Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4397 Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sean,

I guess with the universal mounts, they have to accommodate mutiple machines obviously, so its designed with all that flexibility in mind and that adds to the height factor. It's actually a pretty nicely designed mount and would have kept it if the right height was there. If I had kept it, the projector box would be much lower than I'd like it to be. Anyway, another problem solved.

Bud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4397 Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Looking good Bud,

Quick question - Did you expose the electrical outlet or is it hidden in the ceiling? I am trying to decide. Seems that putting it up in the ceiling - it would look nicer, but it would be hard to change the plug if one where to change projectors and it required a different power supply cord.

Jason

post #633 of 4397 Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jason,

I think you have to have it exposed, it may be a fire hazard if not. Not sure. It's there, its behind the projector attached to a stud and drywalled. It'll be covered by the projector box as well though.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #634 of 4397 Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, you have to have the outlet exposed. Even a junction box that has a blank plate on it (e.g. to splice wires together to extend a run) needs to be accessible. That doesn't mean you can't paint it or hide it in a (removable) box like Bud just mentioned..

-Tim

post #635 of 4397 Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news!

Got an email and a tracking number from Ascend, the speakers have offically been shipped. I ordered those back on Dec. 15. I think they'll be here on Monday. Also, the Carada screen should be here any day now.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #636 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Good news!

Got an email and a tracking number from Ascend, the speakers have offically been shipped. I ordered those back on Dec. 15. I think they'll be here on Monday. Also, the Carada screen should be here any day now.

Bud

Bud,

I've heard that these speakers are just unbelievable sounding for the price. Please comment on them once you get them installed!! BTW, what AMP(s) are planning to use with these speaker?

Steve

-->

-->
post #637 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,

I will post my comments when I have them up and running. I have the Yamaha RXV2600, although I only fired it up to make sure it worked. I have not attempted to even use it yet. I needed banana plugs before I could try it out. The mail just came and sure enough, they're here.

Also in the mail today from Monoprice was my DVI/HDMI cable to connect my HD STB to the Yamaha and my gender changers for the RS232 cable I ran to the projector (outside the conduit). I actually reversed the cable by mistake, so I had female to female at the projector and male to male at the other end, although I don't plan on connecting it in the near future. I only mention it to ensure people don't make the same mistake.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #638 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guess what arrived today? Looks like its time to build that screen wall.

BTW, its still in the box, the other thing is an old bedframe I'm getting rid of!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #639 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Bud,

I've heard that these speakers are just unbelievable sounding for the price. Please comment on them once you get them installed!! BTW, what AMP(s) are planning to use with these speaker?

You lucky dog you.... I can't wait until I'm in that phase. Please do let us know what you think of the Ascends. Did you order their new upgraded 340 series? (can't recall the name) If so was that why there was the delay? I am planning on the Axiom M80's which are quite a bit more, but if these can fill my 21' X 16' theater with a good SW, that could save me some serious $$$. The only thing that is really holding me back is they don't have a dipolar or quadpolar surround speaker.

Have fun!!

Jon

post #640 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jon,

They're the CMT 340 Special Editions (SEs). The just went into production this past week. They're not advertised yet on the website, just discussed in the Ascend forums. I called them directly to get my name on the list when they came out. I went with LCR only, I have inceilings for surrounds...

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #641 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Let me see Bud -

- projector? check
- receiver? check
- speakers? check
- screen? check
- subwoofer? check

Anyone here want to make a wager that progress is going to slow?

Ben
post #642 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Funny guy! And where might you be on your build, Mr. Harper? Oh, thought so!

Got plenty to do still and will keep pluggin.... plan on taking some time off towards the end of the month to do at least my tile work. Got a theater, need a restroom...

EDIT: Oh.. and looking forward to breaking out the framing nailer and starting your space!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #643 of 4397 Old 01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looking good Bud. I myself finally made it to the Fabric point. I spent nearly 2 weeks farting around with color Samples of Stains, but now that's out of the way, the fabric seems to be moving along.

You got so many pages in your thread that I don't know if you ordered your GoM yet. But if you didn't, make sure you get all you need at the Same time. I ordered a second Roll of Black from the same Place a couple months later and it was a Slightly different Black and different Weave. Good thing it's not going to butt up against the first black GoM I got.

Ruben

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

post #644 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

Thanks. I have not ordered GOM yet. Plan to do so shortly, but thanks for the tip. Good timing on your GOM, I'll be watching for tips and techniques from your end. Did you order through fabricmate?

Lots of pages here, I changed the number of posts per page to 60, so that certainly helps.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #645 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Hey Bud,
Great job on the theatre so far.. I took the entire day yesterday to view your entire thread from start to end.. and i was amazed at all the work you have put into it .. Like you i too am in the Atlanta area, Powder Springs, Ga. to be exact. At this very moment we are in the process of building our Home in a subdivision in which there is a basement that i intend to do something similar. Part of it will be a dedicated HT, no windows in the design.. and the other half will be a gym / play area for my wife and boys. Estimated time to move in is middle to late Feb 06. I cant wait to get settled in so that i can start my construction of my HT. Please keep up the good work because between you and Sandman I have learned a ton.. take care and thanks for posting such an awsome thread!!!!

