AVS Forum banner

Riser Height Calculator

288K views 240 replies 140 participants last post by  hku427 
#1 ·
Every now and again, there's a thread about what is an appropriate riser height. Unfortunately, there is no one answer that covers all situations. Everyone's setup is different, and requires a different answer depending on many different variables. Here's a fairly easy formula to figure the exact minimum riser height for your setup.

Riser Calculator
Courtesy of trunks in Post #2

First, take the following measurements in the same increment (e.g. inches):

S=Floor to screen bottom

H1=Height of seated front row viewers top of head

E1=Height of seated rear row viewers eyes (no riser)

D1=Screen to front row viewers eyes

D2=Screen to back row viewers eyes

Then, plug them into these calculations:

H1-S=V1

V1/D1=R

R*D2=V2

V2+S=E2

E2-E1=Riser height

V1=Vertical 1, V2=Vertical 2, E2=Back row eye level (with riser).

This formula uses a single height viewer in both rows. If you think you'll have taller people in front and shorter people in back, you might want to adjust the numbers slightly to compensate. You will probably come up with a number that seems too high. It is not. This number is the minimum riser height that will allow a person seated in the back row to see the entire screen, over the head of a person seated directly in front of them. Anything less, and some of the screen will be blocked.

Happy Building!

Rob

See less See more
#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/12079321

Anyone having trouble with the calculator - seems to be hanging up on calculation - tried IE, Firefox and Safari (from different computers, networks and firewalls).

db

Seems to be working fine, but I'll take a more in-depth look at it tomorrow. The only thing I see in the error log are divide by zero errors (user input errors). I'll add some input verification and error handling so those can't happen anymore.

-Jake

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/12234084

Worked again for a few days and died. Sproadic (never had trouble in the past).

I've DLd the .xls file for now.

db

I added the input validation today. please PM me with the values you are submitting if you have any problems in the future. Also, please note that the URL changed for the calculator. I don't think this could be causing any problems, but I will probably let the old domain expire next year.

-Jake

#108 ·
quick question, should my front row look up a little and my second row be looking dead center of the screen(with full view of screen as well) is this correct??

#109 ·
Good question. I am actually at this point also so this question could not have come at a better time. The way I look at it is that my first row will be the "premium" everyday seat so I will have the eyeballs in the middle of the bottom 1/3 of the screen, then using the riser height calculator, determine what the riser height should be for the second row to clear the heads of the first row.

My first concern is that my riser may need to be 14", so I'll have to use 2x12 instead of 2x10 or 2x8.

Second concern is if the screen is placed a bit higher for the first row to be looking up slightly, what would be the limit before neck strain sets in. I will have recliners in the first row and real theater seats in the back row.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudak /forum/post/6102643

As mentioned earlier in this thread, good sightlines are the result of many variables which include riser dimensions. I still believe in a good drawing (in scale) instead of mathematical formulas. When you draw your floor plan, expand it to show a section through the room. Here is a typical sightline drawing without dimensions. You may of course simplify - the idea is to show the basic geometry.

You might want to change your web links. They lead to a sextoys site.

#111 ·
I really appreciated the perspectives regarding riser height. We have just started our process for a 13Wx25Lx7.5H HT.

We originally had a 10'Wx7'Lx6"H riser for the second row roughed in when I realized that it may not be high enough for people in our 4 w/loveseat Pallisers to clear the first row of 4 w/loveseat Pallisers. My 92 inch diagonal screen has to be about 35 inches from the floor.

After seeing all of the commentary on this thread as well as the calculator, I expanded the riser to 12" with a 22" wide, 6" front step. This also leaves ample room to be on the top part of the riser before seating down (about 22" as well). I am glad I started with a decent sized 7' footprint. My wife thought I was obsessing and being overly anal about the whole thing.

Once my contractor made the change, it was clearly the right move. I will not have any issues seeing the full screen from the second row. I also ended up with just under 6'8" height from the riser to the ceiling.

Thanks again!

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden /forum/post/9942560

Thanks. I missed that nuance.

What's the rule of thumb for a step? At what point is a step "too high" (i.e. you need an intermediary step before it). When I measure the steps in my house, it looks like they are between 6"-7" high.

Thanks.

Check your building codes (there is discussion on page 1 about this). Quick answer -- under 8" / step should be ok.

#116 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the riser formula. Worked like a charm.

Here are some pictures of the riser.

Reactions: sterlingma1
#118 ·
Well, one way you can get around a riser is to create a bar behind your main seating area and have that seating be higher bar stools. Just looking for the more comfortable barstools that someone can sit in for the duration of a movie. Another advantage is that the rear seating area is then closer to the main seating area.

A friend went the opposite way and sunk his floor for the main seating area by about a foot into his basement (the extra height might have improved his audio response also). Then he built a table height bar directly behind the main sunken seating area [bar height is just below the average top of heads] and uses some very comfortable upholstered, high-back office chairs for bar seating. It brings six people close together in his 14 foot wide room.

#123 ·
Because of ceiling height, I am (foolishly, most likely) thinking about excavating a pit for my first row seating.

Just to double check I'm thinking about this correctly, I'd want to lower the height of the front row viewers head dimension when using this calculator, right?

Thanks,

-Dave

#124 ·
#126 ·
I am going to have 3 rows of seats and I was planning on doing two risers. The first two rows will have reclining theater seats and the back row will have a couch. I think that the first riser should be around 10" with the second riser only needing 8". First row will be 10' from the screen and the second row will be 15' from the screen. The back couch will be flush against the back wall which is 22' from the screen. The ceiling is 8' and the top of the screen will be 6" down from the ceiling. Any issues with this setup?

#127 ·
To verify the riser height was good, I put blocks under a chair until it sat at the height I thought I needed. I then put another chair in front of it and had someone sit on both chairs and look at the mock up of the screen. If the front person's head was in the way, more blocks were added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.