AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Looks tremendous. Congrats!

What element of the build are you most proud of? (Probably hard to pick from such a great job).

Hard to say what I'm most proud of... Obviously, anyone that sees the basement for the first is drawn to the theater, 120" screen, etc... I'm really proud since I did it all by myself. The fabric and all of that....

That being said, I think all of the stained bead board, molding, chair rail, etc is pretty catchy too. I could have made it a plain Jane basement with painted white molding and still had the theater.... but it wouldn't have been near the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post

Jerrod - great looking theater. I am in NC as well in Waxhaw, suburb of Charlotte.

I had a few questions about your lighting. You are one of the few who went with out cans and used just sconces. I am thinking about 7 sconces with 2 60w bulbs in each much like yours. Your room appears to be very bright. Any regrets on no cans? I assume that you dd/gg and did not want to disrupt your soundproofing. I thought of putting in track lighting for the front to light up the stage and screen but your small cans look nice. Did those effect your soundproofing? What cans are those?

Thanks, you got it right on the cans. I used RSIC clips with hat channel, DD and GG and when I actually though about cutting 6 or so 6-7" holes in the ceiling, just didn't make sense. I can't remember if I have 60 or 75 watt bulbs....??? But with them turned all the way up i's plenty bright. Add to that the fact that I have dark carpet, stained wood and black around the stage and it's still a fairly bright room.The cans above the stage are in the soffitt.... so the ceiling is still above them. The lights are Emrald brand I got from Lowe's with 50 watt bulbs.

You can kinda see from this picture....
post #663 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Beautiful, I hope mine comes out somewhere close.

Best advice I can give you is take your time and do it right the first time. Also, showing your wife pictures of your favorite HT's from AVS helps too! When I saw something I liked, something over the top or insanely expensive, I showed my wife. She would usually love it and either say do it or no way. If I didn't get the right answer, I'd just tone it down a bit.... compromise..... and usually get what I wanted.

Now, I admit all wives aren't created equal. I have to give her major props because I got the "You're F'in crazy" look from her more than once......
post #664 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Wowsers!!! Everything looks great. I love the pool table, where'd you get it from. Congrats on a job well done.

Thanks man, got the table from Raleigh Pool and Spa here in Raleigh.... It's made by Legacy.
post #665 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Very nice!

Btw - the beer sticker was a royal PITA to remove from the kegerator.... until I hit it with some stainless steel cleaner and plastic putty knife.

Thanks for the heads up on the sticker. I still can't figure out why so many companies don't realize the stickers they put on stuff don't come off very easily....????
post #666 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Fabulous theater and very sophisticated attention to detail. Congrats on the article too.

On another note: Crikey you Americans have some H-U-G-E homes! I'm in Toronto and when my wife and I watch home shows from the USA, or for instance when "Super Nanny" visits a suburban American home we just can't believe the sheer size of everyone's house. It's like the average suburban middle class person owns a mansion compared to most houses in our experience.

No wonder home theater does so well in the U.S.A

More thanks.... I'm anal about details but certainly like the finished product.

As for the house, I bought it solely based on square footage. It was plain, nothing fancy, unfinished basement..... Knew that I could fix it up how I wanted over the years.
post #667 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
Nice work, I really like your bar!
post #668 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Wow, amazing. I've been browsing these build threads and I have to say yours is my favorite so far. I especially like the theater. It just looks so warm and inviting.

Great job!
post #669 of 681 Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmeat View Post

Wow, amazing. I've been browsing these build threads and I have to say yours is my favorite so far. I especially like the theater. It just looks so warm and inviting.

Great job!

Thanks man! Plenty of nice theaters here on AVS so keep looking around and build one!
post #670 of 681 Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
AWESOME job!

I appreciate that you held out for the 2 taps on the kegerator.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #671 of 681 Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Beautiful game room too!

Jerrod, what kind of sealer did you use on the bead board? It looks glossy. Does it reflect light from the screen when you are watching a movie?
post #672 of 681 Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott View Post

Beautiful game room too!

Jerrod, what kind of sealer did you use on the bead board? It looks glossy. Does it reflect light from the screen when you are watching a movie?

Thanks.... I think the flash makes it look that way... I used Minwax Poly, Satin finish. I used gloss out in the rest of the basement, but not in the theater.
post #673 of 681 Old 04-07-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm no expert when it comes to drywall I did it for a short period of time when I was younger and my friends say my results are really good. What I found was mixing your mud is so much better I used fast set in the theater. In 45 minutes it was rock hard plus it seems to smooth out better. Just my 2 cents, I have to agree I hate drywall the dust etc, I wish I could have just had someone do it.
post #674 of 681 Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

I'm no expert when it comes to drywall I did it for a short period of time when I was younger and my friends say my results are really good. What I found was mixing your mud is so much better I used fast set in the theater. In 45 minutes it was rock hard plus it seems to smooth out better. Just my 2 cents, I have to agree I hate drywall the dust etc, I wish I could have just had someone do it.

I left all of the finished areas to a pro.... I did the theater because it was all covered with wood and fabric.
post #675 of 681 Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Your area turned out just beautiful. The wood stain and color of the room makes for a wonderful match. Just looking at your bar area has kicked me in the arse to get my cabinet area started. Love the use of the black tile on the bar with the stain combo.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #676 of 681 Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow.... 2 1/2 years since I posted anything in this thread. Well, I finally got around to making poster boxes for outside the theater. Here's a progress pic....

The thread is here
post #677 of 681 Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the boxes done.... will get 'em up on the wall over the weekend. Turned out great IMO!

post #678 of 681 Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some finished pics.... When I change out the posters, I might add a piece along the bottom to make the inside look a bit more polished.... With the 27x40 posters, there's a small gap on the bottom and top vs what I'll have with the 41 inchers. I have an idea what to do. Also, both posters are curling on the bottom. I didn't roll them backwards long enough, or leave them lay flat long enough to get the "memory" out of them..... was too excited to get them on the wall!!!

Here's a pic from inside the theater looking out at the boxes on the wall.

post #679 of 681 Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks great. Are those the double sided posters or single sided?
post #680 of 681 Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Looks great. Are those the double sided posters or single sided?

Double sided, look awesome! Pictures don't do it justice. I can't imagine single sided working that well. Even though I have 48 feet of rope light in each box, they aren't that bright. So single sided would be even worse.
post #681 of 681 Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Over 2 years off from this thread and any updates to the theater.... FINALLY ordered a new projector after 7-8 years of use on my Panny AE900. I'm closing in on 5,000 hours (eek.gif) on the original bulb so it has exceeded expectations. Time for retirement.

Just got off the phone with Craig from AVS and placed an order for a JVC-RS4910. Now I just need to wait on shipping....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page