Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #1471 of 1491 Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You probably want something remote-controllable. I'm using Leviton Vizia RF+ dimmers. Another choice would be Lutron Radio RA2. I chose the Vizia RF+ because the control softare is readily available, unlike that for the Lutron.

I think the Grafik Eye is less attractive now that we have theses other types of dimmers, although I used one in my last theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1491 Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrog View Post
Rookie lighting question...

For a TV/Theatre room that will have the lights controlled within the room and no other rooms is a GRX what I should look at? Or just simple dimmers - probably do two zones within the room, but cost wise I am thinking the simple approach is what I need?

Lighting is one of the things I am thinking now as I design my first build....hence the rookie comment

Thanks!
manfrog: That's exactly what I used in my theater for the same reason - only one room, in my case three zones (screen lights, ceiling pinhole lights, and center chandelier - I use the GRX-3104) - and I wanted to set up some lighting scenes and integrate it into my remote. My scenes are all lighting full on, "sports" (screen lights off, other lights fairly dim), and "movies" (same as sports but even dimmer). There's a fourth zone I haven't even set up yet. Easy to install, just use the existing wiring going into your light switch box, and you don't need to mess with any software - programming is simple and right on the panel, and once you set it up you'll probably never mess with it again, if you do it's super simple. You can save some money by picking up one of these on eBay. The remote control feature is nice too.

Last edited by helmsman; 12-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #1473 of 1491 Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
You probably want something remote-controllable. I'm using Leviton Vizia RF+ dimmers. Another choice would be Lutron Radio RA2. I chose the Vizia RF+ because the control softare is readily available, unlike that for the Lutron.

I think the Grafik Eye is less attractive now that we have theses other types of dimmers, although I used one in my last theater.
Thanks LeBon!

I quickly looked at the RF+...so what I am seeing is that I could set up "pre-set" scheme's of lighting for different needs at the click of a button essentially? That's all I really need. I have my old Harmony One remote that can control some dimmers I think.

Last edited by manfrog; 12-30-2014 at 06:51 PM.
post #1474 of 1491 Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
manfrog: That's exactly what I used in my theater for the same reason - only one room, in my case three zones (screen lights, ceiling pinhole lights, and center chandelier - I use the GRX-3104) - and I wanted to set up some lighting scenes and integrate it into my remote. My scenes are all lighting full on, "sports" (screen lights off, other lights fairly dim), and "movies" (same as sports but even dimmer). There's a fourth zone I haven't even set up yet. Easy to install, just use the existing wiring going into your light switch box, and you don't need to mess with any software - programming is simple and right on the panel, and once you set it up you'll probably never mess with it again, if you do it's super simple. You can save some money by picking up one of these on eBay. The remote control feature is nice too.

Thanks Helmsman!

Just to be clear though...you went with the GRX-3014 right? I quickly looked up the price (~$900 US$) and that might be more than I planned for light control...but your examples are exactly what I want to do!! Is that the only real option? Going to investigate LeBon's RF+ and see what it can do for me as well
post #1475 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks Helmsman!

Just to be clear though...you went with the GRX-3014 right? I quickly looked up the price (~$900 US$) and that might be more than I planned for light control...but your examples are exactly what I want to do!! Is that the only real option? Going to investigate LeBon's RF+ and see what it can do for me as well
I use the GRX-3104 (not sure if miss-typed 3014). You should be able to get one for around $400 on eBay. I would agree with LeBon that the Vizia RF+ is a little more attractive, but I like all my lighting zones going into each individual scene, giving me one-button-push control from the panel (although I often use the remote).
post #1476 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
...but I like all my lighting zones going into each individual scene, giving me one-button-push control from the panel (although I often use the remote).
If I understand what you mean here, the Vizia RF+ allows control of multiple zones (dimmers) from a single 4-scene (button) controller.
post #1477 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
If I understand what you mean here, the Vizia RF+ allows control of multiple zones (dimmers) from a single 4-scene (button) controller.
No, the Vizia RF+ allows you to set up 4 scenes for one zone. You need a separate switch/dimmer for each zone. That's why I went with the Grafik Eye 3104. I can wire 4 separate zones (although I only have three) into the same switch, and I can program each scene with a different level for each zone.

