caused by two parallel surfaces but odd perpendicular surfaces like soffits can also cause them. It's hard because it's often caused by a wall you don't think or want to treat. Like the ceiling!

Could you share your etc and rt60 plot by chance?

Mpoes12: I can find them later, or maybe just do a new run. Measured via REW and a pair of calibrated mics (to see if they both produce the same readings for sanity's sake, and they show the exact same issues)

The room is just a basement, not HT specific construction. Overall shape is a quasi-L and I am forced to go the "short direction" in the rectangular part. 17'x21'. The L portion is 12x6 and is attached to the aforementioned 17'x21' to the left of the HT.

The rear wall contributes a few very high peak reflections, and I have some random ones strongly reflecting off of two or more surfaces that add up to almost 40' of distance before getting back to the listener. I've found many of the locations by just holding up a thick blanket and going to different places and holding it up while running a test, so I know where the worst surfaces are. Unfortunately they are all over the place, depending on the frequency we have all kinds of surfaces causing an effect. Also have massive nulls in the 100-150hz arena, but I want to get the slightly higher frequency stuff tamed first, and hope the 2" will get the process rolling. Then move on to working to tame more specific areas.

I have two options for main speakers, NFR 6-45s and Magnepan 3.5rs. As ribbons they should not have as much effect as others with the ceiling, when I held up a blanket against the estimated first reflection points on the ceiling there was no major difference in the reflections shown in REW. Floor is a rug covered concrete.

I can't put individual panels up in the required locations due to artwork on the walls. Plan was to cover entire walls then replace the artwork over it. Not perfect, as it would reflect some HF, but they are uncovered canvas, so nothing as bad as glass covered paintings or something.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Mpoes12: I can find them later, or maybe just do a new run. Measured via REW and a pair of calibrated mics (to see if they both produce the same readings for sanity's sake, and they show the exact same issues)

The room is just a basement, not HT specific construction. Overall shape is a quasi-L and I am forced to go the "short direction" in the rectangular part. 17'x21'. The L portion is 12x6 and is attached to the aforementioned 17'x21' to the left of the HT.

The rear wall contributes a few very high peak reflections, and I have some random ones strongly reflecting off of two or more surfaces that add up to almost 40' of distance before getting back to the listener. I've found many of the locations by just holding up a thick blanket and going to different places and holding it up while running a test, so I know where the worst surfaces are. Unfortunately they are all over the place, depending on the frequency we have all kinds of surfaces causing an effect. Also have massive nulls in the 100-150hz arena, but I want to get the slightly higher frequency stuff tamed first, and hope the 2" will get the process rolling. Then move on to working to tame more specific areas.

I have two options for main speakers, NFR 6-45s and Magnepan 3.5rs. As ribbons they should not have as much effect as others with the ceiling, when I held up a blanket against the estimated first reflection points on the ceiling there was no major difference in the reflections shown in REW. Floor is a rug covered concrete.

I can't put individual panels up in the required locations due to artwork on the walls. Plan was to cover entire walls then replace the artwork over it. Not perfect, as it would reflect some HF, but they are uncovered canvas, so nothing as bad as glass covered paintings or something.

Rug covered concrete may be one of the big issues. Is it wall to wall carpet or just an area rug? If it’s just an area rug I would suggest adding a thick or thicker (if it has one already) carpet pad. Preferably the wool felt type.

Panel covers walls may be your best bet.
You could add rigid fiberglass insulation to stretched canvas prints. It helps them absorb some excess LF energy. Your room has so much excess energy that anything is probably good. Covering walls with fabric panels absorbs a lot of sound but due to depth restrictions tends to be focused on the 500hz on up range. Anything you can do to increase the range between 80hz and 300hz is good, that area needs it the most in a lot of rooms and often gets most neglected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page