post #91 of 915 Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by sharms

I was wondering where you got all your fabric from (did you order it online or buy it locally) Is the stuff expensive.

Lastly you put in some kind of batting just wondering where you purchased it and what kind it is.

It is all GOM about $1,100 bucks, bought it on-line.

The bottom half of the wall is JM linocoustic the top is a 1" loft Poly Batten from Joann's fabric. The bottom of the soffit and the entire area behind the screen and speaker walls are also JM linocoustic.

GPowers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 915 Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greg,

Did you look into any other acoustic material other than linocoustic? If so how did they compare? What site did you purchase it on and how much was it?

Thanks, Kevin
post #93 of 915 Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
GPowers:

Did you do any before and after ETF5 measurements ?

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #94 of 915 Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by KevinRS
Greg,

Did you look into any other acoustic material other than linocoustic? If so how did they compare? What site did you purchase it on and how much was it?

Thanks, Kevin

Only look at products discussed on this forum. A good source of info is the thread:

.Acoustical wall treatment debate

The first choice was Owens Corning Fiberglas 703 Series duct insulation. I sourced the Owens Corning product through Home Depot during the planning phase of the home theater project. When is came time to purchase Home Depot could not get the product.

So I switched to my second choice Johns Manville Linacoustic. Went to the Johns Manville website and found a supplier in the LA area. They shipped it too me, I live 30 east of Los Angeles

GPowers

post #95 of 915 Old 01-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Greg,
Thanks for the info.

Kevin
post #96 of 915 Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BasementBob
GPowers:

Did you do any before and after ETF5 measurements ?

No, sorry i'am not that technical.

GPowers

post #97 of 915 Old 01-15-2005, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Any new on the wallworrks fabrilok system?

Dave
post #98 of 915 Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Here is the response I got:

Hello Bud, thank you for your inquiry.

Please let us know if you are inquiring about one of our Trak system applications or perhaps about any of our Modular (premanufactured) Panel products.

For USA sales of our Trak systems products please contact:
Master Distributor - FabriTrak Systems, N.J.
Attention : Lou D'Angelo, 1-609-409-6700,
(your inquiry has been forwarded)

For Modular Panel products or other speciality items you may contact us directly and we will be pleased to supply directly to you.

Lyle Fuller
1-877-829-2550, ext 23
lyle@wallworks.com

I have not heard back from Lou at this point and have not had the opportunity to call yet. I'll try him on Monday.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #99 of 915 Old 01-15-2005, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Good.

It sounds as if they would supply the parts.

Dave
post #100 of 915 Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Awsome work Mr. Powers. Just what im planning on doing. I first saw this type of design at www.cinematechseating.com

p.s. Im not affiliated with Cinematech Seating in any way. I merely posted the site to compare with Greg's design.
post #101 of 915 Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ifeliciano
Awsome work Mr. Powers. Just what im planning on doing. I first saw this type of design at cinematechseating

Now that I have done this theater and built up my confidence I would try something more elaborate next time. Something with more diversity then just continuous same size frames.

GPowers

post #102 of 915 Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 PM

I ran across this company, AcousticsFirst, in one of my home recording magazines. They even have the beveled 45 degree look like Greg's.

no pricing but I will call them. They do any size up to 4 feet.

go to acousticsfirst.com to see this product.

(you have to copy/paste the link above until this forum logs 500 entries for me to allow url posts). I have 498 left to go.
post #103 of 915 Old 01-23-2005, 11:10 PM

LimoWreck, did you ever get pricing info from Wallworks?
post #104 of 915 Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I was researching fabric-coverings on speaker columns, and I recalled GPower's nice looking panels.

I'm considering doing something like the way regular speaker grill frames attach to speakers.

Has anyone ever used these on the front face of a column?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-367

Do you think they might also work on panels like yours?

They're certainly cheap enough to try... (15 cents per pair)

post #105 of 915 Old 01-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Clarence-Larry Chanin used those for his procenium. Pretty good sized panels.

The only difference between outlaws and inlaws is one of them is wanted.
post #106 of 915 Old 01-31-2005, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Clarence

I'm considering doing something like the way regular speaker grill frames attach to speakers.

These look like a great way to make the frames removable. One concern that i would have would be the possible of the frame vibrating against the wall and causing a rattle.

They are definitely worth a try to see how they perform.

GPowers

post #107 of 915 Old 01-31-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I feel the same way about the vibrations as Greg. Another thing is that they are a bit more labor intensive to install because you need to drill both sides of the attachment point. You better make sure it is located properly.

I ended up using industrial Velcro to attach my grills, which are very large (see my gallery). Vibration is not an issue, and there is a built-in fudge-factor for installation. Furthermore, I ended up using very little Velcro. The initial installation of the velcro made my grill essentially permanently mounted. I nearly broke the oak frames trying to get them off. I then reduced the Velcro by a lot, now using only 6 2-3"x1-2" strips. The thickness of the Velcro (hook side and loop side combined) makes the frame stand off of the structure and thus avoids rattles there.

If you made large and heavy acoustic panels that you wanted to be removable, you could try just using more Velcroheck, it's cheap enough to fail without too much financial pain.

Dave
post #108 of 915 Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 PM

Liked: 11
The best way to handle chamfering MDF is to use a table saw to cut most of the material away and then use a carbide router bit with a ball bearing guide roller to clean up the edge. There is no way you can get a clean cut with a table saw and you take to much material if you use the router bit to do it without ripping it with the TS first, although it will work and I have done it many times when I'm in a hurry. Also, you should use a good quality mask when cutting MDF.