Full disclosure, I have never used the Vizia RF+ but I was curious after reading your post. You can see their installation instructions here:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/product_...Instrument.pdf

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

And you can see the Grafik Eye installation instructions here:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...101a200112.pdf

Last edited by helmsman; 12-31-2014 at 10:25 AM.
post #1478 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No, the Vizia RF+ allows you to set up 4 scenes for one zone. You need a separate switch/dimmer for each zone. That's why I went with the Grafik Eye 3104. I can wire 4 separate zones (although I only have three) into the same switch, and I can program each scene with a different level for each zone.

Full disclosure, I have never used the Vizia RF+ but I was curious after reading your post. You can see their installation instructions here:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/product_...Instrument.pdf

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct that each zone requires a separate dimmer. I am installing the dimmers in my equipment closet, and only the 4-button scene controller in the room. I will have 7 zones, all of which can be controlled from the 4-button scene controller. I will control remotely using iRule. My build is new construction, so I have some additional flexibility on installation locations.
post #1479 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
You are correct that each zone requires a separate dimmer. I am installing the dimmers in my equipment closet, and only the 4-button scene controller in the room. I will have 7 zones, all of which can be controlled from the 4-button scene controller. I will control remotely using iRule. My build is new construction, so I have some additional flexibility on installation locations.

Zones...scene's....aren't we talking about lights being on/dimmed or my one room? haha

Maybe I am missing something..

I will have one room with lets say 8 recessed cans (LED likely).
I would like them to be turned on to pre-determined levels (i.e back 2 dim to half output, while rest are off...or all can's on a 1/4 output when movie is done)

Is this a scene? Or a zone? Or is the scene what I want each zone of lights to do (say 4 zones of 2 lights to total the 8 lights in the room).

if the RF+ can handle this and cheaper then great...but what parts do I need to make this happen? ???separate dimmers???

Sorry this is all rookie $%#^ I know but please help my brain wrap around this concept. Gone are the days of on/off, dim lol...love this hobby!
post #1480 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I use the GRX-3104 (not sure if miss-typed 3014). You should be able to get one for around $400 on eBay. I would agree with LeBon that the Vizia RF+ is a little more attractive, but I like all my lighting zones going into each individual scene, giving me one-button-push control from the panel (although I often use the remote).

yes my mis-type...its the 3104. The link I saw first with google was: https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=291875 and its $900
post #1481 of 1491 Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Zones...scene's....aren't we talking about lights being on/dimmed or my one room? haha

Maybe I am missing something..

I will have one room with lets say 8 recessed cans (LED likely).
I would like them to be turned on to pre-determined levels (i.e back 2 dim to half output, while rest are off...or all can's on a 1/4 output when movie is done)

Is this a scene? Or a zone? Or is the scene what I want each zone of lights to do (say 4 zones of 2 lights to total the 8 lights in the room).
In Vizia lingo, a "zone" is a group of dimmers and lights that are controlled as a unit. A "scene" is a group of zones=dimmers set to different levels.
So in your example, you might have 2 dimmers = 2 zones. One zone would include the 2 cans in the back, and another zones with the other 6 cans. Then Scene 1 might have both dimers on full, a second scene might have the back zone on, and the front zone off, a third scene might have both zones a 1/2 level, and a fourth scene might have both zones off.
post #1482 of 1491 Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
In Vizia lingo, a "zone" is a group of dimmers and lights that are controlled as a unit. A "scene" is a group of zones=dimmers set to different levels.
So in your example, you might have 2 dimmers = 2 zones. One zone would include the 2 cans in the back, and another zones with the other 6 cans. Then Scene 1 might have both dimers on full, a second scene might have the back zone on, and the front zone off, a third scene might have both zones a 1/2 level, and a fourth scene might have both zones off.

Thanks LeBon!

So in reading through the Leviton info and knowing my setup:
  • one room,
  • 8 cans,
  • lets say 3 zones (ZONE1 - back two cans, ZONE2 middle 4 cans, ZONE3 front two cans)
  • and then 4 "scenes" - all off, all dimmed to X level (tbd), front 2 on at 75%, back 2 on at 75%) - or whatever setup I finally decide on
Am I correct in assuming I need the following pieces:

Scene Controller - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Scene Capable Dimmers (3 - for the 3 zones??) - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Remote - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

I will be using LED's and I do want to keep it down in terms of cost (i.e. the cheaper remote )...so if I could do something cheaper int he above setup please do let me know

Can this setup be controlled by an ipad app "if" I wanted down the road...not important now just asking about future possibilities.

