Theater Room Color - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings: I have been monitoring AVS Forums for over a year now-a fantastic site. Only recently have I decided to plunge into a front projector to go along with a sizeable 7.1 surround system (in the industry for over 25 years so have "collected" a very nice audio system).Have been looking at a low-end DLP PJ like the Optoma H30.Would like to use it with a Da-Lite HC Cinema Vision 92" 16:9 screen.The room is dedicated 20' by 13'with seating 15' from the screen. The question is what color should I paint the room? I can't get away with the 18% reflective grey that I have read about at the forum(wife's objections!).The choices are dark green,brown or navy. Would one make any difference over the others??Any help would be much appreciated..........JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
The choices are dark green, brown or navy
I'd guess that brown is closer to the Munsell Neutral Value curve than green or navy, so it'll make less of an effect on the screen -- but it depends on how 'red' that brown is I guess.

Quote:
Dark, Rich Colors - skew a viewer's perception of the image on the display by making the picture look more like the surrounding hues. Therefore, you should avoid vivid colors.

Light Colors - reflect back to the screen and wash it out. Likewise, you should avoid light colors.

Neutral Grey - preserves and enhances the color perception. As recommended by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)'s, you can optimize your viewing environment by painting the room a neutral grey color, especially around the screen's field of view. This color actually looks great in my room. My wife was very pleased. In fact, this is one of my top five complements of my theater. One person have matched the color for home theater.

The Kodak 18% gray card is a visual reference for choosing materials. This can be purchased at a camera shop. The gray card is equivalent to a Munsell notation of N 5. The Munsell Neutral Value Scale runs from a matte white notation of N 9.5 (90% reflectance) to a matte black notation of N 2.75 (5.5% reflectance).

Other Neutral Colors - If you must deviate from neutral gray, the references the Munsell 'nearly neutrals'.

(Quoted from http://www.extremehometheater.com/Lighting.htm )

See
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=364398

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_viewing.htm

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/p...ools/card.shtml

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response Bob...it has been very informative. I will see if I can win over the "better half". Will keep you posted. Junk

post #4 of 16 Old 04-28-2004, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I think as long as the paint is flat and some what dark the color will not matter to a large degree. Once you lower the lights they all start to look the same... black.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #5 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

I agree with Charles. Also from BasementBob's quote
Quote:
Therefore, you should avoid vivid colors
and I don't know about dark green, but Navy is not a vivid color.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 PM

You should get some samples of different shades of grey. Sometimes they can be made to look good even with the lights on. To each their own though and it probably depends what the room is used for. Like if it's a family room/HT it would be harder to pass the grey than if it was a more dedicated room. You can see some samples of a room with shades of grey in my signature. Not sure how the colors came through in those pics though. The ceiling is a darker grey than the walls. It kills the reflections great but still looks good with lights on I think.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I use the Kodak 18% grey along with similar color carpet for the lower side walls, and it looks surprisingly bright when the lights are on (3 50w halogens). I've a few pics on my web site if you're tempted. :)

Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Hi BasementBob,

Quote:
Neutral Grey - preserves and enhances the color perception. As recommended by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)'s, you can optimize your viewing environment by painting the room a neutral grey color, especially around the screen's field of view. This color actually looks great in my room. My wife was very pleased. In fact, this is one of my top five complements of my theater. One person have matched the color for home theater.
Is there a paint color or code which I can look for eg. ICI, Dulux, Nippon, Jotun, etc.? Not sure if the codes are universal or country specific, but I'm hoping it'd help my search easier.

Thanks.

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I went with a flat dark blue. We love the color. And with the lights off during the movie, the room looks almost black.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-29-2004, 11:45 PM

I was going to post a theater color question but i maybe someone can answer it here.

I am going with a color similiar to this http://www.davidkruse.com/

Dark wine carpet,Lower half of wall black fabric,Goldish wall moulding,And a dark wine upper half,With black ceiling.

Should i have any problem with these colors?I have total light controll.

My only concern is seeing the wall chair rail/moulding.Its more of a dark gold rather than bright though.

The dark red/wine showed in the link above is most likely dark enough to fade into the background with the lights off?
post #11 of 16 Old 04-30-2004, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

pixel8 - I'm in the UK and sent off a piece of the Kodak colour card for matching to Duluxe. The code I got back was 6000n (no name).

I think some places can colour match on site if you already have the colour.

HTH

Quote:

post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2004, 04:57 AM

Thanks, HTH. Will check if we have the paint code here... Dulux 6000n. Hopefully that will save me from buying the Kodak card.

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
post #13 of 16 Old 04-30-2004, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HTH = Hope That Helps. :)

If you're in the UK, 6000n should be all the Duluxe mixer will need - that's all I had on the paper I gave them to match it with.

Gary.

Quote:

post #14 of 16 Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This 6000n Delux number looks like its the UK one which is different from the US's numbers. I asked them for 6000n and then saw all the numbers on the samples were in the 1000-2000 range...

Anyone have the US delux number for the 18% kodak grey? If not, anyone have another custom color formula or something from another paint brand for it? I don't want to go through the mess of finding and buying a sample from a camera store ;)

Thanks.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-10-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I went with red walls to enhance the weak red in PJ bulbs :rolleyes: J/K. In our room when the lights are out the walls look nearly as black and black front wall. I think wall color is definately not a large factor as people make out to be when the lights are low. Maybe DE could chime in.

-tReP

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #16 of 16 Old 06-10-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Image didn't attach..

-tReP
LL

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page