2Likes

post #721 of 1453 Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, that's pretty cool. It would have been great in my room where the GE essentially doubles as a wall station. I could have put it in the attic with the accessories and set a wall station into the old box. Wouldn't have even had to open the wall.

Lutron seems to have accelerated their R&D. Do you have a feel for whether there is an increase in demand for HT conversions in parallel with the demand for big TVs?

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1453 Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Te GrafikEye is still first and foremost a commercial device.... even these new iterations.

Home theater is just an excellent use of an existing product, after all a board room and a media room/HT have many similarities.

- video and/or overhead/slide projectors
- low light for presentations (or movies)
- task lighting for certain areas
- physical light control of drapes/blinds....

Oh, and the QS absolutely rules over the 3100/3500

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #723 of 1453 Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone have 35-40 feet of PELV wire that would like to sell? PM
post #724 of 1453 Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Got a question - need some advice. I own a GE 3104, and have an IR transmitter wired to the front of the unit. However, as pointed out on the first page of this thread, a bulge will show up when you try to put the cover on.

I've gone over the options in this thread, and not sure they'll work for me because my IR transmitted is slightly larger than the ones recommended. I see two options:

1) Use a dremel on my IR transmitter, try to whittle down as much as possible on it (get it close to the size of a Xantech IR transmitter)

2) Remove the small, round IR receiver plastic cover on the GE. Then, insert my transmitter in the cover hole and the hole of the IR receiver.

Can option #2 even be done? How do I remove this small piece of plastic (pliers)? Anyone done it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #725 of 1453 Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm View Post

Got a question - need some advice. I own a GE 3104, and have an IR transmitter wired to the front of the unit. However, as pointed out on the first page of this thread, a bulge will show up when you try to put the cover on.

I've gone over the options in this thread, and not sure they'll work for me because my IR transmitted is slightly larger than the ones recommended. I see two options:

1) Use a dremel on my IR transmitter, try to whittle down as much as possible on it (get it close to the size of a Xantech IR transmitter)

2) Remove the small, round IR receiver plastic cover on the GE. Then, insert my transmitter in the cover hole and the hole of the IR receiver.

Can option #2 even be done? How do I remove this small piece of plastic (pliers)? Anyone done it?

I ended up using a dremel with a VERY light cylindrical sanding accessory, and ended up grinding a small hole to the left of the IR. I didn't go all the way through the plastic. I also sanded down the IR itself, made it work.

The cover now goes on almost 100% perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #726 of 1453 Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Liked: 15
I just picked up a 6-zone QS and I'm doing all my wiring. The two "ports" in the back say "IR Data" & "IR Com". How do I hook the QS to the IR repeater?

post #727 of 1453 Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Did you read the installation instruction booklet?

post #728 of 1453 Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post

Did you read the installation instruction booklet?

Yes, it doesn't really get specific with anything dealing with IR. I think I may have figured it out, but I'd be interested in what everyone else did?

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get replacement covers for my QS. I can't only find covers for the older models.

post #729 of 1453 Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

I don't have specifics about the IR - I've never installed a QS.

For covers, call Lutron support. They're undoubtedly available. IIRC, they're about $150, depending on the finish you want.

post #730 of 1453 Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM

Jailguy, I did an IR on my set up if I remember when i get I'll post the wiring for you.
post #731 of 1453 Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to a local supplier of electronic parts and was able to get a handful of 3mm IR emitters for 75 cents each. You would need to do a little soldering, but its not difficult. These would fit in without a bulge, although I am mounting mine in the back of seat that is right in front of the GE on the wall. What I need to find now is a programming manual for my Grafik Eye, as I would like to use some of the extended scenes. I have scenes 1-5 set up for movie viewing, TV viewing, full on, full off, etc. What I would like to do is access more scenes that I can set to the same levels, but have different dim times, so that if I bring the house lights up for an intermission macro, it will go back to the movie viewing level without taking the full minute I have set on Scene 4.

post #732 of 1453 Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Warren G,

If you are using a Harmony remote they have the 16 scenes available as part of the database. They don't call them scenes, I think they call them light 1 light 2 or something like that. Anyways you can select i.e. scene 8 and then manually adjust the GE (I know you may know this already, for the benefit of others) to what setting you want and it will remember that as scene 8.

Even if you don't have a Harmony you can get one pretty cheaply to be able to teach your remote the commands after you download them from the database.

post #733 of 1453 Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Jailguy, did you purchase your IR repeater from Lutron? as that's what I did so I may not help. My GRX-CIR wired up with 4 wires like any of their wallstations.
post #734 of 1453 Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Has anyone hooked up an occupancy sensor to their QS?

I was wondering if you had to buy the lutron sensor or if other sensors would work?

Cheers,
Simon
post #735 of 1453 Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Warren_G, there is a document for the extended command set on the Lutron site. I can't point to it right now, but if you can't find it call Lutron support and they can point you to it.

post #736 of 1453 Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I never even thought of just using the 16 settings available on the harmony and then setting the levels on the GE directly. Its so simple, its brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

post #737 of 1453 Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Warren,

How did you make out. Get it resolved?

post #738 of 1453 Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

Has anyone hooked up an occupancy sensor to their QS?

