Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 946 Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That looks like a ton of work for the beveled ply/mdf frames. No debating that you get what you put into it, there are some really supurb looking installs in this thread. Personally, I think the bevel is more work and results in a slightly dated look - so we'll be going the route of a square edged panel with a reveal for a little more modern approach.

I was curious if anyone has used the professional fabric wrapped panel method of a hardened resin edge of OC703 (or similar)? Here are a couple of photos of some panels for a 600 seat theater - 2" thick material with hardened edges and z-clips set in the resin. The boards are very rigid, especially with the hardened edges and the z-clips keep them tight to the wall. These are close to a full sized 4' x 8' sheet and trust me, very rigid.

Cut panel to size, apply resin to the edge, set clips and spray mount fabric. Done.

Has anyone tried this approach?
post #633 of 946 Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have gone on a tool buying binge. I have always wanted a router table. Thought of building one but the Kreg unit looked sooo cooool. That I could not resist. So I ordered the Kreg stand, table top, self squaring fence, lift, micro adjuster, on/off switch, casters, Rockler Feather board kit, Rockler coping sled and the porter cable 7518 router motor. Told ya I went over board.

Man did the boxes start to show up it became an all after noon Saturday project. Four hours to put all the stuff together. Here is a photo of some of the boxes.

post #634 of 946 Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The old NEC 9PG+ failed in the middle of a movie. Dam!!! Now I just have too buy and new projector and screen.

I sure do like the Panasonic PT-AE4000U and maybe a AT screen, that is wider then 110".....
post #635 of 946 Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Liked: 12
The JVC and its derivatives (Anthem, etc) are going to be one of the closest things you will get to a CRT in terms of true contrast. Double the price of the Panasonic though. Good luck.
post #636 of 946 Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRBoomer View Post

The JVC and its derivatives (Anthem, etc) are going to be one of the closest things you will get to a CRT in terms of true contrast. Double the price of the Panasonic though. Good luck.

The budget for a new projector is around $2,000.

We bought the NEC about 15 years ago form USC University hospital when business started moved to smaller LCD projectors. It has been a great run with the CRT. Started off using it in the garage with a big bed sheet on the back of the garage door. Then moved it too the theater.

My wife will be very happy to get rid of the bulk and the loud fans of the NEC 9PG+.
post #637 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post

That looks like a ton of work for the beveled ply/mdf frames. No debating that you get what you put into it, there are some really supurb looking installs in this thread. Personally, I think the bevel is more work and results in a slightly dated look - so we'll be going the route of a square edged panel with a reveal for a little more modern approach.

I was curious if anyone has used the professional fabric wrapped panel method of a hardened resin edge of OC703 (or similar)? Here are a couple of photos of some panels for a 600 seat theater - 2" thick material with hardened edges and z-clips set in the resin. The boards are very rigid, especially with the hardened edges and the z-clips keep them tight to the wall. These are close to a full sized 4' x 8' sheet and trust me, very rigid.

Cut panel to size, apply resin to the edge, set clips and spray mount fabric. Done.

Has anyone tried this approach?

would the fiberglass go through the fabric if you touch it? i.e. would my guest itch all over if they lean against the panel like touching raw fiberglass insulation? if not, is the fabric acoustically transparent enough to be useful?
post #638 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Called Visual Apex today to get in line for a Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector. Hopefully they will have some by this Friday. Then Fed-ex ground shipping, so maybe We will have a new projector by May, 7th.....
post #639 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshsu View Post

would the fiberglass go through the fabric if you touch it? i.e. would my guest itch all over if they lean against the panel like touching raw fiberglass insulation? if not, is the fabric acoustically transparent enough to be useful?

I have linacoustic fiberglass behind the the GOM fabric and there is not problem with anyone being itch.
post #640 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

I have gone on a tool buying binge. I have always wanted a router table. Thought of building one but the Kreg unit looked sooo cooool. That I could not resist. So I ordered the Kreg stand, table top, self squaring fence, lift, micro adjuster, on/off switch, casters, Rockler Feather board kit, Rockler coping sled and the porter cable 7518 router motor. Told ya I went over board.

