Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Hello there,

I am getting to the tail end of my dedicated theater build and am almost set on purchasing a grafik eye qs 6 zone unit. Before I go for it, I had a quick question. I am sure users around the forums have controlled LED strip lights through their grafik eye. My setup consists of 4ea 16ft 5050 LED strips lights with 2 signal amplifiers and a 350watt power supply. My question is more for verification purposes as I think I know the answer.

Do I install the low voltage power supply powering the strip lights before the grafik eye input or after. I am assuming before because you wouldnt want to have a variable input voltage going into the power supply (i.e. when dimming the GE). Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks in

I have a very similar setup. I just use one channel for the led's and set the channel to not dim. So it works like a light switch. Works well for me!
Salem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

That unit is not compatible with GE.

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-NTGRX-1S-WH-Scene-Ntgrx-Remote/dp/B004XIEO2K

For your need I would recommend the 1S. It is basically an on off accessory switch. It will go to scene 1 from off and to off from any scene. If I recall correctly it uses regular electrical cable vs. the more difficult to find low voltage insulated cable.

Edit: I double checked, yeah it uses regular electrical cable.

That's exactly what I'm looking for ...thank you!

My Build Thread
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pretty sure I am going with a 6 Zone QS system. I haven't read the whole thread and I've spent some time on the Lutron site, but I can't seem to get definitive info on any additional parts I will need other than the control unit. I've been told that when you buy anything Lutron you are inevitably going to need to buy another part to make the system work.

I am controlling one room and would like a remote. Any help on a basic parts list would be great.

My Theater Build

Equipment List: Epson 6030, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front heights, Grafik Eye 3106....more to come
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post

Pretty sure I am going with a 6 Zone QS system. I haven't read the whole thread and I've spent some time on the Lutron site, but I can't seem to get definitive info on any additional parts I will need other than the control unit. I've been told that when you buy anything Lutron you are inevitably going to need to buy another part to make the system work.

I am controlling one room and would like a remote. Any help on a basic parts list would be great.

As long as you figure out the correct part to order (base color, cover color, etc.), there's nothing else required... Assuming you have the deep 4-gang box to mount it in.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Old 05-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

As long as you figure out the correct part to order (base color, cover color, etc.), there's nothing else required... Assuming you have the deep 4-gang box to mount it in.

Great news. I didn't want to assume anything and couldn't find concrete answers on extra equipment.

My Theater Build

Equipment List: Epson 6030, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front heights, Grafik Eye 3106....more to come
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

I am installing a GRX-3106 in a few weeks and I'm hoping for a rec on good dimmable rope lights. I can't find anything recent using the search function. Thanks AVS!

My Theater Build

Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I am installing a GRX-3106 in a few weeks and I'm hoping for a rec on good dimmable rope lights. I can't find anything recent using the search function. Thanks AVS!

I used 120v LED rope light from orangetreetrade.com. The key though is to have enough of it on the zone to present enough of a load to dim properly. I have about 35 feet on one zone, and it does not dim out all the way. It dims smoothly, but at the point where it should probably dim out, it brightens just a bit instead. I have another 10ft strand on a zone with some other lights, which presents a larger load to the controller, and which in turn does dim out properly. I think the minimum draw on one zone needs to be about 35 watts. Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got mine from 1000bulbs, using plain 120V incandescent, and as Schlemstar says, it's just a matter of having enough load presented. In my case I had 200' so it wasn't going to be a problem. Just look at the "watts per foot" rating and calculate from there. GrafikEye minimum load is only 25W...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM

Would you recommend against using 12V LED's? I realize that requires a power supply to step up to 120 on the primary side.

I didn't realize incandescent rope lighting was available. I'll check out the sources you mentioned. Thank you!

My Theater Build

Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 244
You can use 12v lighting, provided the power supply you use is magnetic or switching and is otherwise denoted as "dimmable". These are the most expensive types of power supplies, so it's probably better to just get 120v rope light straight away.

And if you find you don't have enough load on any one zone, you can install an in-line 120v resistor of whatever wattage you need to compensate for the difference.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

I used 120v LED rope lighting from Bird Dog Distributing.  I feel that it dims quite well on my GRX-3106.

