post #3331 of 4397 Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Steve, I'll be pinging you as I move on the star ceiling. I think I would have to do multiple panels and need to deal with the cans. Was thinking of doing it such that it looks like a window with stained crown and wood sections like a window pane, similar to yours. I saw that LED source and was curious how it worked. That's the way to go, huh?

Bud

Yes, that LED source is great with lots of flexibility, silent operation and NO heat issues. Hopefully Ronnie Jackson will be doing his soon so we'll have another review for that unit.

Ping away with you are ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4397 Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Rowlander - don't be daunted. Dive in and try some stuff.

I absolutely agree with this, its not rocket science, think about the guys you hire to do this work! Here is my philosophy on this (really my father in laws, but I believe!).... Half the battle is having the right tools to make it simple, the other part is a little know how and common sense. When you need a tool, buy it! This way you have it for the next time you need it. If its too expensive or if its a one time only tool, you can always rent. The good news in most cases is that if you screw something up, you can always redo it since its materials only (you supply the labor) and it would still be cheaper than hiring someone. Plus, if you screw up, at least you learned what not to do next time!

Oh, and nice treehouse!

Bud
post #3333 of 4397 Old 08-17-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Bud,

The picture on the right looks a little high

FIXED!

Bud
post #3334 of 4397 Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:

FIXED!

Bud

I dunno, I just went back and looked at the picture again, and I swear it still looks too high!
post #3335 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajin View Post

I dunno, I just went back and looked at the picture again, and I swear it still looks too high!

LOL... wise guy!

Bud
post #3336 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I caulked the shed today in preparation for painting. I had bought two tubes of caulk. I used the first tube on the shed and had to open the second for the door. One slight problem though. When I grabbed the second tube, I grabbed the wrong one on my workbench. I ended up grabbing the one that was white pure silicon, which is not paintable. It dried in no time flat and I didn't realize it until I went back to smooth out the bead! So I ended up pulling it all off, cutting my finger in the process. Took like an hour. What a pain in the butt. It's drying now (including the new door caulk) and I'll probably do a first coat of paint in the morning.

Bud
post #3337 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey China, Im just about at that point now also. What kind of caulk should I buy to seal up the botom area under the sheetrock near the floor and such?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #3338 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I took a quick look at your thread. Besides insulation, did you do any soundproofing techniques? Is it a concern? The reason I ask is if your not concerned about sound leakage, I wouldn't even bother. Looks like they did a decent job. If you are, there is acoustical caulk out there, although you'd want to caulk in a bunch of places, not just the where the wall and floor meet. Since I wasn't too concerned with leakage myself, I didn't caulk the area where the wall met the floor. I'm sure others that do more in the soundproofing area will chime in.

Looking good, BTW.

Bud
post #3339 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You've pretty much covered it. If you're soundproofing then you caulk EVERYTHING. If you don't the smallest hole will leak sound like a sieve. I'm not kidding. It was surprising how much sound got out a small hole I cut in my wall for a speaker cable until I plugged it.

Mike

PS. Bud, sorry about the caulk mishap, those kinds of things happen to me ALL the time. I have total empathy for you
post #3340 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, thanks Mike. You live and you learn....

Bud
post #3341 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Rowlander - don't be daunted. Dive in and try some stuff. I think you'll be surprised by what you can accomplish. I had barely ever driven a nail before my first room. Watching the guys build that one gave me the confidence to try to do more on the second room and then almost all of it on the third. Now I've built a tree house for the kids:

(haven't quite finished the roof yet)

and done lots of other little projects around the house that I never would have thought I could do.

I don't think my craftmanship would stand the scrutiny that Bud's and some other guys out here would but if I can do this stuff then just about anyone can. Go for it. (and go for the 2.35 too ).

LOL

That's not the word's famous Empire cinema at London.

However this one is!!

Seems like you guys need some real inspiration of what a cinema looks like!
post #3342 of 4397 Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Here's my first cut at the stage and proscenium. I'm still figuring out dimensions, colors and all that stuff. The top picture is a look from above. I want to have a curved stage, probably with one step. It's a pretty simple design. It shows a sub on both sides, but I'll probably will go with only one. I'll probably tweak it and add the dimensions over the next week or so.

All comments, suggestions and criticism welcome!

Bud

EDIT: I adjusted the bottom drawing since it looked compressed and broke the one drawing into two.
EDIT 2: Gary's recommendation.

WRONG! That is not how loudspeakers are positioned in home cinema! You've been reading too much trash in the magazines.

Loudspeakers are positioned with matching sets for LCR and they should be positioned about 2/3 screen height, why can't anyone do it RIGHT! Sorry mate you need to start over again.

Good marks for the rest of the design too bad about the screen speakers, and I've heard all the excesses by lots of people on so many sites.
post #3343 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JBLsound4645,

This diagram was for illustration/design purposes for the screen wall and stage, not necessary absolute speaker position. In fact, I was thinking of different colors for the proscenium. Grey was one of the options before I went all black.

For actual location, I read here on AVS that the tweeter needs to be at ear level (might have been Dennis or perceived to be Dennis). Sorry, no mags! In my case, it's about a 1/3 of the screen height. Thats what I did right or wrong. Also, I didn't use an AT screen so I had to make a compromise and put the center channel below. Many of the folks here without AT prefer above the screen, but I had no room to do so. I think if I had not been further along at the time, I would had gone SmX and that would helped. It would be helpful if you had a link to the information about your speaker location position so that others might learn from it.

