The Chiu Theater (professional construction) done in 60 days - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 97 Old 08-11-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know anyone in the South who runs their house at 68 F. That sounds positively frigid to me. I know that when it goes below 70 I need a jacket. My comfort zone is 75 to 78.

To: blipszyc
thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure that would be sufficient. My equipment puts out a lot of heat. Since this is done by contractors, it cost money to "experiment", so I only want to fix this problem once. I rely on the HVAC company for guidance and the 3rd zone is what they recommend since my zone controller already supports a 3rd zone.

To: ksharp4
The screen/projector is great for movies. I did have a single problem with a PS2 game called Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow which is an extremely dark game where you prowl around in the dark. It is so dark, not really playable. But the combo works great for everything else, really love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I live in the south and I would love to keep my house at 68. We do occasionaly lower it at nite to 68 or 69 but durring the day its at 73.

The reason we lower it at nite is to controll humididy. As the outside temp falls the A/C unit runs less and the humidity goes up and makes the house feel much warmer than it is. We need to run the temp down accordingly.

If I had a very efficent de=humidifier I would run that and keep the house a little warmer.

Jeff
post #93 of 97 Old 08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Lawrence,

The room looks great.

What size is your equipment closet? My equipment room will be 4.5'x9' and I'll probably have a rack on wheels like yours. I'm just trying to imagine how much room I'll have.

Also, thanks for mentioning the cooling aspect. My theater will have its own split system, but I can see how the equipment room would get a lot warmer than the theater. I think we are planning on a supply and return plus possibly an exhaust fan. I listened to a bathroom fan at the home center and could barely tell it was on. It was rated at 1 sone. I think the ones I have in my bathroom are about 4 sones, but there I need the noise masking :)
post #94 of 97 Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

To: eskay
The equipment room is 3'-2" wide. With the 19" rack, that leaves about a foot and a half to pass by. It works for me but I'm a skinny guy. I have friends who can not get to the back so wider is definitely better. If I had a choice, I would have gone with 6'. The wheels on the rack is useful because you can push the rack forward if you need more space in the back to work on wiring. I definitely recommend the wheels. For example, I had to push the rack forward so the HVAC guys can work on the supply in the back.

I highly recommend zoning the closet if that is an option. We hosted a meet here last Saturday. Except for 2 hours off for lunch, the system ran from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm non-stop. The temperature in the closet was rock stable at 78 F which is what the thermostat was set to. The Denon 5805 runs very hot. The surface feels like you can cook on it but Denon says this is normal.

I am glad I bought a tall rack (43 rack spaces) since this allows me to space the equipment out. I played around with the spacing and decided to put at least 5" gap between equipment.
post #95 of 97 Old 08-18-2005, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have gotten a couple of PM's about the surge protectors and isolation transformers. Rather than reply separately, I thought I would share this information in this thread.

The surge protectors protect against electrical surges. Because they do not use MOV's like typical surge protectors from Panamax, Monster, Belkin, etc., they don't have a limited lifespan. You can learn more at zerosurge.com.

The ZeroSurge surge protectors were $142.3 each. Each one protects a single 20A circuit. "Zero Surge, Inc. (www.zerosurge.com) PM-20-120 Series Mode Adaptive Surge Filter". The normal price is $224.48 at alliedelec.com but I got these direct from ZS on sale. They had a clearance sale at Christmas.
===
The Equi=Tech isolation transformers turn an ordinary 20A circuit into a balanced power circuit (+60V on hot, -60V on neutral). This technique reduces electrical noise. You can read about how it works at equitech.com but honestly, I still don't understand how it really works.

The Equi=Tech isolation transformers were $474.00 each. Each one cleans a single 20A circuit. "Equi=Tech (www.equitech.com) 2kVA Toroid “Transformer in a Box†isolation transformers". The normal price is $1,159.00 each.

http://www.equitech.com/purchase/prices.html
model = 2QB

but I bought overstock for a discount. Equi=Tech sells overstock at this website.

http://www.equitech.com/products/seconds/seconds.html

I see that they have a 15A model right now for $399. Mine is 20A and is a different model which is why slightly higher price.
===
Lastly, people have complimented on the carpet and I appreciate the kind words. It is Shaw "PLAY TIME L0053" carpet, color "53500 BLACK BEAUTY". The carpet company that sold and installed the carpet is Garrett Floor Coverings Inc at (713) 861-5240.

Thank you and please feel free to post your questions here or PM.
post #96 of 97 Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 AM

Your theater looks great. I am glad to hear that it is the camera making the wood show through the GOM. I was going to ask if you could allways see it, but I thought it could be a sore subject. Congratulations on a great looking finished product.

Later,
Brian

I love NEW technology, it makes the stuff I can afford even cheaper.
post #97 of 97 Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I keep my theater at 70-72 in the Summer. Wife needs a blanket (and I could lose some weight ;) )
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page