Looks great Greg.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"
Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"

My Theater Build

post #109 of 915 Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks gregavi it was a lot of work.

Never though of using both the table saw and router to finish it off.

GPowers

post #110 of 915 Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is an update on fabric frames. This is a photo of the back corner were the A/C return is. The top still need to be finished with a black counter top (Granite, corian or the like).

The last area to finish is the door covering the equipment located in the front left corner.

GPowers

post #111 of 915 Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Love the look. Nicely done.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #112 of 915 Old 02-07-2005, 11:19 AM

I checked with local (Dallas area) distributor for Fabri-Trak (US distribution of the Wallworks product) and discovered that they will not sell the tracks to individuals. They perform the entire installation service including acoustical treatments and fabric. Since I am planning to do the work myself, this doesn't work out fo me. If anyone has found a distributor that will sell directly to the public, let us know.

Regards,
Bob
post #113 of 915 Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 AM

rmurto,
I have talk to Wall Mate out of California.
They have pretty much the same system.
And, I think they would sell you.
thanks.
post #114 of 915 Old 02-09-2005, 08:56 AM

The Ordering page of the Wallmate site says this:

"We are not able to respond to the many inquiries we receive from home designers, decorators or those who's livelihood is not related to professional groups (Acousticians, Architects, Facility Managers, Hotel/Restaurant Managers, members of the Painting & Wallcovering Contractor's Association, Film-Music/ Entertainment Industry, et, al.)"

I can understand why some specialty product manufacturers only want to sell to repeat installers (to keep support costs lower), but I would be willing to buy a product like this with no support obligations since I'm the type to just work through problems on my own.

Maybe I can have a painter friend of mine order for me.
post #115 of 915 Old 02-09-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jlange
... I would be willing to buy a product like this with no support obligations since I'm the type to just work through problems on my own.

We are cut from the same mold in this regard.

I went down this path a year ago with similar products and got nowhere. I'd be interested in your results. If you are required to make an absurdly large purchase, PM me and perhaps we can find some others that would go in on a big purchase.

Dave
post #116 of 915 Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Have you guys looked at fabricmate? My indications are that they would sell to the end user and they have a similarly easy system to put up. I'm trying to decide right now if I'm going that way or try to go about building frames.
Greg
post #117 of 915 Old 02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
All,

I just received a call from Milton Morris from Wallmate. I had sent him and email a few weeks back and he just discovered it. Turns out that they WILL sell to the consumer. Apparently they just revamped their system and have tracks in 7/16", 9/16" and 1". The costs are 1.55 (7/16), 1.65 (9/16) and 2.05 (1") per foot. They have square, beveled and radius tracks. I'm still a few months out from the fabric, but I plan on calling and ordering at least some sample pieces in the not so distant future. Here is Milton's number: (818)772-7770. Tell him Bud sent ya!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #118 of 915 Old 02-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Hey, Bud,
Make sure keep us posted on this?

Thanks
Ken

Sea Breeze Theater is now under construction.
post #119 of 915 Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 AM

Hi Greg:

Sent a PM to you yesterday and after that decided to re-read the entire thread to make sure my question was not answered somewhere in the chatter.

On your soffits -
- what are the dimensions of them - from the wall to the edge of the soffit where it turns up to form the tray and from the ceiling to the bottom horizontal surface of the soffit

- how far out from the wall are your lights mounted (i.e. the center of the light out from the wall, going in a horizontal direction

- how far down from the ceiling is the inside horizontal surface of the light tray and how big a "lip" did you install on the tray?

I am assuming that you used 3/4 mdf and 2x4's for the construction of the tray based on the pic that you posted in the thread.

Oh yes, one other question (I can't promise I won't have more later though -

How did you fasten the GOM on the inside of the light tray when you wrapped it round the lip? Did you leave enough room for you to get the nose of the air-stapler in there somehow?

I am drawing my HT up in cad on the computer and am in the middle of trying to puzzle out the soffit/rope light tray at the moment - your approach is the best I have seen as far as construction technique goes and I am going to try and incorporate your design with some dimensional changes for my room.

Thanks for your help,

Lewis
post #120 of 915 Old 04-14-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by LewisCobb

On your soffits -
- what are the dimensions of them - from the wall to the edge of the soffit where it turns up to form the tray and from the ceiling to the bottom horizontal surface of the soffit >>> 14" off of drywall

- how far out from the wall are your lights mounted (i.e. the center of the light out from the wall, going in a horizontal direction >>> 7"

- how far down from the ceiling is the inside horizontal surface of the light tray >>> 9" off ceiling

- How big a "lip" did you install on the tray? >>> over all 4 1/4" includes the 1" cavity on the bottom for linocoustic, 3/4" MDF (bottom of soffit) and 2 1/2" lip for light tray

I am assuming that you used 3/4 mdf and 2x4's for the construction of the tray based on the pic that you posted in the thread. >>> Yes

How did you fasten the GOM on the inside of the light tray when you wrapped it round the lip? >>> Staples

Did you leave enough room for you to get the nose of the air-stapler in there somehow? >>> Just enough!

When i get some time Friday I will do a little drawing of the sofit.

GPowers

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page