One of my zones only has about 7 feet of rope light (stairs) so that is about 5W of power. I did purchase a Lutron synthetic load to bring the total zone up to 25W. It was expensive, in a relative manner. As TMcG suggests, a simple resistor will do the same job. Just make sure it has room to dissipate heat, because its sole job will be to turn electricity into heat.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

And if you're buying LEDs to save energy / heat - note that adding dummy loads to meet the minimums is truly "wasting" energy... I looked at LEDs for my rope, but given then significant cost delta, low usage and ease of dimming - I chose the 120V incandescent...

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

And if you're buying LEDs to save energy / heat - note that adding dummy loads to meet the minimums is truly "wasting" energy... I looked at LEDs for my rope, but given then significant cost delta, low usage and ease of dimming - I chose the 120V incandescent...

+1 - exactly what I did. Plus the incandescent can truly dim to extremely low levels....the LEDs have a lower limit before they start to flicker, generally at about 20-25% of their lumen output.

THIS is what I bought from 1000bulbs.com - $65 for 150 feet of warm incandescent rope light with a free shipping coupon code.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

I chose LED rope more for the life expectancy than the power dissipation.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

I chose LED rope more for the life expectancy than the power dissipation.

With the low-to-moderate hours / month of usage most of these ropes probably get, I suspect most of us will have moved before any of these fail from actual lamp failure... biggrin.gif

Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Liked: 10
I tried searching this thread for humming,buzzing and didnt find much help. I bought my house with my theater already in it. It has a Grafik eye installed. I'm unsure exactly what model. I will look when i get home if it needs to be know. One of the settings is with all the sconces dimmed very low and the rope lights up. It looks great, but the sconce incandescents hum like crazy. can anyone recommend a bulb that wont make noise. I like having the sconces on very dim, but just cant live with the noise.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMan919 View Post
I tried searching this thread for humming,buzzing and didnt find much help. I bought my house with my theater already in it. It has a Grafik eye installed. I'm unsure exactly what model. I will look when i get home if it needs to be know. One of the settings is with all the sconces dimmed very low and the rope lights up. It looks great, but the sconce incandescents hum like crazy. can anyone recommend a bulb that wont make noise. I like having the sconces on very dim, but just cant live with the noise.
Use a high-quality Philips bulb. You will be amazed with the difference.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Quote:
Use a high-quality Philips bulb. You will be amazed with the difference.
Thanks, Do you have a link to these? Cool to see you're in NC too. I'm in Apex.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Do you have a link to these? Cool to see you're in NC too. I'm in Apex.
Philips makes 100s of different bulbs and you did not mention what type of bulbs your sconces take. If you Google "Philips xxx bulb" where xxx is your type and wattage of bulb, it should pull up plenty of options from the shopping sites.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Faceplates: does anyone have a recommendation for a good source for Grafik Eye faceplates? I''m looking for a black faceplate for my 3104 to go better with my color scheme - replacing the original translucent-black/white faceplate. I saw one a while ago on eBay but missed it. I found one merchant but they wanted over 100 bucks for one! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Faceplates: does anyone have a recommendation for a good source for Grafik Eye faceplates? I''m looking for a black faceplate for my 3104 to go better with my color scheme - replacing the original translucent-black/white faceplate. I saw one a while ago on eBay but missed it. I found one merchant but they wanted over 100 bucks for one! Thanks!
Paul @ Hank's Electric hangs out here on the forum...

Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Electrician has spec-ed Cat 5 cable to pull from GE to rack. This doesn't make sense to me. Is there a specific comm wire I need to source and pass on to electrician?

Many thanks.....
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM

THIS wire from Liberty Cable is the alternative (one of many, actually, like THIS one from West Penn wire) to genuine Lutron GRX wire.

Spec is 2x22 gauge stranded copper for data/communications with tinned drain wire and wrapped with foil shield and 2x18 gauge stranded copper for power and ground (common). As long as the wire meets this spec, it will work with Lutron (and AMX, Crestron, Elan) for the data bus and power the devices as per the manufacturer's specs.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok so my GRX-3006 is giving me a ton of problems. I tried to use all LED lights with it and that doesn't seem to be working. Although it did for a while now it is acting flaky even though nothing has changed. I have swapped a bunch of my 4" cans from LEDs to halogens (GE Reveal PAR16 Floods). The GE will work fine for say 20 mins then it cuts all the lights off then they come right back on, stay on for 5 mins then right back off. Also I am getting an intermittent flicker from some of the remaining LEDs when they are at 0 power.

User Tag List