Man did the boxes start to show up it became an all after noon Saturday project. Four hours to put all the stuff together. Here is a photo of some of the boxes.

Nice Rig! How do you like it. I almost went that route but ended up with the cast Bench Dog iron table saw extension and BD pro lift. What router you using with it?

edit ahhh I see you have the PC that looks like the same one I have, great motor!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #641 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Nice Rig! How do you like it. I almost went that route but ended up with the cast Bench Dog iron table saw extension and BD pro lift. What router you using with it?

edit ahhh I see you have the PC that looks like the same one I have, great motor!

You are correct I bought the Porter Cable 7518 replacement motor. That way you save some money. I did not need the handles, as I plan to keep the 7518 mounted in the table 100% of the time. I have the Festool OF1400 for hand work.

Below is a photo of the Porter Cable 7518 beast mounted in the Kreg lift.

post #642 of 946 Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Changed my order to Projector People as that have the AE4000U in-stock and will ship it out so I get it by the weekend. Now I just need to order a universal mount and a long HDMI cable from Monoprice.
post #643 of 946 Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took the NEC9gp+ down last week. Replaced it with the Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD 1080p projector.

UPS delivered it at 8:45PM. The call the day before and told us the delivery required a signature. UPS request that your are available from 9:am until 7PM. The that show up at 8:45PM. Our normal UPS deliver is between 11:30am and 1:30pm. But the day I really want something they are so so late. I guess it is better deliver vs being delayed until Monday.

The Panasonic PT-AE4000 is great very bright. So bright what I put the projector in econ mode. I was a little disappointed with the Monoprice mount. That was discussed in this thread

Now I just need to deal with reorganizing the rack and finalizing the mount.
post #644 of 946 Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Took the NEC9gp+ down last week. Replaced it with the Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD 1080p projector.

UPS delivered it at 8:45PM. The call the day before and told us the delivery required a signature. UPS request that your are available from 9:am until 7PM. The that show up at 8:45PM. Our normal UPS deliver is between 11:30am and 1:30pm. But the day I really want something they are so so late. I guess it is better deliver vs being delayed until Monday.

The Panasonic PT-AE4000 is great very bright. So bright what I put the projector in econ mode. I was a little disappointed with the Monoprice mount. That was discussed in this thread

Now I just need to deal with reorganizing the rack and finalizing the mount.

I have a Chief RPMAU for my AE-4000U and am pleased with it.

My (Old) Theater Build Thread

Samsung UN75-F6400 | Denon 2313CI | Def Tech BP8060 | Def Tech CS8060 | Def Tech SR8080 

post #645 of 946 Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 729
+1 Chief Brand, I don't have the Panny, but never had a problem with my Optoma.
post #646 of 946 Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update on the new projector purchase.

At first, as stated above, I called Visual Apex as they were her on the west coast. Problem was that were waiting foer thee shippment. So I could be waiting for over a week just to ship.

Then I called Projector People, but now it was Tues and it takes 5 working to get stuff from Florida. So I paid the extra $25 to get the projector 3 days ground.

The next morning rolls around and I checked the UPS tracking status on UPS. It shows GROUND with a schedule delivery of next Tues. So I call Mike at projector People and he said it was their fault. Great but that means I will not get the AE4000u for the weekend. Mike said not to worry. They will recall the first projector and send another one 2 day air, at their expense. Now that is great customer service!

