Getting Frustrating...Tips? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Getting Frustrating...Tips?

I've seen tons of pics of people with cool racks that hold all of their AV stuff in walls, old closets, in the back of the room while the TV/Projection screen is at the front of the room, etc. All of it's nice, but my own issue is becoming extremely frustrating. I've almost completed choosing each piece of equipment that I'm aiming at implementing into my media room/home theater, but I'm nowhere near as savvy as most of you guys on here. How the heck do you have your AV receiver, game systems and everything else in the back of a room (or sometimes ANOTHER room), while your screens are on the total opposite side?? How are you running wires? How are you controlling devices?

At this point, honestly, I've given up. While it probably won't look as nice (and will be pretty sad to you guys), I'm probably just going to end up getting a black table/AV Cabinet to place underneath my mounted television and eventual motorized projection screen. That being the case, if I DID get a cabinet, won't devices overheat in them? I've seen tons of pics online that have cabinets with glass windows, but I'm pretty certain that people don't leave the windows open each time that they use something.. Would anyone be kind enough to recommend some of these AV Cabinets that haven proven to be reliable and that won't make your media room look like a joke? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Most of us run our wires for our theater in the ceiling or walls before drywall goes up. You can also run PVC from your media closet to accessible locations before you drywall just in case you need to add or swap out wires in the future. I didn't do that for my theater, but did implement PVC from the media closet to multiple places through the house before I drywalled the rest of the basement...just in case.

As far as controlling equipment from another room, You can use a universal RF remote control. An RF signal can travel through walls and doesn't need a line of sight like standard remotes. The remote that controls the LED's in my soffit uses RF signals and I keep the receiver hidden in the soffit. If it wasn't an RF controller, I'd have to have a little sensor hanging over the crown molding in order for it to detect signals....not cool

Most media cabinets also have vents or some type of slots built in and aren't fully sealed off so equipment can get some sort of air flow, but you can also add cooling fans just in case your equipment does overheat.

I had a ton of questions just like you before I started my build...this site can be your best friend for any questions you may have so you can turn your basement into the ultimate man cave!! Good Luck

It may not be your job, but perhaps it's your opportunity.

MPJ's theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 10-13-2017 at 11:44 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 111
All you need is a HDMI cable long enough to reach between your receiver and the tv (make sure it is redmere or other long distance cable). All the other cable runs should be relatively short between the components and the AVR.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
Most of us run our wires for our theater in the ceiling or walls before drywall goes up. You can also run PVC from your media closet to accessible locations before you drywall just in case you need to add or swap out wires in the future. I didn't do that for my theater, but did implement PVC from the media closet to multiple places through the house before I drywalled the rest of the basement...just in case.

As far as controlling equipment from another room, You can use a universal RF remote control. An RF signal can travel through walls and doesn't need a line of sight like standard remotes. The remote that controls the LED's in my soffit uses RF signals and I keep the receiver hidden in the soffit. If it wasn't an RF controller, I'd have to have a little sensor hanging over the crown molding in order for it to detect signals....not cool

Most media cabinets also have vents or some type of slots built in and aren't fully sealed off so equipment can get some sort of air flow, but you can also add cooling fans just in case your equipment does overheat.

I had a ton of questions just like you before I started my build...this site can be your best friend for any questions you may have so you can turn your basement into the ultimate man cave!! Good Luck
Thanks man...my home already has a "media room" space, so I won't be adding any drywall myself. I've always been the type that liked to learn how to do some projects around the home, but, I have to admit, I wouldn't trust myself to build a room from scratch at all lol. I honestly respect you guys on this site -- all of your rooms are outstanding! Maybe it's because I'm starting from so far behind, but seeing people on here build there own soffits and stuff is amazing as I couldn't imagine doing such. Seems like you'd have to already have a background in construction to do alot of this stuff...

Anyway, the room in your pic looks wonderful! Me asking about AV Cabinets probably goes to show how crappy mine will be in comparison, but it didn't hurt to ask my question. Thank you for your response
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTstang View Post
All you need is a HDMI cable long enough to reach between your receiver and the tv (make sure it is redmere or other long distance cable). All the other cable runs should be relatively short between the components and the AVR.
Good point...I'm so focused on knowing that at least one cable will have to travel quite a distance that I didn't stop to realize this. Thank you!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Take a breath , you're not under a deadline to get this stuff in before drywall is up , so you have time to learn . You can always get a media cabinet under the tv to get up and running , so you can research and dig through the build threads to see what you like and what you want to accomplish . You are going to find most of the really cool setups are the 3rd , 4th or 20th attempt the owner has gone through . This hobby is a never ending journey .

Settle in and accept that if you start down the path , you will either be changing , or thinking about changing your space almost all the time . Luckily , most of the crew here are really helpful , and the builders of the theater rooms are more than willing to help with details on how they've built or set things up .

It was like that when I got here
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 138
In our build (which has about 2 weeks left and will have a TON of work done in that time) we ran 2 conduits. One from the A/V rack closet on the side wall outside the theater to the back of the theater for projector and another conduit from the same A/V closet location to the front screen area. This will allow me to update cabling in the future should I need to do so. Feel free to check out my build thread via the link in my signature line.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hard as it may be, try not to get frustrated. First, there are tons of smart folks on this forum who can help, so reaching out is the first step.

I know I've found tons of helpful ideas and really creative solutions offered by folks on this forum, during my build.

For our setup, I ran conduit between the AV rack cabinet and project mount location in the ceiling -- but I could only do that because this was a studs-out remodel:

In addition, I ran an empty 2-inch conduit between the crawlspace on either side of the theater room, so I could pull more wires someday.

Lastly, I ran a short conduit for the LED soffit light:

For handling heat buildup inside an enclosed AV rack or cabinet, there are a few different ways to tackle this. Some folks use temperature-sensitive fans to exhaust hot air -- I'm not that fancy. I just cut a couple of holes in the side-wall of the cabinet holding my gear, to let it escape:

Others certainly have different ideas, but this was simple and easy, and has worked fine for our setup.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged!
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you have finished drywall and looking to run wires this will be your new best friend:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6001/100660170
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Running cables is a necessity in all but the most basic systems. Even if you have a TV up front with a cabinet housing all of your gear nearby, you will still need to run speaker cables for your surround speakers. When you get a projector, you will need to plan for that. The projector will most likely be mounted on the ceiling. It will need power and a signal cable that goes to your AV rack or cabinet.

Heat will build up in any type of cabinet unless you plan for ventilation. Since heat rises, the best system will have vents at the bottom to let cool air in and vents on top to let hot air out. You may or may not need to add fans to help move air through. Plan carefully, as this can add noise from the air movement.

Installing conduit before the room is drywalled is ideal, but there are lots of other ways of running cables in rooms that already have finished walls. Do an Internet search and take a look at YouTube for ideas. Spend some time educating yourself before you even consider picking up tools to start working.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 66
For controlling everything, look at Logitech Harmony remotes with RF control. They replace nearly all your remotes with a single universal remote. They are good devices that are easy to setup and use. Some of the other options you need a computer science degree to program/configure...

The Costco near me has a Touch screen remote with the harmony hub for ~$130. The hub is nice because you can also use your apple/android device as a remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page