What is the best way to connect my IR emitter to my grafik eye light switch. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Grafik Eye 2000 model and would like to connect it to my MRF300.I installed some cat 5 cable from the Grafik eye to my equipment room were the MRF300 is. Any suggestions on how to connect this, would be greatly appreciated.

Vid53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you're real handy, take the faceplate off the GE. Then, carefully disassemble the housing from the emitter. Cut a small notch to allow the wire to come up behind the GE plate without getting pinched at the perimeter. Tape/glue the emitter to the receiver on the GE. Obviously test prior to reassembly.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #3 of 14 Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
I have the 3106 and it would be nice if GE made a way of tieing in directly but then I guess you have the low voltage in the same box issue.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Xantech IR flashers. I took the plastic cover off the GE and found the diode was too big and left a bulge under the faceplate. So, being very careful, I held the diode with a pair of pliers and used a dremel with a grinding bit to shave two sides of the diode to make it skinnier. Shave parallel to the wire connections at the bottom of the diode. And be sure you don't shave too much or you will ruin the flasher. I cut the wire for the Xantech flashers long enough to reach under the GE where the Cat5 is and soldered the flasher wire to the Cat5 wire. I used clear tape to hold the wire in place on the GE under the cover next to the GE IR sensor. The wire is so thin, I didn't need to make any room for it. I think there is still a very slight bulge where the IR flasher is, but you wouldn't notice it unless you really look for it. Just take a little off the sides of the diode until it is thin enough to your liking and be careful not to take off too much.

I think someone said the Niles flashers fit better. I never got some to try.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Toxarch, you can also "shave" off a little plastic on the backside of the cover plate. That's what I did (using a utility knife) and the LED fits like a charm (no bulge). I've read that others have used the edge of a flat metal file to do the same.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 AM

Liked: 11
Can you send me a picture of the final product?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-30-2005, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The final product looks like any other GE with the cover on. Here is a picture with the cover off.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the post - I have been trying to figure out how to do this! Any possibility of showing some more close-ups as to exactly where and how to modify the GE? I hate to make an (expensive) mistake!

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Pap,

here is a picture of how I did it. I spliced the cat 5 wire and used the emitter end on the grafik eye and the plug end over by my components (or wherever your ir block is located) Make sure you use robust emitters-the 1st one I used had very flimsy wire and didn't work right.

http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater5

Good Luck!

Husker Nation is strong!

See "The Vault"
http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater.html

See the weather where I am at!

http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2005, 05:13 PM

I use a GRX-IRI unit connected to my Grafik Eye's so you don't have to have any modification to the unit and there is no ugly IR stuck on the outside of the unit.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2005, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just purchased the MX-850 remote and the MRF300 receiver and with it I got 6 emitters. As I was installing them I dropped one, and the plastic bubble cover came off, and guess what? All I had to do was take off the back cover and all that was left was a small thin piece of plastic.
So I cut off about 4 inches of the attached wire and spliced it to the cat5 wire I ran from the gang box to the equipment room.Then spliced on the rest of the wire with the plug on the end of it and plugged it into the mrf300. It works GREAT! I used a piece of double stick tape and put the plastic emitter under the black receiver.You cant even tell.No cutting or shaving down anything.I attached a picture of it.

Good luck
Vid53
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP
Thanks for the post - I have been trying to figure out how to do this! Any possibility of showing some more close-ups as to exactly where and how to modify the GE? I hate to make an (expensive) mistake!
You don't modify anything on the GE.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

The GRX-IRI is not that expensive. Is this approach just to get around using this device? http://www.lutron.com/instructions/032133a.pdf

Is cat-5 even needed in your approaches? you only need to go from the grafik eye to the rack and emmitters are made in all lengths. Is the cat-5 just to extend the emmitter signal?

gary
post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan
The GRX-IRI is not that expensive. Is this approach just to get around using this device? http://www.lutron.com/instructions/032133a.pdf

Is cat-5 even needed in your approaches? you only need to go from the grafik eye to the rack and emmitters are made in all lengths. Is the cat-5 just to extend the emmitter signal?

gary
Yes that is the GRX-IRI. I think it is only about $60, so not too bad. The other nice thing about the GRI-IRI is it lets you control each zone individually via remote along with the scenes. I thinks the only way you can conrol the Zone individually is with the GRI-IRI if I am not mistaken. To connect it to the main unit you just nee 4 conductor wire. Lutron recommends 18 gauge, but I have heard of successes with cat5 also.
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page