Attaching Wall Panels - Velcro? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-2004, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For my HT, I made frames out of ripped down MDF. I then attached GOM across the front of the frame, enclosing either rigid fiberglass or top batting, bottom rigid fiberglass depending on postion. They look very great.

But one thing I neglected to work out and am struggling with now is - how do I attach them to the wall? I really don't want to screw or name them as the nail/screw head would be exposed. So I am considering using industrial strength velcro.

Anyone have any comments or alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2004, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I was planning to do the same thing until it crossed my mind that there would be no good way to mount them... it's even more tricky to mount them if you intend to use them as corner bass traps. The three basic ways I was considering was: 1) Liquid nails/adhesive, 2) Velcro as you mentioned or 3) attach a hook to the back of the frame and hook it onto a bracket installed on the wall.

After thinking about the problem I decided not to make them that way as none of the approaches seemed ideal. Though of all the options I think I would have gone with #3.

Good luck
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2004, 10:03 PM

How about a "French Cleat"? Do a google search there are plenty of examples.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-2004, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about a "French Cleat"? Do a google search there are plenty of examples.
A French Cleat would work well for a panel hung flush with a wall (as long as it wasn't floor-to-ceiling length) but would be more difficult if hung across a corner. Also, I prefer to build using material I don't have to significantly modify (i.e. ripping lumber at 45 degree angles) since I have very few carpenters tools and even less confidence that I'd be able to make them properly even if I did...

If you do have a table saw handy or took a lot of shop in high school they would work well.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2004, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
An amount of 2 inch wide velcro will hang a panel with ease. The problem is making the velcro stay on the wall or panel when you adjust the panel or restick. There is so much grab with wide hook & loop, the velcro will tear the surface paper of sheetrock wall away. If it's wood, you can staple the hook to the wall and the loop to the panel back.
If the first placement is on the money, you should be OK.

I'm in the process of making full height panels that have an angled wood foot (away from the wall a bit) This will lean the panel on the wall and allow me to use just a few strips to stick the panel in place. Traps will be a corner loaded box with the same type of panel leaned against it.

A wood rail system is easy if you intend on going across a wall. Use a wood strip with a 10 degree cut on the wall & the same strip reversed on the panel. Just hang it. It's not unlike hanging a wall cabinet. A flat strip at the base will keep the panel vertical. This system creates an air space between the wall and panel. Might be useful in some rooms.

Good luck with your project
E
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thedeskE
An amount of 2 inch wide velcro will hang a panel with ease. The problem is making the velcro stay on the wall or panel when you adjust the panel or restick.
E
100% agree! I needed to hang some panels "temporarily" since I wan't going to be able to finish the theater room the way I wanted for a while. The hook and loop held fine but the glue surface peeled away from the wall. I finally had to use French cleats, as suggested above, to keep the panels in place.

Good luck!

"I'm a fanatic without a cause and I believe in it!" - B. D. G.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

I used/use velcro (the industrial strength stuff from Home Depot) to hang my panels.

I had no problem with the velcro ripping from the wall, but did have a problem with it peeling off of the panels (the adhesive was attached to the panels, whose backs are like plywood -- a lighter-weight version whose name escapes me right now). The wood grain made it difficult for the adhesive to stick. My solution was to use liquid nails on the strip of velcro that attaches to the panel. I was also careful to place the panels up ONCE. I haven't moved them in 18 months.

A French Cleat would work great. The velcro was cheap and easy. Plus, I was concerned about potential rattles. Depending on the French Cleat application, you could end up with rattels (though I'm sure you can use felt or something to take care of this).

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2004, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My solution was to use liquid nails on the strip of velcro that attaches to the panel.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind during my construction... I think I'll have a chance to use it.

Jason, great theater! Very spacious and I like the couches - very inviting.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all. I'm going to use velcro and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page