Insul-Shield cost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a heck of a time finding insulation locally for sound treatment. I finally found someone who can order JM 1" Coated Insul-Shield Black. It's $1.05 sq/ft for a 4'x100' roll, plus shipping charges. Unfortunately, I only need 268 sq ft max, so that leaves me with a lot of extra.

Also, when the local distributor called JM, JM said they haven't even heard of Linacoustic. Odd.

Anyway, does that price sound about right?

Thanks,

j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-13-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Insulshield is EXPENSIVE and that price is high. You can get Linacoustic Permacote for under 1/2 that price. I suggest calling around.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-13-2004, 06:19 PM

I paid $200 for a roll that size of Linacoustic. My local HVAC contractor ordered it for me.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-13-2004, 08:58 PM

I ordered it through the Pro Desk at Home Depot. It was $370 for Insul-shield Black which is 4' x 100' x 1" thick. I am not happy with that experience because although I ordered it on 11/24/2004, with estimated delivery by 12/08/2004, it is still not here. Apparently, their vendor in Kansas will not ship it until they have a full "stock truck" which means that they are waiting for other people to order other things to fill up the truck before they will ship my order. They did not tell me this when I placed the order, but I don't have any other options since I don't know where else to get this stuff. The new estimate arrival date is now 01/09/2005, but they say that the date could get pushed if they don't have a full stock truck.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I am really glad I didn't order Insulshield now. Look up some local HVAC suppliers who are JM dealers. They should have Linacoustic in stock. It's the same stuff at a different price. Average prices are around $180-210. I called around to every JM dealer in Fort Worth and found one company that sold me 2 rolls (4' x 100' x 1" each roll) of Linacoustic Permacote for about $150 each. He said that price was their cost. I think he just wanted to move the stuff. There are also lots of other alternatives from other companies if you can't find the JM stuff.

Go to the JM website and do a search for their local commercial HVAC suppliers. Make sure to search for commercial HVAC suppliers and not residential HVAC suppliers or all you will get is places like Lowes.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Here in Northern Virginia, I bought 3 rolls of 4'x100' Linacoustic for $135 per roll from the local JM dealer.

--curtis
post #7 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

When you apply/install 'Linacoustic' on your side and back walls are you trimming it down to 44 inches or are you leaving it at the 48 inch stock width, also on the front wall I understand you're supposed to cover the entire wall...Am I correct?

Does anyone have a link showing the proper way to install this product or any other brand and also showing how to properly apply material to cover it?

HH
post #8 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

That's waaay too expensive for InsulShield. There is another thread here discussing OC 703. This guy ordered it from HD and got it for literally pennies/sq-ft.

When the HVAC company came to install our basement system, I saw them using CertainTeed Duct Board. I ran to my computer and did some quick research on this forum and at the CertainTeed site. I found that this product was basically the same as Linacoustic. The only difference was Linacoustic came in rolls and this stuff came in 4'x10' rigid sheets. That was much too large for me to haul. I asked the installers and they referred me to the GM of their company. I called him and he quoted me $20/sheet delivered! I ordered ten sheets (400 sq-ft) and they delivered it the next day. If you have an HVAC comany the normally services your system, give them a call. I live in a new community and there are houses being built all around, so I had lots of other HVAC companies to try if our guys didn't want to deal.

jeff

What we have heah...is a failya...to communicate.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Some people staple, some use drywall screws and washers, some use glue. I'm using mine at the normal 48" width with drywall screws and washers. My fabric will be stapled. As for covering the entire front wall, that seems to be the most popular method from what I've read on this forum. I'm going to leave 1-2 ft at the corners uncovered so I can place 2" thick sections vertically over the corners for bass trapping. I think that was popularized by Ethan Winer or Dennis Erskine who also has other design methods and procedures that are most likely copyrighted. I'm no expert but other people like Dennis, Ethan, bpape, basement bob and others have posted on other threads.

Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
When you apply/install 'Linacoustic' on your side and back walls are you trimming it down to 44 inches or are you leaving it at the 48 inch stock width, also on the front wall I understand you're supposed to cover the entire wall...Am I correct?

Does anyone have a link showing the proper way to install this product or any other brand and also showing how to properly apply material to cover it?

HH

jeff

What we have heah...is a failya...to communicate.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I paid waaay too much for my Linacoustic here in Minnesota. Two Hundred ninety dollars a roll! (100x1x48) It was either that or pay double for Insulshield.

Marc Ye
post #11 of 15 Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by curtisG
Here in Northern Virginia, I bought 3 rolls of 4'x100' Linacoustic for $135 per roll from the local JM dealer.

--curtis
Hi Curtis-

Which dealer did you buy from?

I only need half a roll... if you have any left, let me know and I'll buy your leftovers. Otherwise, I'll buy a whole roll and offer up the other half to the forum when I'm finished.

-Clarence
post #12 of 15 Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 PM

Clarence,

I'm in St. Paul and will likely have some left. I'm picking it up Monday.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-18-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Ralph, but St Paul VA is a 12 hr round trip... I'm up by Dulles. So it'll be easier to just buy a whole roll for $135.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
Hi Curtis-

Which dealer did you buy from?

I only need half a roll... if you have any left, let me know and I'll buy your leftovers. Otherwise, I'll buy a whole roll and offer up the other half to the forum when I'm finished.

-Clarence
Bought my rolls from McCormicks in Manassas.

Sorry but I will have just enough to finish my HT and it's unlikely I will have any left overs. I might even need a little bit more so may end up buying some of that roll from you :-)

--curtis
post #15 of 15 Old 12-19-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Curtis-

OK, I'll check McCormicks and save some extra for you.

I'm off Mon-Wed so I can come by and reconverge your projector. Pick an afternoon or evening and I'll swing by.

-Clarence
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page