Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Been playing around with the IR stuff some this week, have had a time getting a bug out of the system. I've exchanged emails and phone calls with Larry Beach from Buffalo Electronics. I would post pictures on Fotki (where I post my photos to reference to here) and send Larry the links. Usually 5 minutes after sending my email, I get a phone call from Larry. He's a good guy. Anyway, I have one more thing I need to try today to resolve my issue. I can get my CD player to work remotely, but having my old receiver is not working remotely. We think it has to do with the frequency Kenwood uses. Once thats resolved, I can close up the wall in the bathroom (where the remote shares the wall with the bar, no I don't have a remote-controlled toilet or anything). I have a guy coming out on Saturday to give me an estimate on mudding and IF I use this guy, I want him to do as much as possible, which means getting the outstanding drywall done (not much left though). I plan on completing the soffits in the gameroom and bar area this weekend and possibly the ceiling in the storage room.

Baseball practice starts this weekend for my son, so I'm glad I've gotten as far along as I did, I think things will start to slow down some.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

If I had the room, I'd do columns and there would be no issue. Trying to maximize the space with seats and because of the position of the front row, the column would be where the door is. I just don't like the look of speakers mounted on the wall, personal preference. I think in-walls and ceilings have come a long way.

Bud

from your layout a few posts above, it looks like there might be a spot for in-walls for the sides right where the riser starts. to the right of the entrance and to the left of the back window.
post #183 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rich,

Thanks for the post. If you were referring to the diagram, that window is not exactly in the correct position in the diagram. Its more left than shown. So if you were to put a side surround there, the only place to put the opposite surround is above the door. I think if I had to go above the door, I might as well use the in-ceilings that pivot. With the soffit, there's only about 8 -10 inches in height to play with (due to framing, door trim, crown). To get that surround by the entrance to be at the same distance form the front of the room, I'd have have to move it forward in front of the door at about 8-9 feet and move the seats forward a few feet (and probably shrink the screen down some since it'll be closer).
post #184 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I was able to get my IR stuff working. I need to play with it some more, I only have on receiver hooked up now, but I'm pretty sure I got it resolved. Need to send Larry an email.

Bud
post #185 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Are you going with In-Wall Speakers for your HT? If so, what type?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #186 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Bud,

Are you going with In-Wall Speakers for your HT? If so, what type?

~Josh

Beatboy77, see the quote below.

Quote:

I thought I'd move this here instead of Jerrod's thread, particularly about the Ascend speakers I'll be going with. What I posted orginally over there:

I'm going with the Ascend 340s in the front. I haven't bought them yet. Because my side surrounds are in a weird location (above the door) and the fact that I didn't want columns, I'm putting in in-ceilings for the side surrounds. I just decided to match the rear surrounds as well, instead of going with in-walls or on-walls. I did a little investigation (including talking to Ascend) and Ascend recommends the S622TRs to match the Ascends. I ordered two pair last week from two different companies and one arrived today. They'll fit perfectly where I need them in the side soffit. Also, the in-ceilings that I put in the bar/gameroom are Hometech, which apparently are also made by Sonance. Anyway, they're pretty reasonable for surrounds. I plan on getting the Ascends in the not so distant future, when I have the cash. In the meantime I'll start building my proscenium and stage using the Ascend dimensions published in mind and adding some for flexibility or change of mind later.

Here's the Sonance site

Bud

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #187 of 4397 Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Craig, you're quick!

Josh, only for the surrounds. See the links in the other post for links. The Ascends can be found at the Ascend Acoustics site.

Bud
post #188 of 4397 Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a mud estimate today. He wanted 2300.00 (then he came down to 2150.00) for mudding the basement and only the ceiling in the HT room. He said I saved about 700.00 doing drywall myself, but mud would cost more than I thought because I used 8 foot sheets instead of 12 foot which requires additional labor for the extra seams. He also said that if I had them do the whole basement, including the drywall it would have cost about 3800.00. That close to what my neighbor paid. His number included mud, corner beads sanding and cleanup. I may get another estimate, but looks like I'll be doing it myself. Wouldn't be the first time. Granted if I had the cash on hand, I still would have probably done it myself. I figure I'll save another 1800.00 by doing it myself. It may take a month or more, but hey, I've got time. I'll have to post a picture of me on my stilts!