I was wondering if you had to buy the lutron sensor or if other sensors would work?

Cheers,
Simon

Anyone hooked up a sensor to their GE?

Simon
post #739 of 1453 Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I got it resolved and it works like a charm. I embedded one of the 3mm IR emitters in the back of one of my theater seats, and it controls the GE exactly as I had hoped.
You can see the IR eye as the small dot in the middle of the seat here:

post #740 of 1453 Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Cool solution!

post #741 of 1453 Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM

I have a question on dimming. I am looking at the 3104 and I have a zone that is only going to be two recessed lights. I am planning on using MR16 capable recessed lights. If I use two 20w MR16 lights it will hit the grafik eye's 40W minimum per circuit. But in that case, where the dim control still work well since its so close to the minimum? I didn't know if the grafik eye needed a minimum because it can't reduce its output much more than the 40W. Thoughts? Experiences?
post #742 of 1453 Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_man View Post

I have a question on dimming. I am looking at the 3104 and I have a zone that is only going to be two recessed lights. I am planning on using MR16 capable recessed lights. If I use two 20w MR16 lights it will hit the grafik eye's 40W minimum per circuit. But in that case, where the dim control still work well since its so close to the minimum? I didn't know if the grafik eye needed a minimum because it can't reduce its output much more than the 40W. Thoughts? Experiences?

Since no one has responded to your question, I thought I would do so even though I don't have an answer for you.

What I would do in your situation is call Lutron US product support directly at 1-800-523-9466 and get the answer from the horse's mouth.
post #743 of 1453 Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure the zone minimum is 25W rather than 40W.

In either case, the unit will have no problem with your application.

post #744 of 1453 Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Frank1940, DMF,

Thanks for the reply. After I posted I did call up the support line, and they said that if you fall below the minimum, the problem is that the lights might flicker and that the zone lights may glow even when fully off.

I do have a second question after reading this thread. I have want to use an RF remote and as I understand I can either run an emitter to the front of the Grafik Eye or connect GRX-IRI.

If I run the emitter to the front, I can't use CAT5 inside the box because its a fire risk (unless possibly if I wrap in electrical tape) so are those who are running the emitter to the front running it outside the gang box? Or is it possible to use a MUX wire through the box as an extension for the emitter on the front of the Grafik Eye. Does anyone know of pictures of how exactly they placed and extension wire through the wall and onto the front of the Grafik Eye?

All help appreciated.
post #745 of 1453 Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post

[*] Triac-based dimmers can pump out a lot of EMI (electro-magnetic interference); a metal box blocks EMI.

This may not be true, unless you're running metal conduit all the way to the metal box from the breaker box, where the metal conduit and box would therefore be grounded. If you're running romex to the metal box, the box isn't grounded and therefore I would assume have less ability to block EMI.

Also, what about the Grafik Eye itself? What shielding does it have? You could have the box nicely shielded, but then the front of the Grafik Eye is spewing EMI all over the place.

Anyone have trouble with the Grafik Eye affecting their system? I'd like to know, because I'm starting to run wires now and can run THHN and metal conduit to the Grafik Eye, if that's necessary. I am running THHN and metal conduit to my system's electrical outlets, and I'm going to use an isolated ground system there. So, that should help to protect me somewhat, but if I'm going to run conduit, I might be able to run another set of conduit if necessary (but I'd rather run romex).

Finally, how did you sound proof this box? (Or did you?)

Bob
post #746 of 1453 Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope View Post

Here are some of the other threads that had various info regarding the Grafik Eye:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...64#post5859064

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=551838

The thread where members Bpape and Toxarch details the installation of an IR emitter, including a nice photo by Toxarch.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=grafik+eye

I noticed that the links referenced above are now dead. Does anyone have the pictures referenced above about the installation of an IR emitter? I would like to see the work Bpape and Toxarch have done before
post #747 of 1453 Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Does anyone know what's the deal with the new Grafik Eye QS Wireless? What protocol does the wireless use? Will it work with devices like the iTouch? Is there a price premium such that it would be easier to work with a standard QS with another wireless interface?
post #748 of 1453 Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_man View Post

I noticed that the links referenced above are now dead. Does anyone have the pictures referenced above about the installation of an IR emitter? I would like to see the work Bpape and Toxarch have done before

The threads are in archive. When you get the screen that it can't find the thread, click on the link to the 01/05-06/06 archives.
post #749 of 1453 Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Any comments on this product by Progress Lighting.

http://www.lightingdirect.com/progre...=shtca_1058208

Is it a rebranded Lutron product? Price is really cheap.

Any ideas what series it is based on the picture/description

Thanks in advance.
post #750 of 1453 Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Toronto View Post

Any comments on this product by Progress Lighting.

http://www.lightingdirect.com/progre...=shtca_1058208

Is it a rebranded Lutron product? Price is really cheap.

Any ideas what series it is based on the picture/description

Thanks in advance.

Check this page here:

http://www.lightingdirect.com/index....ryid=15004&p=5

It's indeed a Lutron product.

My build thread:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page