AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
OnlyOne,

Thanks dude!

All,

Bought and installed a few inside corners today. Also picked up two more buckets of mud. I just finished one so far, believe it or not, but I have not started the ceiling yet. Seams use more than you think. The inside and outside corner tape (with metal) that I mentioned a few threads ago from HD are actually USG and are 10 feet long. They're pretty easy to install. First you need to cut them to length. You then mud the corners on both sides about two-three inches. You insert the corner and press it in place, then go over the corner with a mud knife (the inside corner one works well). This will make it adhere to the corner. You can then take a mud knife and run it along the sides to pick up all the extra mud. I then put one layer of mud on one side of the corner. When it dries enough, I'll do the other side and keep alternating until its done. Here are some pictures of the corners uninstalled (inside and out) and installed with one layer of mud.

The inside corners have smaller widths. The other corners have a lot more tape to them. If you look close, you can see the metal on the bottom pieces.

Here is one installed by the bar, with one coat of mud on the left side (and still wet). These are pretty easy to work with and give the corner some strength. I probably won't use these on the ceilings because I plan on crown everywhere. I will probably use these on the HT room ceiling since I don't plan on crown in that room.

EDIT: Here is another picture of an outside corner. The right side has been mudded. The mud looks wider on the top because I had a vertical seam there and thats been mudded as well.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 4397 Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Appreciate the behind the scenes tips Bud. Very helpful, any thing I can learn by watching. You can't imagine how surprised I was to discover that a brad nailer was smaller than a finish nailer. To my untrained ears a finish nailer sounded like the small job device. Wasted two Sundays on my living room trim project (faux wainscoating, finishing up this weekend) because I kept splitting the wood using nails that were too big.

Home-ownership is an adventure.
post #213 of 4397 Old 09-02-2005, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,

No problem. I'm sure people do things different, but these corners are great. Maybe it'll help someone else out. I have a brad nailer, wouldn't want to do trim without it. I'll start that adventure in the not so distant future. I actually enjoy the trim work (helps when you have a compound mitre, brad nailer and compressor though). Crown on the other hand is a pain in the butt, but I'll get through it in due time.

Bud
post #214 of 4397 Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
chinadog,

Question for you. I see your outlets flush with the sheetrock. if you are using GOM or some other fabric on the walls, and you put furring strips up first (guessing you would be doing this) to staple to, won't the outlets be too far behind the GOM to use? Don't the outlet boxes need to be sticking out of the wall 3/4 to 1 inch?

I know this is a far out question with many assumptions, but I thought I'd bring it up to hear what you plan to do with the GOM and the outlets.

gary
post #215 of 4397 Old 09-02-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Gary,

Actually, the boxes are the Carlton adjustable type you get at Big Orange. They were only recessed while I got the drywall up. I've adjusted most of them already in the HT room, but haven't gotten to them all. I do plan on GOM and will build boxes for around the switches to give me something to staple to.

A few pictures:

Bud
post #216 of 4397 Old 09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

"Carlton adjustable type you get at Big Orange"

Cool - that is good to know. I probably should return all the regular boxes I bought at HD.

But what is the Carlton Adj type from Big Orange? They got one of those in NJ?

Never heard of those....

Gary
post #217 of 4397 Old 09-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Gary,

I may be wrong, but I believe that "Big Orange" is a reference to HD's trademark color. I think you'll just be doing an exchange, not returning and going to another store.

Bud,

Looking good, your basement is one of my favorite threads, it's an inspiration for the day I start building a whole house with a basement all about good times. I think I need some money and land first, but I'm not sure

Good luck with your outdoor theater Saturday... Do you burn the intro Reaper helped everyone out with to a disk and use it for your outdoor theater nights? That would be cool.

Later,
Brian

I love NEW technology, it makes the stuff I can afford even cheaper.
post #218 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gary,

Brian is correct. Sorry for the confusion. Big Orange or Big Orange Box is a direct reference to Home Depot. And my apologies, they're Carlon, not Carlton. See pictures below.

