Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 81 Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your design looks very similar to the theater in this multi million dollar 17,000 square foot house. This has been one of my favorite designs. How would you like to spend a few months in Texas and build me a cinema? :)
http://img264.echo.cx/img264/8816/ci...hewoods6nu.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 192
Congratulations. Very well thought out and executed.

| 
|
|
|
post #63 of 81 Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

My kids looked at the pics and said "Wow! I wish we had a theater like that." When you see the work that takes place in a room in HED mag (and likely endless funds), you like it. When you see a room like yours that involved sweat and plenty of planning, you envy it. It is what makes this hobby so exciting and fun.

post #64 of 81 Old 05-24-2005, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ
Your design looks very similar to a theater in a multi million dollar 17,000 square foot house in HED mag. It has been one of my favorite designs. My kids looked at the pics and said "Wow! I wish we had a theater like that." When you see the work that takes place in a room in HED mag (and likely endless funds), you like it. When you see a room like yours that involved sweat and plenty of planning, you envy it. It is what makes this hobby so exciting and fun.
Rob, Thanks for the kind remarks. I spent a year searching for ideas and inspiration in every HT pub I could get my hands on. I'd go to the book store every week, get myself a coffee and go through their most recent stack of HT mags. I visited as many HT's (many on-line in this forum) and real theaters as I could, photographing many of them. There was no shortage of free decorating advice from friends, family and neighbors as well. And, yes, you busted me! The theater you mentioned was a large part of the inspiration for my color scheme (though maroon and gold are traditional theater colors) and the curved steps on my stage -- I saw it in the same publication. That is an old publication, it's amazing that you recalled it and made the connection. For that, whenever come to the Palace, you will have VIP status. Thanks again.

Chris

post #65 of 81 Old 05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The theater you mentioned was a large part of the inspiration for my color scheme (though maroon and gold are traditional theater colors) and the curved steps on my stage -- I saw it in the same publication.
I remembered it because it has been a favorite of mine. Even after looking at many designs and thumbing through magazines, Great Escapes (I think thats the name of the book), and websites, it has ramained a favorite of mine. When I saw your pics, I instantly recalled.

You've motivated me to better my own. However, I have to use sub-contractors or I'll end upcosting myself far too much in costly mistakes. Now, If I could only fit something like Billy Blank's theater in my 12x22 room........ :confused: ....

Oh. And by the way. Now my kids think our set-up sucks. So I told them "Fine. I'll just drain your college accounts!"

post #66 of 81 Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ummm...

It looks okay. I guess. I could have done better in half the time. ;)

I had to say something different...

Ron
post #67 of 81 Old 01-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Gee, i am speechless. I wish my HT would turn out half as good as your's, carmbuster. You did an awsome job !!

I can't believe it took me almost a year to see your final product.
post #68 of 81 Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I absolutely love his HT. I have nice color pictures of it sitting on my bench in my basement....... ironically next to my HT in progress.

Jerrod

psn: shookjer
post #69 of 81 Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Chris... very nice theatre and detail. I know one the qualities I'll be looking for in my next girlfriend - "...what sign are you and can you sew?". The details are just wow.

I was wondering if you have any detail pics of the construction of your lights as I have been thinking ahead on my HT and have strongly been considering having lights in the columns, very much like yours.

If you do not have such pics, can you tell me how the hell you did them -- sorry as I get excited as I picture them in my head.

To me, it looks like you masterfully cut out the 3 sides of MDF? and bevelled (sp?) them, and attached grills on the inside? What is the light source?

PF
post #70 of 81 Old 03-24-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud55
I was wondering if you have any detail pics of the construction of your lights as I have been thinking ahead on my HT and have strongly been considering having lights in the columns, very much like yours.

If you do not have such pics, can you tell me how the hell you did them -- sorry as I get excited as I picture them in my head.

To me, it looks like you masterfully cut out the 3 sides of MDF? and bevelled (sp?) them, and attached grills on the inside? What is the light source?

PF
Pink, Thanks for the kind comments. The curtains were actually very easy to do once they were figured out.

Regarding the column lights, they are constructed out of MDF using lock mitre construction. The columns were made in three sections with the middle section being removable for servicing lights and speakers. The cutouts for the lights were done w/ a pattern cutting router bit and a template I made out of masonite. The outside edge of the openings were then machined w/ a 45 deg chamfer bit and the inside was milled w/ a rabbeting bit. Then I cut a piece of perf sheet metal (this stuff is used to make radiator covers) to the rabbeted dimensions. Next I installed a piece of white plexiglass (light white - not sign white) and held in place with glazing points. I applied mouldings to the columns to cover up the seems of the three sections, only attaching the moulding to the middle section. Light source is a 15 Watt Bulb in a ceramic socket.

I included some pictures below and there are more along w/ some DIY notes in the "construction album" of the photo gallery on my web site http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/My-Theater-Projects

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...02/col1514.jpg

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...02/col1515.jpg

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...02/col1517.jpg

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...bum02/PC51.jpg

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...bum02/PC53.jpg

http://chrisarmbruster.com/Gallery/a...bum02/PC52.jpg

Chris

post #71 of 81 Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM

I'm humbled. Awesome work. Beyond me, but hopefully not for the guy that I'll be hiring -- let's hope. Not only are they stunning, but also functional.

Thanks a bunch.

PF
post #72 of 81 Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 PM

Very elegant! Curtains are classy. Time to enjoy it now. I know how proud you must feel because I just finished my theater and I am in there every night with the family enjoying it. Your neighbors will be green with envy :eek:

post #73 of 81 Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM

What Beautiful Workmanship. I live near Allentown. I might be giving you a call :)
post #74 of 81 Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Stunning, simply stated.

Click to view

Click to view
post #75 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Outstanding!!! I really like what you have done. Especially the proscenium. I've been trying to draw out something similar. This really gave me the proportions that I would want. Do you have any detailed drawings of what you did. I'm having a hard time with picturing the scale. What size is the screen?

Again, just fantastic.
post #76 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Chris,

How did you attach the columns to the walls? Did you have extra cross brace 2x4's strategically added to the walls before the drywall went up to attach them to?

Thanks,
Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #77 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 AM

I must concur. I was looking for a guy that did this kind of thing last year for my own basement.
post #78 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoeller
Outstanding!!! I really like what you have done. Especially the proscenium. I've been trying to draw out something similar. This really gave me the proportions that I would want. Do you have any detailed drawings of what you did. I'm having a hard time with picturing the scale. What size is the screen?

Again, just fantastic.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have CAD drawings of the how theater in DWG (autocad compatible) format. If you can work with that, PM me w/ your email and I'll send along. The screen is eight feet wide. There is a whole coinstruction gallery on my personal web site (see signature).

Chris

post #79 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandixon
I must concur. I was looking for a guy that did this kind of thing last year for my own basement.
Thanks. Did you find him?

Chris

post #80 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside
Chris,

How did you attach the columns to the walls? Did you have extra cross brace 2x4's strategically added to the walls before the drywall went up to attach them to?

Thanks,
Rob
When the room was framed, I planned for the columns - just made sure that there was a stud behind each column. After the room was sheetrocked, I attached some 1X6's to the wall where the column would go. The 1X6's were cut to the length of the inner dimension of the column (a smidge longer). The columns then mount to the wall with a compression fitting (no fasteners) for the removeable pieces. For the non-removeable pieces, I nailed the columns to the 1X6 blocks.

Chris

post #81 of 81 Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

XBL Gamertag:
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page