Well Friday I got my projector for the weekend. Thanks Mike
post #647 of 946 Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
They did the same thing with me back around Christmas. Same thing happened with the UPS ground mix-up, and they offered the same solution. Had it the next day. Great service!
post #648 of 946 Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a few pictures of the new projector. This one shows the size difference between the Panasonic LCD and the old NEC CRT projector.

post #649 of 946 Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Business must be good, boat load of new tools and a new projector. Have fun.
post #650 of 946 Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the modification that was necessary to get the Monoprice spider adapter plate to work on the Panasonic PT-AE4000. The first photo shows the longer leg that needed to be fabricated. I used a tee-track from Rockler. The tee-track was strong and rigid. It also had the tee-track slot that I could slide the nut into to make the attachment to the adapter easer.

The second mod was necessary to keep the mount at the balance point of the projector. I had to abandon the mounting holes at the ends of the spider legs. Thats why you see large fender washer use in the spider leg slots.

This mount is only temporary as it does not keep the projector locked in. So I need to replace it with a more substantial mount. Most likely the chief mount on a 6" pole.
post #651 of 946 Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Great thread. Just finshed "GOM'ing" the front of my theatre black. I will seriously consider doing to the sides and rear of the theatre. I bought enough GOM to keep going.
post #652 of 946 Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexic View Post

Great thread. Just finshed "GOM'ing" the front of my theatre black. I will seriously consider doing to the sides and rear of the theatre. I bought enough GOM to keep going.

your need to do the entire theater you will like the results!
post #653 of 946 Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

I added some pictures at the end of my thread for my fabric frames solution to a hidden wall for the rack components. Here are the pics:

This is quite an old forum, and Gary maybe gone but if your still here did you still have your photo's listed somewhere I could see them? Starting a new HT build myself and been reading forums for at least 60 or 70 hours to get a good idea of what I want. There are many solutions which are quite beautiful, but way out of my budget. I cant post it yet because I have just been lurking up to this point, but it the Fiber Room with the Red seats and columns.. I read the first 50 or so pages.... WOW

I really like the wall panels and would like to see what you have done as well. To attach them I'm not sure if I want to use the liquid nails as its extremely permanent, and the speaker grill plugs that some have suggested I see being trouble. I don't think it be hard to get it to line up as you can use a JIG to center everything, BUT I see them pulling out of the dry wall since they do not get attached into anything really solid. I'm linking the French Cleat option, but like others have mentioned could be afraid of rattling. Anybody used the French Cleat design and how did it work?

GPowers amazing work. I'm just on page 9 right now and reading. Is there anything you would of done differently and how has it held up? I think you said you used the X-10 product for lighting, I gave it a quick read seems pretty inexpensive, Is there a good place to really learn about it and how I can use it really effectively?
post #654 of 946 Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:

The frames serve both aesthetic and acoustics. The lower frames are backed with compressed fiberglass. As is the bottom of the soffit.

What was the determining factor of how high up the wall you used the compressed fiberglass?
post #655 of 946 Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NVME View Post

What was the determining factor of how high up the wall you used the compressed fiberglass?

Acoustically "tuning" a room can either be a trial and error or a scientific effort requiring testing equipment. There are some "Pros" that hang out here that may or may not offer their advice for free but you will get plenty of opinions based on some general principles that may or may not work in your situation.

You ought to read up a little on the topic and you can start here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=faq

If that gets you interested there is a master sticky thread on acoustical treatments up top in this section of the forum.
post #656 of 946 Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gpowers is still around, photos are at http://www.stargateunofficial.com/ht

Spelling in the link corrected.
post #657 of 946 Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Spelling error - should be http://www.stargateunofficial.com/ht
post #658 of 946 Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks!! Jumping and reading it now. The wife is getting a little sticker shock I have toned down alot of what I wanted, trying to get her to buy into a theatre room vs. a movie room.
post #659 of 946 Old 09-16-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf View Post

Spelling error - should be http://www.stargateunofficial.com/ht

Sorry iPhones are a bitch....
post #660 of 946 Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 AM

Hi guys,

I am about to start building some fabric frames and was wondering whether people thought butt joints or mitre joints were the best way to go?

Cheers,
Simon
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page