Green Glue - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1332 Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Don't you hear air moving ? Air is noisy... Driving with the windows down drives me nuts (and also gives you hearing damage in a select band of frequency needed for articulation of most female voices). I would think even with a helmet or gear on you still hear sound right ? The air makes no noise as you fall through it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
While I understand GG is the premier damping product to use between DW sheets, are there any other similar products that could be substituted for GG in the same application - even if less effective? I'm not asking for an endorsement, just what's available on the market by name.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #1323 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

While I understand GG is the premier damping product to use between DW sheets, are there any other similar products that could be substituted for GG in the same application - even if less effective? I'm not asking for an endorsement, just what's available on the market by name.

quietrock.com's "QuietGlue Pro"

Is also a viscoelastic constrained layer damping product for drywall.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are test result comparisons somewhere in this thread.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #1324 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks BB. I was seeing Quietrock referenced, but never noticed QuietGlue. On first glance it's not much cheaper, but I'll look into it.

redjr...

post #1325 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
From a practical standpoint, keep in mind the compressibility / viscosity of the different damping compounds. Some spread readily and others... don't.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #1326 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So I can assume Q... is more difficult to apply?... smile.gif

redjr...

post #1327 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
300% more viscous / stiff.

Eat your spinach

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #1328 of 1332 Old 05-30-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

smile.gif

redjr...

post #1329 of 1332 Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
I have read through all 45 pages of this thread and have read some invaluable things. Ted has some great info, and the Soundproofing Company website has some amazing articles to learn from.

I recently had my basement get water backup (just rain water, not sewage) like most in southeast Michigan. This destroyed my existing HT walls, which is not a bad thing as they were wood paneling. I currently have drop tile ceiling installed, two walls have foundation on the other side and two walls that lead to other rooms in the basement. I am looking at sound proofing the room as much as possible, but budget is always a concern. In a perfect world I would decouple with clips on all 4 walls plus ceiling with DD GG. However, I am going to need to scale back due to budget. Here is what I am looking at doing, but would like opinions for the best bang for my buck.
  • I would like to DD GG for two of the walls that lead to the other rooms screwed directly to framing. This is due to room size being a premium and I don't think I can lose the space with clips and channels as well as DD GG. Plus it would cost a lot less to do. Is this worth it to do if I am not doing clips and channels?

Also, is there a need to do all 4 walls with DD GG since two of my walls are foundation on the other side?
  • I want to do some new Ceilume Stratford tiles plus R13 for the ceiling. I have also read about GG on the subfloor with drywall attached to the GG in between the floor joists for added noise reduction. Is this worth doing as it seems fairly easy and inexpensive?
  • For the two doors I need for the room, where should I get the solid core doors from? I am assuming Lowe's or HD pre-hung doors are more than adequate once I add in foam around the frame and seal the bottom, correct?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
post #1330 of 1332 Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
If you use another drop ceiling, attach the drywall directly to the studs and only do the walls not against a foundation wall you will be significantly disappointed in your results.

attaching damped drywall to the bottom of the subfloor does work at reducing the foot traffic noise and of a dog running across a hardwood floor.
post #1331 of 1332 Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
If you use another drop ceiling, attach the drywall directly to the studs and only do the walls not against a foundation wall you will be significantly disappointed in your results.

attaching damped drywall to the bottom of the subfloor does work at reducing the foot traffic noise and of a dog running across a hardwood floor.
That's what I thought. It will be better than the existing wood paneling though for acoustics at least. Just not at keeping noise out from other rooms.
post #1332 of 1332 Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
What BIG should've said is that the drop ceiling will kill any soundproofing efforts you use elsewhere. If you are able to DD GG the ceiling as well, you'll do much better at soundproofing the room. DD GG on the side walls without clips will not necessarily be bad, just not as good as using clips. Again, however, its the drop ceiling that will eliminate any benefits.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page