Bud
post #189 of 4397 Old 08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That quote definitely seems on the high side... Doesn't make any sense to have the drywall hanging 1/2 the price of the mud job... It would have cost a lot more than $700 more if he did it. Since it's already done, he raised the price for the mud only, is my guess.
post #190 of 4397 Old 08-20-2005, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The mudding part is the nasty part by far, not the actual mudding but the sanding, mudding, sanding final coat mudding, sanding ARRRRGGhhhh but I thought you were going GOM , why not just Fire tape and save about $1200?
post #191 of 4397 Old 08-21-2005, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I am going with GOM, that cost only included the ceiling in the HT room! The rest is the gameroom/ bathroom/ bar area/ concession/equipment area and the and a small area at the bottom of the stairs. I guess they go by the number of boards, which he estimates is 80, which is almost right and may be actually low.

Tim,

I think the other piece that adds in there is a factor for all my damn soffits, since its extra outer corners. Not sure how much of a factor that would be though in the price.

Bud
post #192 of 4397 Old 08-21-2005, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the other piece that adds in there is a factor for all my damn soffits, since its extra outer corners. Not sure how much of a factor that would be though in the price.

Good point -- inside and outside corners are the most time consuming process. It still seems a bit high, though... oh well, if you're going to be doing it yourself, enjoy the savings you'll make! It's a good excuse to get slightly better equipment..
post #193 of 4397 Old 08-21-2005, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Made pretty good progress today on the soffits in the gameroom. Probably another two-three hours to finish them up. I also added the last panel in the HT room and moved two of the cans in my storage room as well as carry down the remaining drywall. I also put my saws away and cleaned up my workshop some. Next thing for me is to finish the soffits, tape and mud the interior of the equipment closet, finish the IR setup, put up concrete board around the tub and finish the drywall in the bathroom. After that, I'll be tapin' and muddin'.

Bud
post #194 of 4397 Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Looks great, I like the rack.

Ronnie
post #195 of 4397 Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ronnie,

Thanks and welcome.

Bud
post #196 of 4397 Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 AM

Bud,

I have been following your progress for awhile now. It's looking really nice.

I will be happy if mine HT comes out half as nice as yours.

William
post #197 of 4397 Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Sportrac, thanks and welcome. Although it's gone by like a blurr, it seems to be taking forever. I've got a ways to go. Good luck with yours. Tucker is on the east side of Atlanta, out I20?

Bud
post #198 of 4397 Old 08-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Actually it is close to where 85 and 285 cross on the north side.
post #199 of 4397 Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sportrac, Got it, thats right.

All,

Well, mud has begun. I just got back upstairs from the basement and did all the seams in the HT room. Still need to do all the corners, but will get to it.

Ahhh, the fun is just starting. Pictures to follow.

Bud
post #200 of 4397 Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a few pictures of the HT room with some mud. Most of the seams have one coat, as do the butt joints. The screw heads have two coats. I used fiberglass tape on the joints. I did one seam in the equipment closet with the regular tape (mud first, then tape) and said "forget that". I'd rather have the adhesive on the mess tape and the re-enforced joints, especially on the ceilings. I plan on using this tape/metal corners for the inside and outside corners. I used the outer corner ones last time and they work pretty well. I'm going to try the inside corners this time. They come in 16 foot lengths and I did not have the right car to bring them home last time I was at HD, otherwise I would have started them too. Here is some info on these type of tape-on corner beads. I don't think these are the ones that HD carries, I don't remember the name, although USG makes one called BEADEX, so my guess is its theirs. Anyway, gives you an idea as to what I'll be using: http://www.dietrichindustries.com/pr...og_170-178.pdf

You'll notice that I have not covered the windows yet. I need a few more sheets of drywall. I actually may use green board if I have some left over from the bathroom. I also have a plan in my head for the proscenium/stage. Once I take some measurements, I'll be able to finalize my plans and finish the front soffit and the side soffits. The rear soffit I'll probably do last.