Again thanks...and happy new year!
post #1483 of 1491 Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

You're on the right track with the components needed.

I plan to control my Vizia RF+ via a VeraEdge controller and iRule running on an iPad.

As I understand it, you could also control with IR, using a GlobalCache IR gateway from iRule.
post #1484 of 1491 Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You're on the right track with the components needed.

I plan to control my Vizia RF+ via a VeraEdge controller and iRule running on an iPad.

As I understand it, you could also control with IR, using a GlobalCache IR gateway from iRule.

Thanks! Will continue to investigate this stuff haha
post #1485 of 1491 Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM

manfrog - I may be making an obvious point but I presume you're running a separate line or circuit from each of your can-groupings back to your switching location (i.e. one line for the back 2 cans, a second for the middle 4, and a third for the front 2).

Also, be aware of limitations when using certain LED setups. For example, I use regular halogens in my recessed pinhole ceiling lights, incandescent in my chandelier, and color-changing LEDs on my screen lights. The LEDs are not dimmable from the dimmer (my Lutron Grafik Eye in this case) and required a separate power switching module (which connects to between the dimmer and the LED power supply) to interface it with my dimmer. No big deal, but don't presume you can add LEDs and have them work with your particular dimmer. In my case, the only way to dim my programmable LEDs is via their own remote. Wasn't an issue for me because once I programmed the color scheme I wanted I didn't need to do anything else. I only want them full on or off anyway. The only thing I miss is having them fade off as opposed to switch off.
post #1486 of 1491 Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Controlling Grafik Eye by ZigBee or Zwave

Does anybody know of a way to control the Grafik Eye by ZigBee or ZWave? I know there is a Lutron QSE-10. I could go from Zwave to contact closure to the QSE-10 to the Grafik Eye. But I am looking for something a little more elegant and less costly.
post #1487 of 1491 Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks LeBon!

So in reading through the Leviton info and knowing my setup:
  • one room,
  • 8 cans,
  • lets say 3 zones (ZONE1 - back two cans, ZONE2 middle 4 cans, ZONE3 front two cans)
  • and then 4 "scenes" - all off, all dimmed to X level (tbd), front 2 on at 75%, back 2 on at 75%) - or whatever setup I finally decide on
Am I correct in assuming I need the following pieces:

Scene Controller - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Scene Capable Dimmers (3 - for the 3 zones??) - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Remote - http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

I will be using LED's and I do want to keep it down in terms of cost (i.e. the cheaper remote )...so if I could do something cheaper int he above setup please do let me know

Can this setup be controlled by an ipad app "if" I wanted down the road...not important now just asking about future possibilities.

Again thanks...and happy new year!
Too many components for just one room. The 3104 might be more feasable. Everything at one central unit...
post #1488 of 1491 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post
Too many components for just one room. The 3104 might be more feasable. Everything at one central unit...

Can you explain? My thought (and I have seen it used on builds here)...dimmer connected to each "zone" (or set of lights I want to be able to control independently. So in this scenario there would be 3 zones. These dimmers switches would be hidden in room.

Scene controller would be the only thing you see and it controls lighting for what I would be doing in the room (i.e scene 1, scene 2, etc...)
post #1489 of 1491 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If the goal is ip control have you considered Philips hue? Should be cost competitive and way easier to "install".
post #1490 of 1491 Unread Today, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post
If the goal is ip control have you considered Philips hue? Should be cost competitive and way easier to "install".

I have an HAI Omni system and wondered if I should even use the grafik eye setup, seems to me I could just use UPB switches and have the same results for a lot less, or am I missing something??
post #1491 of 1491 Unread Today, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think it depends on your setup and goals. I have 6 zones. That would look pretty odd with 6 separate full sized dimmers.

I also dont really want individual controls for each zone.

That said things like the Philips hue have a huge advantage in install. It took me months to figure out how I wanted my zones arranged. Redoing the wiring after everything is finished and painted would be an awfull terrible pain.

In the end I am happy I went with the gfx. It is intuitive for my family and still gives me all the control (and remote control) I have needed.
Salem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page