Green Glue - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1358 Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to let everyone know that I finished a home theatre recently and I disregarded all the so-called evidence and "independant" lab results citing that Green Glue is the best thing since man discovered fire. Yes, that's right. Even after the controversial post a little while back, as well as my own so-what results using Green Glue in the past... and after reading, well trudging through really 45 pages of song and praise for the almighty Green Glue... I did the unthinkable. I used a drywall sandwich technique using... gasp. SILICONE!

Ok, I gotta be honest. I started out with 100% silicone, which is a huge saving over green glue. Still, silicone is the most expensive caulk at the *gasp again* big box Home Depot / Lowes store. I later switched to some silicone/latex type of caulk that was really, really cheap. I did all of this and disregarded all the internet experts saying how great and mighty green glue is, and how bad silicone is. Haha! Silicone not viscoelastic?! Whatever, rocket scientists.

I'm sticking to my belief. You stick to yours. I'm rubber, your "green glue", whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you! OK, that was just a joke. Anyway, good luck to all you super rich contractors out there who like to use "real" soundproofing products. For the cheapskate in me, I wish you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1358 Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 729
so what do you figure you saved using tubes of silicon over the green glue. Did you ever pull two pieces apart to see what coverage you obtained? What was your application rate. Tubes per sheet? Beads of caulk tend to end up as flat beads of caulk, Green glue tends to flow out into a puddle yielding greater coverage. Greater coverage tends to lead to more dampening.
post #1353 of 1358 Old 10-29-2014, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
so what do you figure you saved using tubes of silicon over the green glue. Did you ever pull two pieces apart to see what coverage you obtained? What was your application rate. Tubes per sheet? Beads of caulk tend to end up as flat beads of caulk, Green glue tends to flow out into a puddle yielding greater coverage. Greater coverage tends to lead to more dampening.

I have saved thousands. Yes, thousands. At a cost of what... $20+ bucks for a single tube of green glue, and that really is only if you buy in bulk over the internet and still have to pay per weight on shipping... granted, it is a large 28 ounce tube, you are still paying through the nose for green glue. When I used to use green glue in the past, I used about 2-3 tubes per 4x8 sheet of drywall, so about $40-60+ bucks for a single sheet of drywall. Really, I would try to stretch it out to 2 tubes of green glue for every 4x8 sheet of drywall, which equate to almost 60 ounces (28 x 2 = almost 60 ounces).

The latest caulk that I bought from Home Depot was a little over a dollar, yes as in uno... $1 per 10 ounce standard-sized tube of HDx brand silicone/latex caulk. I used about 5-6 tubes per 4x8 sheet. Do the math. I'm spending less than 10 bucks per sheet. AND I am getting good coverage. Just because you squeeze out caulk in a bead, does not make it stay that way. I used a drywall trowel after squeezing out the caulk and I was able to get 100% even coverage over the entire 4x8 sheet.
post #1354 of 1358 Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Like the use of the trowel for impoved coverage. I've never used tubes for a room, always the buckets. Most rooms are under $1000 so your must have a VERY big room to have saved thousands. How do you know if the Silicon is any better than peanut butter?

Green Glue vs. Peanut Butter
post #1355 of 1358 Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Like the use of the trowel for impoved coverage.
I seem to recall this being discussed a long time ago - and that the manufacturer didn't recommend a trowel (notched or otherwise) nor a consistent coverage over the entire surface. Meaning it didn't improve (or hurt) the final performance. Or am I not remembering that correctly?

(and thanks BIG for posting the peanut butter link so I didn't have to! )

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #1356 of 1358 Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I seem to recall this being discussed a long time ago - and that the manufacturer didn't recommend a trowel (notched or otherwise) nor a consistent coverage over the entire surface. Meaning it didn't improve (or hurt) the final performance. Or am I not remembering that correctly?

(and thanks BIG for posting the peanut butter link so I didn't have to! )
I was saying I liked the fact he troweled the silicon because I know it doesn't spread well
post #1357 of 1358 Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I would kill myself if I had to "caulk" my theater using a caulk gun vs the bucket. As to cost, my entire theater, including the equipment room was $700 in GG costs (And I had leftovers)... you couldn't save thousands if you did nothing at all.
Hell, why soundproof / treat the room at all when I can just put on some 5.1 headphones from *gasp* amazon and get perfect sound in my theater, so much cheaper than your "real" audio solutions!
post #1358 of 1358 Old 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
I was saying I liked the fact he troweled the silicon because I know it doesn't spread well
Ah, good - then I just read way too much into the statement...

But "troweling silicone" sounds like a euphemism that I'm afraid to look up on Urban Dictionary...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page