Most rooms have some compromise. My room isn't as big as I would have liked. You have to make trade-offs based on what's more important to you. In my case, it's not just height, but closeness to the wall since I wanted a larger screen. I'm actually very happy the sound of my room. Could it be better? Probably. Could raising the speakers some help? Maybe. I do have the flexibility to move them higher behind the panels, so maybe I'll see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the post.

EDIT on 08/12/08: Adding his construction thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995892) as a "reference" a year after I discovered it.

Bud
post #3344 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think Mark might have suggested this, didn't get chance to check. I've started an index of areas of interest in this thread for my installs, techniques, products, etc. I updated the first post to include this. I've only scratched the surface here, but if you have specific stuff you deem is worthy in this thread and think it needs an entry in the first post, let me know.

Also, before, when linking to a specific post in a thread, you'd get a new window and that post would scroll to the top of the window. You'd still have all the other posts surrounding it. Seems now that you only get than one post, which is problematic since there are discussions surrounding that post. I guess that happened with the new changes this weekend.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post5760667

I also noticed as I went through the thread that some photos were missing, not sure why, but I'll try and fix those.

Bud
post #3345 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bud the mylar box looks great......agree with steve that right poster still looks a little high

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #3346 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think Mark might have suggested this, didn't get chance to check. I've started an index of areas of interest in this thread for my installs, techniques, products, etc...

That is awesome that you are doing this. I would love to see others with the large reference threads do the same. Although I imagine it to be a fair amount of work, it will save others a ton of search time though.

As far as the links taking you to a single post and losing the context, I just found a couple of work arounds. On the far right of the "View Single Post" title bar there is a link to the Thread... this link takes you to the post with all the surrounding context.

If you wanted to take the time, it looks like you could change all of your links ending in p=POSTNUMBER&postcount=COUNT to p=POSTNUMBER#postPOSTNUMBER.

post #3347 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aaron,

Cool thanks. I'll update all my links. I had posted a question to David Bott before on the subject to see if there was a way to override, was waiting on a response. I'll give your method a try.

Bud
post #3348 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aaron, did you try this since the upgrade? Doesn't seem to work for me. Here's what I'm doing:

Here is how it's now implemented:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=666

Here is how the old way worked (granted this is the archive forum):
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post7285060

So if I use this old convention, for the upper post, I get:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&&#post6946796

which gives me one post still.

Based on your post, I tried:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...96#post6946796

and it still comes back with a single post (also say Single Post in the title of the new window!)

Did I miss something?

Bud
post #3349 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3350 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did I miss something?

Looks like I did. Change the showpost to showthread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...96#post6946796

post #3351 of 4397 Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah, that's the ticket. Thanks. I went back and changed the initial links.

Bud
post #3352 of 4397 Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Bud the mylar box looks great......agree with steve that right poster still looks a little high

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark! I think it may be time to pull that picture ...

Bud
post #3353 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys... made some decent progress in the index to this thread. Still got a lot of work to do (especially on the product side), but wanted to make sure what I did was useful. I think it is for people looking for something quick that might not know what something is called or is a search newbie. Please take a look at the first thread, scroll down to the index and let me know what you think:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post5760667

Bud
post #3354 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 AM

Bud,

Your thread is one the most viewed at my home and that is a HUGE help in finding information on your build. Well done.

John
post #3355 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

John, thanks. Any suggestions on the format or anything? I've trying to group links where I can even though the actually work may be across multiple pages. Does that work?

Bud
post #3356 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

WRONG! That is not how loudspeakers are positioned in home cinema! You’ve been reading too much trash in the magazines.

Loudspeakers are positioned with matching sets for LCR and they should be positioned about 2/3 screen height, why can’t anyone do it RIGHT! Sorry mate you need to start over again.

Good marks for the rest of the design too bad about the screen speakers, and I’ve heard all the excesses by lots of people on so many sites.

That is pleasant. Bud, I commend you on your diplomacy. You thread is one of the most useful on this forum...even if your speaker placement is an utter disaster. The links at the beginning of your thread is a great idea. It will be a very useful tool for the newbies.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #3357 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Bud -

That index is great. I'd suggest moving it to a separate post e.g. Post #3 (Chirpie quotes it entirely in post#4 anyways), then add a direct link to the "thread index" as a second line to your sig. Between your index and Ruben organizing his thread onto his forum, a lot of good stuff is easy to find newbies or long-time readers alike.
post #3358 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

I was planning to do the same thing with my thread once everything was completed. Good job. I'll be borrowing a few ideas from yours
post #3359 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

That is pleasant. Bud, I commend you on your diplomacy. You thread is one of the most useful on this forum...even if your speaker placement is an utter disaster. The links at the beginning of your thread is a great idea. It will be a very useful tool for the newbies.

Thanks man. I'm all for opposing positions done tactfully and with some sort of meat on the bone .... would be nice to have had some information besides a flame. Thats me. I'm here to learn from others as well.

Bud
post #3360 of 4397 Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Bud -

That index is great. I'd suggest moving it to a separate post e.g. Post #3 (Chirpie quotes it entirely in post#4 anyways), then add a direct link to the "thread index" as a second line to your sig. Between your index and Ruben organizing his thread onto his forum, a lot of good stuff is easy to find newbies or long-time readers alike.

Dave, I know where you're going and I'll take a look at this more closely. I was trying to take the word "INDEX" in the first post and make that an anchor take so I could link directly in the middle of the post, but my first cut at it failed miserably. Anyone how I can add an anchor tag?

I didn't think of the sig link, good idea.

Bud
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page