Blazing Ridge Cinema construction has begun! - Page 147 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4381 of 4397 Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For those folks keeping track, I FINALLY got the house closed on Monday after several delays. Done deal. Big sigh.

Dave, to answer your question, here are my comments:

I think the theater had a big impact on the sale of the house. Granted, its a great house on great lot to start with, but the theater and the basement was the icing on the cake. The fact that I left all the equipment and the seats was a selling point - it was a complete theater - turnkey and I think that really helps with the sale. I did not ask for additional funding for the equipment - after all it's now 3-4 years old. If I had pulled the equipment, then it would have been a pain for them to figure out the wiring and somewhat of a chore to get things up and running for them. I took the safe route in this market and I think the theater had a huge impact on moving the house quickly. After all, in the ATL market, which is horrible at this point, the house was on the market for 52 days. It was also one of the highest selling house in the subdivision in recent years (1800 homes in the subdivision - but different price points AND these people that purchased the house were already residents of the subdivision). Overall, i think it was a combination of factors that sold the house - but when I decided to actually build that house on that lot, I always had in mind resale and I knew it was going to go quickly. The theater was certainly a factor.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4397 Old 11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Good stuff Bud and congrats on closing. Its nice to move forward with life.

Based on my sale, if nothing else it made it go faster in a tough market. I think I was 32 days on market. When I checked a year later, some of my competing units were still on the market.

Good luck clearing the list of other priorities. I have been stuck in that limbo for ah, 3 years now. But I'll get there.
post #4383 of 4397 Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you AVSers. May there be many electronic goodies in your near future!

Bud
post #4384 of 4397 Old 12-25-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

have a merry christmas Bud. congratulations on the sale of the house!
post #4385 of 4397 Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Bud: Did you drywall over your windows. I saw you were considering it but didn't see if you had. Wondered what your wall assembly at the window was like and if you had any issues. I'm in the same climate (Nashville)
post #4386 of 4397 Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Bud: Did you drywall over your windows. I saw you were considering it but didn't see if you had. Wondered what your wall assembly at the window was like and if you had any issues. I'm in the same climate (Nashville)

Here's where I start with painting the drywall and shortly after that I do the install. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post6602647

No issues really, the question is whether you want to do something permanant or something more like a plug that can be more easily removed if required. I wasn't sure how it would go over once I tried to sell the house, if the inspector would have an issue with it or not. Just in case I took a bunch of measurements in case I had to cut back through the fabric and open it up. Honestly though, the inspector probably had no clue that the windows were there though.

Bud
post #4387 of 4397 Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks. Looks a lot like what I planned. I'm dealing with a 2x4 wall inside a 2x6 exterior wall so I have some more depth to work with. Anyway, mine would be what I'd call semi-permanent. I was going to do plugs but for all the trouble I've about decided it won't be worth it since I won't be removing them for any reason other than a catastrophic event (e.g. broken window).

The "easy button" is to simply add some furring strips to the window perimeter (jamb) of the wall-in-wall where I had the windows left open when I drywalled. Add 2 layers of drywall to plug the holes. Attach layer 1 with a few screws to hold in place. Then caulk layer 1 with acoustic caulk, and when it sets remove the screws. Add the second layer of drwywall and screw it in. New mud the crack but don't tape. The mud should "grow" a hairline crack where the joint isn't taped. I'd make an effort to not mud the screws. This way, I get a flat joint, same material as a wall, a hairline indicator of where the thing really is in case I (or a future owner) wants to remove it. All one would have to do is remove screws, maybe hit the perimeter with a MultiMaster vibrating cutter, pull the drywall out, voila, ready to case and trim.

Maybe skip the mud altogether and just cauld with acoustic sealant.

Just fretting about what to put behind the drywall. Thinking I'll have window, then a blind or something to make Mrs. happy, then insulation, then vapor barrier (or not), then drywall.

Thanks,
Scott
post #4388 of 4397 Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Just fretting about what to put behind the drywall. Thinking I'll have window, then a blind or something to make Mrs. happy, then insulation, then vapor barrier (or not), then drywall.

Several people have done the blind thing, I went with the painted drywall. One day I was outside working in the side yard and I was foolishly trying to look in the window, forgetting completely that it was the window I covered. It just looks like its a dark room or the window is tinted, you just can't see anything. Looks fine from the outside.

Bud
post #4389 of 4397 Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Mold needs three things to grow - air, moisture and a food source. Take any one of these away and mold cannot grow. If I could proffer an opinion - close it off with materials that are not a food source - such as closing off the window with concrete board and not drywall. If you are to use drywall, use the fiberglass-faced drywall called DensArmour plus which has no paper. Seal the gaps with a high-quality exterior grade antimicrobial caulking, insulate and apply a vapor barrier. Seal the vapor barrier edges with a permanently pliable acoustic sealant. Now you have not offered any food source, have stopped air movement, and have tried to effectively keep the dew point (difference between interior and exterior temperatures with relative humidity) on the outside of the wall.

Or you could take one of two completely different approaches. 1. A nice dedicated home theater / media room is something that adds a lot of resale value to a home, especially if done well. So there is little chance of someone buying a home to convert the space back to a "normal" room unless they really, really needed to. So from this perspective why not just permanently close up the window and reside/brick the exterior as if the window never existed? 2. The other alternative would be to keep the window and install a motorized blackout shade. You could even have a secondary shade made with fabric that could mimic your acoustic treatment colors. Not the most ideal for sound control, but as someone else pointed out, it could be a readily available second point of egress.