Max

Let a Nation of Black & Gold rise up.
Go forth and proclaim "YOUR IN STEELERS COUNTRY!!"
Go Steelers!!!

post #646 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Max,

Thanks. Welcome to the forum and thread. LOL, an entire day? Pretty funny. Good luck with the new house, February is almost upon us. I hear Powder Springs is booming. Is the new house on Powder Springs also?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #647 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome!!! Almost there...

gary
post #648 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
keep up the great work Bud. Your thread is a wealth of knowledge.

post #649 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Max, Bud, Jason and all other north Atlanta HT geeks

We are literally within a few miles of each other. Need to plan a gathering soon otherwise we are just slackers!

Hurry up and finish Bud so we can trash your place first!

Ben
post #650 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ben,

I think Jason plans on coming by Tuesday night when the Ascends arrive, you're welcome to come by as well. I should have the frame together and maybe even the screen wall done.

Max, and as Ben puts it, you "north Atlanta HT geeks", you guys are welcome as well!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #651 of 4397 Old 01-13-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gary and Larry,

Thanks guys! Keep up the work yourselves. I'll be watching!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #652 of 4397 Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harper View Post

Max, Bud, Jason and all other north Atlanta HT geeks

We are literally within a few miles of each other. Need to plan a gathering soon otherwise we are just slackers!

Hurry up and finish Bud so we can trash your place first!

Ben

North Atlanta Home Theater Geek Present!!
post #653 of 4397 Old 01-14-2006, 09:58 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Ruben,

Thanks. I have not ordered GOM yet. Plan to do so shortly, but thanks for the tip. Good timing on your GOM, I'll be watching for tips and techniques from your end. Did you order through fabricmate?

Lots of pages here, I changed the number of posts per page to 60, so that certainly helps.

Bud

I ordered through Fabricmate as well. Its funny, because they said they are following my thread as well. They were bugging out when they found out I was SandmanX from AVS

They recently Raised their prices to $12.50 a yard as well. Not the end of the world but its a few bucks more now. Also, they have super fast delivery, and black seems to be the hardest to get because its always out of stock. I think they just got some more black back in at GoM.

Ruben

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

post #654 of 4397 Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 AM

Tuesday sounds good Bud. I can bring a few PJs (Z3, Z4, and HX1) if you want to do a quick comparison.

Ben
post #655 of 4397 Old 01-15-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's fine, although now that I've got the AE900, not sure I would want to be tempted by something else!! We can do it around 7:00 if thats OK. I can order some pizza and I'll pick up some beer. Jason, that ok with you?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #656 of 4397 Old 01-15-2006, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished three doors yesterday that will be painted yesterday. This includes the door to the mechanical room/workshop, closet by the bar and the bathroom. Did all the casing as well. I also did the molding around the entrance into the gameroom. The three other doors for the HT room are solid pine, which I'll stain when I get there. I do not plan on install these doors until after I get all the painting done inside (ceiling, concession area) and out of the HT room. I do not want to get any paint or primer on the doors. I need to do the base and crown before I can paint as well. I'll be ordering the base and crown through my neighbor the builder (paint grade stuff) so it'll get delivered and I won't have to deal with hauling 16 pieces of trim on top of the truck.

I also picked up some nice 2x4s for the screen wall. Today I will pull the screen frame out of the box and put it together. With the Criterion Series, the black trim is much bigger, so I may have go to back to a 100" screen from the 104". I need all the room I can get on the sides for the proscenium.

Here are a few picks of yesterdays work:

Also, my in-laws will be here on Friday for about two weeks, which means I'll need to do the tile work in the bathroom pretty soon we can make final connections for the bathroom plumbing. I may end up taking a day or two to wrap that up in the next week or so.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #657 of 4397 Old 01-15-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Looking REAL good. I can't wait to see those Pine doors. Do you plan to keep them natural color or stain them somthing darker?

I feel like I'm standing still on my HT compared to yours. Note to self -- "Must move faster, must move faster!

Steve

-->

-->
post #658 of 4397 Old 01-15-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Thanks. I plan on staining them a darker color. I also plan on building a few lightboxes and staining those, the crown, base, the hand railing up the steps. I'd like to match or compliment the color the cabinets in the concession area and bar.

You're doing great and I assume you'll pass me in no time!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #659 of 4397 Old 01-16-2006, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Bud and Ben -

Tuesday night sounds great. Got in late from Savannah last night so I have been catching up on the progress. I'll bring the beers - just tell me what kind you guys like.

Ben - Looking forward to meeting you. I hear a rumor that you are starting/or have started a business selling HT equiptment, screens, and other HT stuff and have great prices to quote a reliable source. Looking forward to discussing that with you as well!

Jason

post #660 of 4397 Old 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ben and Jason,

Will one of you guys bring a HDMI cable with you tomorrow? I need to test the S97 to the 2600 and the cable that Panasonic provides may be the cause of the problem I'm having. I don't have an extra. Thanks.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page