Hidden door knob/ lock/ hardware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I was just watching Stewart Little for like the 50th time :eek: with my 3 1/2 yr old ( she just loves that movie) and got to thinking about the door to Stewart's basement hobby room was really cool. It was curved and wallpapered to look just like the wall. Also noticed a lack of a door knob just a little brass thingamabob to get in and out. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has seen a place to buy some sort of hidden door knob or hardware set? Something that would work like a regular interior door latch but that doesn't have the normal door know associated with it. Any Ideas????

PS do you I might be spending a little too much time analyzing some of these movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

no idea's?
post #3 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 03:08 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Ideas: I'm finishing up a couple of columns on hinges to hide and av rack and storage so I'm looking for the appropriate latch myself

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...478041,00.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The child proof latches that use magnets might be of interest. Home Depot sells them. Totally invisible.

"Push in and spring out" magnetic cabinet latches might be another alternative.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Try doing a search for woodworking, and cabinet builders supply companys, they should have what you need. There are many, I have dealt with a few. One that has a good supply of hardware is
www.rockler.com Another is www.wwhardware.com, and
www.eagle-america.com. Just to name a few.

ED
post #6 of 21 Old 02-27-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'd be interested in the same thing myself. I have a closet door and I want a low profile handle. I thought about just adding a deadbolt lock or designing my own somehow.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
in progress.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 06:41 AM

I am also quite interested....the kid in me I guess. If anyone figures this out post here for sure.

LOVE THE OPRAH QUOTE.......LOL
post #8 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 10:40 AM

post #9 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 10:43 AM

I like it.....little too crafty for me.....not that talented with wood. I would love to see somebody come up with a way to have a remote trigger on a door so it pops open.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

this stuff looks pretty cool but they don't show what they use for harware.
hideadoor.com
post #11 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Very very very nice......pricey but nice. Now all we need is how to DIY.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 AM

HEY IF YOU ARE INTO DIY, AND WANT A PUSH BUTTON REMOTE, WITH A SIMPLE 12 VOLY POWER SUPPLY YOU COULD USE THIS,
http://www.a1electric.com/popdoor.htm

ED:D
post #13 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by molach
HEY IF YOU ARE INTO DIY, AND WANT A PUSH BUTTON REMOTE, WITH A SIMPLE 12 VOLY POWER SUPPLY YOU COULD USE THIS,
http://www.a1electric.com/popdoor.htm

ED:D
I was just thinking the same thing. The problem is that you might be SOL if the power goes out and you don't have a backup power for it. You could also wire up a linear actuator to fully open and close the door for you.

If I was going to do that, I would find one of the statues like on the old Batman TV show with the button hidden under the head. "To the bat cave!"

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
in progress.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm putting in a hinged access panel under my stairs for storage. I'm just using a spring-loaded magnetic latch... like the ones on most stereo cabinet glass-doors.

Press it about a quarter of an inch, the spring releases and pushes a piston out about an inch.

Only a couple of bucks at HD.

post #15 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Try this site...I was thinking of doing the same thing....

http://www.hiddendoors.com/index.htm

This is the latches

http://www.hiddendoors.com/latchlocking.pdf
post #16 of 21 Old 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM

I built a "hidden door" for the utility room in my last house. For the hinges, I used these. For the latch, I used a latch made by a company named "Glynn-Johnson". The latch works just like the magnetic push latches that are on glass doors for equipment racks, but the latch is actually made for a full sized door. I looked for a link to the latch on the Internet, but couldn't find one. I bought both products from a local specialty hardware company.

Here's a picture of the room with the hidden door. The hidden door is on the wall on the far right side of the picture - to the right of the black speaker that is hung on the wall and to the right of the white switch plates. You can barely make out the outline of the door in the picture...

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/506/315614_wide_2.jpg
post #17 of 21 Old 03-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Scott, can you post or link a bigger picture? It's hard to see the details in the small pic. I would also like a closer look at the hidden door if you don't mind. A close-up of the seam/hinges/latch would be most welcome. Is that a standard door or a custom one?
post #18 of 21 Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 PM

Lawrence, I custom built the door myself. I no longer live in the house where the door is, so I can't take any additional pictures for you. I've posted a much larger picture at the end of this post. (The file is over 1 mb in size, so it may take several seconds for it to load.)

I built the door myself for two reasons. First, the door goes to the utility room which contains a very noisy furnace. I wanted to build a very thick and heavy door to try to contain the sound. The door is about 6" thick, with two layers of MDF on each side with insulation in between. It also has very heavy weather stripping around the door to form an air-tight seal. I textured and painted the outside of the door to match the surrounding walls. Second, the door is an irregular shape and there is no way I could have found a pre-built door to fit the size I wanted.

Due to the odd shape, I didn't want it to be obvious that it was a door. That is why I opted for the hidden hinges and hidden latch. All you can see from the room is the outline of the door. I actually hung a picture on the door, so most people never noticed the outline of the door. They thought it was just a wall.

In the link below, look at the far right side of the picture. You will be able to clearly see the door outline.

hidden door
post #19 of 21 Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM

Scott,
I was wondering about the latch system you built for your door. I have seen some latches that you just push on the door to open it. What did you use to open your door, push, maybe a button, a handle of some kind? I don't see one in your picture, so I am assuming it is hidden.

Ed
post #20 of 21 Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 PM

Ed, I wish I had some pictures of the latch, but I don't. The latch is a hidden latch that opens just by pushing on the door and then it pops open. It works kind of like the magnetic latches that you sometimes see on glass doors. However, the latch does not use magnets. The latch is built by a company named "Glynn-Johnson" and is made specifically for full sized doors. I found the latch at a specialty hardware company ("Denver Hardware"), that is fairly close to where I live. I tried to find a link on the Internet to the specific latch that I used, but couldn't find one. My suggestion would be to call around to local door hardware companies in your area and ask if they have anything similar.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Scott,
I seen a latch like the one you described in my search, it wasn't the same name as the company you mentioned, but it worked the same way. I believe it was made for the door to swing both in and out. I tried to find it again, but I was unable to locate it. I will try a better search this evening, and post a link if I find it.

Thanks, ED
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page