A cool theater logo... print, project or animate. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can someone wield the search engine more effectively than I and deliver the location of the thread regarding theater names? If I recall it was a mighty long thread... multiple pages, and had theater name submissions from members from all 4 corners of the board.

reaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You have to look in the Archives:

>>> Did you name your Home theater? <<<<br /> http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hreadid=359330

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #3 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did that. I went to the archives and searched for the word "name" and limited it to topics of threads. I got no returns. Thanks for finding it for me. How did you do it?

reap
post #4 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Darn, the thread did not have the info I was seeking. Does anyone know if Alan Gouger named his theater?

reaper
post #5 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PM Alan, He'd know

Pam
post #6 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by reaper
Thanks for finding it for me. How did you do it?

I posted a name I was thinking about for my theater in that thread. In the search I just typed in that name and put my user name as the poster.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

post #7 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another thread:

>>> What's the name of your HT? <<<<br /> http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hreadid=177875

post #8 of 1847 Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah... but I was thinking about doing something for him as a bit of a surprise... so that might take some of the fun out of it.

Didn't see any postings by him in there either...
post #9 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As a teaser for what I'd like to do for him, I rendered this image:

I think it'd be cool to fully animate that with audio and give it to him. It would be a short clip he could play before movies. Do you guys agree that it would be a cool thankyou for running this board?

Some questions:

I can save it out into several movie types commonly found on PC... Quicktime for one example. Would it be worthwhile for me to do this. Do you guys even know if he has a HTPC? Can this or some other format be played or converted to something that will play on a normal DVD player? Will DVD burners read in a Quicktime movie and convert it to normal DVD standard?

Also, at the current size of the image, 1280x720, rendering this movie may take more than a day and result in a quicktime file close to 1GB! Does anyone know of a lower resolution that would still look good when projected? What about half that resolution?

Lastly, should I change the lettering to something else? Since I couldn't find his home theater name, that was the best I could come up with.

reaper
post #10 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I suggested the "Guano Regal" (anagram for Alan Gouger) - but I don't think he went for it. Apparently bird or bat dung was not the image he was going for.

I'd just PM him and ask if he settled on a name and ask if it is something he'd be interested in incorporating into a demo/preview DVD.
post #11 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Allright, I guess the surprise thing isn't going to work too well. Unless, maybe he'd be excited to simply get the still image I posted and use that as a startup image on his projector if he can change it out... we'll see, I'll let him know where it is...

reaper
post #12 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Reaper

Wow this is great. I wasn't expecting anything, it has been a while for my quest so this comes as a surprise

Now I want to find a way to print this to clear plastic so I can back light this..sort of a DIY HT sign. Ive seen some of the guys on forum doing this so I have some research to do.

I would think you could make something up for others as well. If we can figure a way to light this with in a sign you may find yourself very busy
post #13 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think he will find himself very busy by just flashing that sample above..
post #14 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
reaper
Great idea; however, I think the cat is out of the proverbial bag. I agree that a big thank you is in order to Alan. I have garnered many nuggets of knowledge from those participating on this forum.

Best regards
Don

"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible will take a week, ten days at the most."
post #15 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Liked: 13
Alan,

The easiest way to make it a backlit sign is to print it out on an inkjet printer onto clear decal film (available at Staples or any good office supply store). When you print it, print it mirror imaged (i.e reversed) You can then apply the decal to the back of a piece of Plexiglas and will have a nice translucent sign you can illuminate any way you choose.

-Gary.
post #16 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It depends on how big you want it. If you want it poster size call up a printing company that does screen printing. They might be able to do something for ya and the whole thing should glow nicely.

Or some place like this: http://www.photocommunications.com/t...t-display.html
post #17 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Find a cheap old slide projector. Make the picture into a a small slide. Then you can make others with trivia or whatever on them. Hide the projector in the back of the room and run the projector before a movie like they do in commercial theaters.