Just my .02.
post #4390 of 4397 Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Mold needs three things to grow - air, moisture and a food source. Take any one of these away and mold cannot grow. If I could proffer an opinion - close it off with materials that are not a food source - such as closing off the window with concrete board and not drywall. If you are to use drywall, use the fiberglass-faced drywall called DensArmour plus which has no paper. Seal the gaps with a high-quality exterior grade caulking, insulate and apply a vapor barrier. Seal the vapor barrier edges with a permanently pliable acoustic sealant. Not you have not offered any food source, have stopped air movement, and have tried to effectively keep the dew point (difference between interior and exterior temperatures with relative humidity) on the outside of the wall.

An excellent recommendation.

Quote:

Or you could take one of two completely different approaches. 1. A nice dedicated home theater / media room is something that adds a lot of resale value to a home, especially if done well. So there is little chance of someone buying a home to convert the space back to a "normal" room unless they really, really needed to. So from this perspective why not just permanently close up the window and reside/brick the exterior as if the window never existed? 2. The other alternative would be to keep the window and install a motorized blackout shade. You could even have a secondary shade made with fabric that could mimic your acoustic treatment colors. Not the most ideal for sound control, but as someone else pointed out, it could be a readily available second point of egress.

Just my .02.

Not sure it adds lots of resale value - most realtors will tell you its just finished space. It does help sell the house, IMO, if done well and you get the right buyer. I think it played into the sale of my home, but not entirely.

Bud
post #4391 of 4397 Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 236
OK, maybe not a lot of resale value, but value for sure.

To help sell the value of the theater to those who may not be familiar with its benefits and how enjoyable a family / entertainment activity a home theater could be, I programmed a special "demo" button on my AMX control system with a laminated note taped to the door, inviting people to come in, press the one button labeled "demo" and sit back to enjoy the 4 minute 37 second demo of the system.

The feedback I received from all but 7 people (out of 62) that viewed my home before it sold was extremely positive and specifically mentioned the theater. Let's face it, most people have a TV area in the basement, this is just an extreme TV area! One other point of note - I specifically mentioned that the equipment and seating was not part of the sale but could be negotiable. As it turned out, the couple I sold the home to purchased all of the equipment at my fair market value asking price and just viewed it as getting "free" installation, setup and programming. And when we were leaving the house, my wife and I left them a nice gift basket of some wine, 3 DVDs, some microwave popcorn and a few movie-theater sized boxes of candy. We received a thank you card the next week saying that they ended up staying up until 3AM their first night in the house watching all three DVDs because they enjoyed it so much and this was from a couple who had never seen a front projection setup in a residential setting. I've even gotten a few calls from the guy in recent years asking about different upgrade paths for certain equipment, so it has been a nice connection. Ironically, I still haven't made it a point to go back and see it even though he has offered...although being 600 miles away from this house hasn't helped!
post #4392 of 4397 Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, maybe not a lot of resale value, but value for sure.

To help sell the value of the theater to those who may not be familiar with its benefits and how enjoyable a family / entertainment activity a home theater could be, I programmed a special "demo" button on my AMX control system with a laminated note taped to the door, inviting people to come in, press the one button labeled "demo" and sit back to enjoy the 4 minute 37 second demo of the system.

The feedback I received from all but 7 people (out of 62) that viewed my home before it sold was extremely positive and specifically mentioned the theater. Let's face it, most people have a TV area in the basement, this is just an extreme TV area! One other point of note - I specifically mentioned that the equipment and seating was not part of the sale but could be negotiable. As it turned out, the couple I sold the home to purchased all of the equipment at my fair market value asking price and just viewed it as getting "free" installation, setup and programming. And when we were leaving the house, my wife and I left them a nice gift basket of some wine, 3 DVDs, some microwave popcorn and a few movie-theater sized boxes of candy. We received a thank you card the next week saying that they ended up staying up until 3AM their first night in the house watching all three DVDs because they enjoyed it so much and this was from a couple who had never seen a front projection setup in a residential setting. I've even gotten a few calls from the guy in recent years asking about different upgrade paths for certain equipment, so it has been a nice connection. Ironically, I still haven't made it a point to go back and see it even though he has offered...although being 600 miles away from this house hasn't helped!

Just saw this. Excellent plan. I think if done right (like you) that buyers wanted a turn key theater room that this puts it over the top and can really influence the sale.

Bud
post #4393 of 4397 Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just realized we're coming up on a year of selling the house and I still don't have the new theater built. Slow progress. I hope the new folks are enjoying that theater!

Bud
post #4394 of 4397 Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WOW. This thread hit a MILLION views just recently. Just noticed it. Still amazed it was so popular. And now I don't even have a theater (yet). Figures!

Bud
post #4395 of 4397 Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Congrats on 1,000,000 views. Here's a bump smile.gif for a few more. Lol

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4396 of 4397 Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Here's the plumbing under the bar with the studor vent:

And the dishwasher/faucet installed:

Bud

Are you still happy you went with the studor vent?
post #4397 of 4397 Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We moved a couple of years ago, but it worked like a champ. No issues.

Bud
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page