Here is the front wall:

Here is the backwall:

Here is the ceiling:

Bud
post #201 of 4397 Old 08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you and I are on the same page except I got lazy and had a friend come and save me the headache, those pros are amazing , 1 day rock 4 hours fire tape
post #202 of 4397 Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Looks like you and I are on the same page...

Mark,

Thanks, but not exactly. I'm working on a home theater, you're working on the Palace Theater in your home. Just saw your status, simply amazing. Can't wait to see yours done, forget mine!

Bud
post #203 of 4397 Old 08-27-2005, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,
Not my home, well sort of since the actual owner is never here but this is on a horse ranch my wife and I manage. After remodeling our home on the ranch the owner asked if I wanted to " tackle" his Home Theater hes been waiting years to build until he found someone as mentally sick as he was to tackle the abomination.

I am enjoying almost every second of it since I am designing on the fly with his input or shall I say " Thats sounds mental, go for it" approval.

My dedicated HT will start this winter after I am done "practicing" on his.

We are looking like we are on the same page in progress and I hope you stay a little ahead so I can learn from you, I like the detailed progress reports like yours
post #204 of 4397 Old 08-28-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished the underneath portion of the soffits yesterday and tossed out a bunch of drywall scraps. Had some time this morning before baseball and taped some of the seams in the gameroom and bar.

I'll finish the drywall in the bathroom next Saturday and Saturday night we're doing a "Movie Under the Stars" and a barbeque here. Sunday is golf and a night out with the boys, Labor Day, more mud and tape.

Guess I better fix the date on that camera, as well!!!

Bud
post #205 of 4397 Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Nice. You are coming along nicely Keep going.
post #206 of 4397 Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Bud,
Not my home, well sort of since the actual owner is never here but this is on a horse ranch my wife and I manage. After remodeling our home on the ranch the owner asked if I wanted to " tackle" his Home Theater hes been waiting years to build until he found someone as mentally sick as he was to tackle the abomination.

I am enjoying almost every second of it since I am designing on the fly with his input or shall I say " Thats sounds mental, go for it" approval.

My dedicated HT will start this winter after I am done "practicing" on his.

We are looking like we are on the same page in progress and I hope you stay a little ahead so I can learn from you, I like the detailed progress reports like yours

Geez, well I guess this is great way to practice in preparation for your own HT. Pretty cool, I hope he's paying you for it!

Bud
post #207 of 4397 Old 08-31-2005, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Saturday night we're doing a BBQ and having a movie night for the neighborhood. I'll spend Saturday afternoon setting things up and will take pictures. I'll post a few here.

Here are the tickets I made with the Excel ticket maker MikeWh posted in this thread. Works great!!

Enjoy your holiday!

Bud
post #208 of 4397 Old 08-31-2005, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

So what's your plan for handing out the tickets? When do you give them to the guests? Also, where are you going to show the movie? Those tickets are pretty cool! I haven't noticed that program yet (though I don't have a need for it yet, either...)
post #209 of 4397 Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife made up a flyer and imported the tickets, so we're just handing out the flyers to the neighbors, includes all the relevant info, time to arrive, what to bring, etc. We did these last year. I have a screen I built out of PVC and a sheet we hang off the back deck and we take all the furniture on the deck and bring it down in the yard.

Last time we played Shrek and every time someone said "Donkey", the men had to drink. Made for an interesting evening!

Bud
post #210 of 4397 Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I love following threads like this. I'm jealous as hell; this is a beautiful project you have here!

Keep those pictures coming, I can't get enough.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page