Brian,

Thanks! I'm amazed by the number of people that follow it, I'm glad people are enjoying it or getting something out it. I have not burned the DVD yet, but will try it today. A few threads ago I said I canceled that laptop I bought, but then reordered it after a second hard drive crashed. I didn't have a DVD burner before, but I do now. I'll have to run to Staples and pick up some blank DVDs on the way back from Home Depot. Going to be a busy day setting up.

Carlon boxes:

Info on the Carlon site and the sites main page

Bud
post #219 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Do you know how you going to GOM your recessed Can lights yet? Are you using a track system or just using shims with valances?
post #220 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I'll probably build frames out of 1/2 inch plywood (two pieces together). I'll make a square, then cut out a circle and secure. At least thats what I'm thinking at this point.

Bud
post #221 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 11:03 AM

For tonights show, you could always run the whole thing from the laptop instead of a DVD player, then you wouldn't have to burn the disk.

Enjoy your movie night,
Brian

post #222 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

great info chinadog. I am in the proces of building my basement. I framed all of the basement except the theater. starting on that now.
post #223 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Brian / Bud - got it thanks. I will switch to them. I feel like such a tart. Should have got the Big Orange reference. Thanks guys...

Also - saw the post about GOM and the cans. You putting GOM on the ceiling as well (assuming thats the cans he's talking about)? I thought GOM is just for walls. Learn something every day.

Gary
post #224 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gary,

Just the soffits. Not the main ceiling. I'll be covering the soffits in linacoustic, so therefore the GOM.

Brian,

Just didn't get the opportunity to do it and forgot! I was rushing up until the last minute getting things organized and people started showing up, so I ended up just forgetting about it. You're right though, I should have done the laptop thing, did that last time.

Larry,

Thanks and good luck, Looking forward to YOUR thread!

Bud
post #225 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, we pulled it off. As I mentioned above, I was scrambling today. Did some mud in the AM including some outside soffit corners, then had to stop and cut the grass. After that, I needed to make a new screen. I was running out of time, so I ended up doing it in one inch PVC and a painters drop cloth. It worked, but I really wanted to build a wood frame. We had a full house for the first movie, but it was just my family for the second. We just wrapped up.

Here are a few pictures of this evening. The screen was 8 feet by 14 feet, but we did not fill the whole screen. I threw in Nemo to check the colors, but ended up watching what we said we would. The screen had a few wrinkles when I opened it, so I used my wifes steam cleaning thingie and for the most part, it worked well. I had two seams in the cloth, but they were not noticeable. In fact you could not see any wrinkles. I added rope light to the tent, worked out great as well.

Next time, I'll build a wooden frame and staple the cloth on, then paint it ceiling white.

Bud
post #226 of 4397 Old 09-03-2005, 10:10 PM

Bud,
Glad your evening was a success. Looks like you have a great house and yard out there. That's an impressive porch too. Too bad about the intro and stuff, but if you did everything all-out the first time then what would you do to impress everybody later. This way it builds and you will never cease to amaze your friends and family. That's how you keep 'em coming back. "What do you think he'll do this time?", always keep them guessing.

Congratulations on your theater under the stars (no fiber-optics necessary.)

Later,
Brian

post #227 of 4397 Old 09-04-2005, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Nice looking place. I gotta move south. . .
post #228 of 4397 Old 09-04-2005, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, we've been there just two years now. You do get a lot for your money. I grew up in CT, but coming to this area is like doubling your income. You still get a lot for the money, even with the prices of homes creeping up.

Bud
post #229 of 4397 Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Nice job, Bud!!

Randy

Take it outside...
BackyardTheater.com
-- photos | tips | diy info --
post #230 of 4397 Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #231 of 4397 Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Bud...

Did you project front the back side of the painters cloth, or is the projector sitting outside?! I think the picture looks really good!! Nice job!

-Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #232 of 4397 Old 09-07-2005, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sean,

Thanks. Projected on the front. The back has a support post for the deck as well as a support for the frame. The projector is sitting on a table, you can see it if you look close at the last picture. I was pretty amazed how well it looked, being so big and relative close, probably about 20 feet. I was also surprised you couldn't see the wrinkles in the screen.

Bud
post #233 of 4397 Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I did wanted to post some progress. I did some mud work over the weekend and took yesterday off to work in the basement as well. I now have the first coat on all my outside corners done on my soffits in the gameroom/bar, as well as all my interior corners (including where the wall and soffits meet). I also did a final coat on the horizontal seams, but still need one more coat on the butt joints. I still have the ceiling to do. I also did the second coat on all the butt joints in the HT room.

Coming slowly, but its coming. I'll probably hold off any additional work until the end of the week.

Bud
post #234 of 4397 Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Bud!

I know I need to swing by to check out your setup. Unfortunately have spent the last month out on the west coast. Looks like you are coming along nicely - ah the advantages of working from a "remote location!"

Got a new beamer for you to try - this one will really spoil you! Hopefully we can get together within the next few weeks.

Ben
post #235 of 4397 Old 09-08-2005, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ben,

Give me a shout, always here. Looking forward to hooking up.

Bud
post #236 of 4397 Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

regarding outside movie watching

here is a link for an inflatable
http://www.summercinema.com/
post #237 of 4397 Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Well, I did wanted to post some progress. I did some mud work over the weekend and took yesterday off to work in the basement as well. I now have the first coat on all my outside corners done on my soffits in the gameroom/bar, as well as all my interior corners (including where the wall and soffits meet). I also did a final coat on the horizontal seams, but still need one more coat on the butt joints. I still have the ceiling to do. I also did the second coat on all the butt joints in the HT room.

Coming slowly, but its coming. I'll probably hold off any additional work until the end of the week.

Bud

Bud... you are da man for tackling drywall mudding.
It's a tough skill to master.
You might think you are coming along slowly, but for the rest of us... at least for me anyway, you are moving right along. Keep it going.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #238 of 4397 Old 09-09-2005, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Larry,

Pretty cool. I've seen a variation of that, but that looks pretty nice. I bet it's not cheap.

Craig,

If I had a block of time I could probably use the fast drying mud and get it done quicker. Unfortunately, I usually only have a few hours here or there so I'll mud one side of inside corner, then do a different corner, mud a seam and use whatever mud is left on the knife to cover some screw holes. I feel like I'm bouncing around the room a lot and not getting one thing done at a time. You have to be patient with this stuff as well, if you rush it, makes a mess and thats more sanding later.

On top of the squeeze for time now, I'm considering seriously switching jobs and/or companies. I'm not sure how that'll impact my progress, but would expect that I'll have even less time. I've got some tough decisions to make.

Bud
post #239 of 4397 Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 AM

Hey Bud,

Question for you...

I was looking at your drywall hanging photos and it looks like you wired up all of your switches and outlets prior to hanging the drywall. I had always thought I'd do that after drywall -- I guess because that's the way the electricians did it when they built our house -- but now that I think about it, it seems perfectly logical to hook up what you can beforehand. Especially if you're not an electrician and you just want to make sure some things work before covering the walls!!!

But that raises a question for me. Did you cut the switch and outlet holes in place with a rotozip or something? Seems like it would be pretty easy to mess up an outlet or switch with a rotozip -- at least if I was the one doing it. Or did you do more of the measure, then cut, then hang method?

-Steve
post #240 of 4397 Old 09-09-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I know what you mean about bouncing around. It's much easier to find yourself doing that when you're finishing an enitre basement like the 2 of us are. I need to update my thread, but have been re-pulling all my coax and Cat 5, and building soffits. Nothing much in the theater though.

Looks good Bud!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page