Though, animated would be really cool. Can you do all the animation first and then add the name at the very end? That way, if others want the same thing, it could be less work for you.

post #18 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The animation is built already... I don't know if I made it clear, but a guy on some blender forums did most of that work. I have just been modifying it to home theater demand. I would simply change the name and click animate and then wait forever until the movie was done. If a ton of people want animations... I may have to modify the blender source and then supply that to people to render the movie on their own machines. If people simply want still images, I can probably do that myself for free for people. I can't imagine I could charge for something like this since it is somewhat someone else's work AND it's an official logo. So, I was just hoping to give it away for friends on the forums...

reaper
post #19 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
OK Reaper, what do you think you'll be chargin' for these puppies? I still need to come up with a theater name, but once I settle, I'll be banging on your door.

Bud
post #20 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well Bud,

That's a great offer, but I still feel a little uncomfy charging for this. I don't want to get in trouble with anyone. Would it be odd to just give them away (still images) and toss my paypal address out there in case anyone wants to "donate to my theater" Hehehe?

reaper
post #21 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree Reaper, very awesome!!!I'd be interested as well in the animated version if you PM me a price..

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #22 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
reaper:

This site http://tombstone.dogcrap.net/tombstone.php

lets you type in messages to appear and then generate things like:

Now you have an additional goal: how to user interface your project at a website.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #23 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That's quite a goal! Surely would be nice to automate the process. It might be a bit beyond me though... unless I was the monkey behind the scenes manually fulfilling the web based requests full time.. hahaha!

I am rendering an animation right now. I hope it finishes before I leave work and have to shut things down. I am still not sure if the audio is working. If so, I will try to post it for people to see but I am not sure if I should do so on my web page. I'll think about it. I just don't want to get charged out the nose if it gets downloaded 1000 times.

reaper
post #24 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Btw,

if you like the sill image.. I think you guys will love the animation!

reap
post #25 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just to give credit to the guy who built the original model, his name is blazer003 and can be found on the blender forums. I don't want to claim responsibility for this. He made an awesome model and animation. I am just changing it to please some home theater users. His original use was to create a movie for his church. He also posted a request not to sell the model. So, I just want to reiterate that request. I will try to help you guys and would not be opposed to donations for my time. But I am not requesting money for this.

Animations require large amounts of render time. If lots of people want animations, I may set up the blender model for these people, request that they install blender and post some simple 1-click type instructions that they could then generate the movie on their PC, freeing up some compute time for me and my poor laptop... I feel so bad for him... with his fan running on super high while he generates these movies for us. Haha

reaper
post #26 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Reaper,

If I could ony send beer in the mail... When I'm ready, I'll let you know, a HT donation would work with me. How much are those Auras?

Bud
post #27 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I almost jokingly linked to a beer of the month club but then envisioned myself buried in cases and cases of beer... I decided not to do that.
post #28 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Reaper

Wow this is great. I wasn't expecting anything, it has been a while for my quest so this comes as a surprise

Now I want to find a way to print this to clear plastic so I can back light this..sort of a DIY HT sign. Ive seen some of the guys on forum doing this so I have some research to do.

I would think you could make something up for others as well. If we can figure a way to light this with in a sign you may find yourself very busy

Alan,

If interested, my brother-in-law own's a large sign making company in south Florida. He's made banners and stuff for my band and mainly does work on large yachts and stuff like this.

I could inquire and see what it would take, but I'm 100% positive he can print onto clear film like you asked about...
post #29 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I rendered a movie at 320x180 and produced a quicktime file. Unfortunately, it is 120MB and the audio is not working. So, there is some work left to be done. Also, the render time was nearly three hours.

So, I still need to:

1. Determine what resolution would be good for a DVD
2. What format would be best for creating a DVD. I hear that DVD burning software may be able to read in an avi and convert it to
3. Get the sound working...

reap
post #30 of 1847 Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to say Reaper an AVI or WMV would be the best bet for high quality work that is going to be projected,but yes file sizes most likely will be HUGE!!But you could easily achieve dvd type resolutions..

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page