Riser Height Calculator - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 192 Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Been looking for something like this for a while

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I understand this link is for height of the riser, but wanted to ask if 5 ft depth is enough if I want to put a sofa (sleek and not bulky) instead of recliners? I have limited space (total 18ft deep room).
post #183 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
I understand this link is for height of the riser, but wanted to ask if 5 ft depth is enough if I want to put a sofa (sleek and not bulky) instead of recliners? I have limited space (total 18ft deep room).
not sure I understand, 5ft depth? please explain where this is measured from (e.g. ground to top back of sofa?)

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #184 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post
not sure I understand, 5ft depth? please explain where this is measured from (e.g. ground to top back of sofa?)
Sorry, I want to build a riser for 2nd row seating. Since I have limited space (from screen wall to the opposite wall, total 18 ft), I was thinking to build a riser and put sofa instead of recliners to save space. So, if I am thinking to put sofa on the riser, how deep should the riser be from one end to the other? Would I be ok with 5ft or even less?
post #185 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I want to build a riser for 2nd row seating. Since I have limited space (from screen wall to the opposite wall, total 18 ft), I was thinking to build a riser and put sofa instead of recliners to save space. So, if I am thinking to put sofa on the riser, how deep should the riser be from one end to the other? Would I be ok with 5ft or even less?
so, you're asking about the width of the riser? If facing the screen, the length would be perpendicular, the width would be the distance from the backwall, in that case what is the width of the sofa? I think you would want to measure that first and add about two feet (maybe slightly less if space is a concern)

post #186 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post
so, you're asking about the width of the riser? If facing the screen, the length would be perpendicular, the width would be the distance from the backwall, in that case what is the width of the sofa? I think you would want to measure that first and add about two feet (maybe slightly less if space is a concern)
Thank you! The sofa will be roughly 30-32" in depth(seat) and roughly 81" wide. So, I believe you are saying add roughly 24" to 30"? This 24" will be the leg room/space for people to walk out of the couch. correct?
post #187 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! The sofa will be roughly 30-32" in depth(seat) and roughly 81" wide. So, I believe you are saying add roughly 24" to 30"? This 24" will be the leg room/space for people to walk out of the couch. correct?
correct, obviously give it as much as you can....then once that is done you can then calculate the height to clear the front row (top of people's head) based on the screen height to know how high to build the riser.
busybe likes this.

post #188 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Sit in the couch in your living room, and put a piece of tape 24-30" in front of it... see if walking in front if it, particularly with someone seated, is comfortable enough with 24" of space. I would think with a 30-32" deep couch, if you did a 5' deep riser, that gives you 28-30" of space, would probably be okay.
busybe likes this.
post #189 of 192 Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 PM

Thank you kmhvball and tradewinds
post #190 of 192 Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Is there a rule of thumb for staggered seating (front row has 3 seats, second row is 2)? My riser for the second row will be 12", but as the second row seats are staggered, and the heads will fall between the heads of the front row, the second row doesn't have to be so high does it?

I just wondered if there was a percentage reduction, though part of me feels that although the view ahead will be unobstructed, the heads will still obstruct off at the sides and the riser is still better off as if the seats were aligned and not staggered.

Anyone have experience of staggered seating on a riser?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #191 of 192 Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 260
My seats are staggered some.. I have 4 in front structured |O^00^0| and 5 in back, structured |O|OOO|0|. In my case, my seat backs are higher than the top of the head, so, where the head is doesn't matter.

The outer two seats can kind of look through the wedge arms of the first row... but, I don't rely on that. I would have to go back and look, but I think my 2nd row is about 14", and it becomes a very close line of site... I can just see the bottom of the screen over the top of the front row when the 2nd row is reclined and 1st row is upright (so, easier line of site if both are reclined).

The riser height is also a function of the bottom of screen height... mine is nearly 30" up from the floor, the lower the screen starts from the floor - the higher the riser should be. Additionally, the distance from Screen to 1st row to 2nd row is also important. My screen is 'close' to my first row, it is about 8 or 9' away, and my second row is 6'9" behind. The closer to the screen, the higher the riser needs to be.

Conceptually though, if your seat backs are a bit lower, then I think your reasoning sounds good, but I can't say with great confidence whether it would work or not.
post #192 of 192 Old 09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Thanks for the reply.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try the lower riser and see how it works out at say 8 inches, and then increase it to the calculated height of 12 inches if I don't think it's good enough. I'll need to use a couple of people or cardboard cut outs to simulate how it would look with real people at the lower riser height though, just to be sure.

I wonder if it's worth me reposting this in the ain part of the forum for more feedback in the mean time.

Cheers

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction