New Home Theater Construction Starting Today - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do I use to connect two subwoofer cables together for long runs? I ran the subwoofer cable through the framing and it makes it back to the A/V Room, but I think I will need another six feet or so to comfortably plug it into the receiver. Do I just use an RCA Coupler like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384862324

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77
I was thinking about adding four bass shakers to my riser in the future. So this means I should wire for them now. If some could, please tell me is standard in-wall 14 gauge speaker wire will be appropriate for these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-027

~Josh
Yes it should be fine (IMO). That's what I did & it worked fine.

By the way, I'm not sure what you're doing for a screen, but I wish I had thought about that a bit more while I was in the phase you are in now. If the screen is a fixed one (not retractrable), I wish I would have put in the appropriate supports for it before drywalling. If I were to do things over, I would hang a white sheet up and play with size/placement and then find out what sort of supports the screen manufacturer uses. I had to jury-rig my screen support system (a Carada screen) after drywall was up because I didn't think that aspect through. It wasn't a huge deal, just one more detail.

Another thing (you may have wired for this already) - if your equipment rack is off to the side or behind you and you plan on using repeaters for your remote(s), figure out where you want to place the remote receiver now and make sure you have conduit running to it. I didn't think about it but luckily I had an extra conduit running to the front of the room for a second sub-woofer in case I ever needed it (which I won't). So I was able to run wire for the receiving unit from the rack to the front of the room (below the screen) pretty easily. I can't remember who it was here, but another member put the receiving unit in the ceiling above the seating area so when you look directly at the remote and hit a button, the unit is pointing up right at the receiver. Nifty idea, I wish I would have done that.

Slightly Pixelated
post #93 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob md
Yes it should be fine (IMO). That's what I did & it worked fine.

By the way, I'm not sure what you're doing for a screen, but I wish I had thought about that a bit more while I was in the phase you are in now. If the screen is a fixed one (not retractrable), I wish I would have put in the appropriate supports for it before drywalling. If I were to do things over, I would hang a white sheet up and play with size/placement and then find out what sort of supports the screen manufacturer uses. I had to jury-rig my screen support system (a Carada screen) after drywall was up because I didn't think that aspect through. It wasn't a huge deal, just one more detail.

Another thing (you may have wired for this already) - if your equipment rack is off to the side or behind you and you plan on using repeaters for your remote(s), figure out where you want to place the remote receiver now and make sure you have conduit running to it. I didn't think about it but luckily I had an extra conduit running to the front of the room for a second sub-woofer in case I ever needed it (which I won't). So I was able to run wire for the receiving unit from the rack to the front of the room (below the screen) pretty easily. I can't remember who it was here, but another member put the receiving unit in the ceiling above the seating area so when you look directly at the remote and hit a button, the unit is pointing up right at the receiver. Nifty idea, I wish I would have done that.
Do I just run one set of speaker wires (+ and -) from my A/V Closet to the riser or do I run four independant ones?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #94 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today we did the plumbing for the bathroom and set the tub in place. Everything looks good. Plumbing Inspection is tomorrow. We will also have the reinspection of the Electrical tomorrow. Today I also finished the speaker boxes to the point of where we can get a framing inspection. Today at Lowes I bought the insulation for the ceiling and also bought the insulation for the walls last night. I also bought two step lights for the step on the riser (Thanks Bud for that idea). I will have these two lights hooked in to the dimmer switch for the set of pot lights above the seats on the riser. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know. I have attached a few pictures. The first one is a view from the riser looking towards the screen. You will be able to see the Left and Right speaker boxes I made yesterday (The Center is hidden behind the insulation). Also you will see the insulation I bought for the walls and ceilings. The second picture is of the bathroom, highlighting the tub. The third picture is a view of the riser and rear speaker boxes and one of the step lights just sitting approximately where it will be installed. More pictures this weekend.

~Josh
LL
LL
LL

hidefpreview
post #95 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob md
If the screen is a fixed one (not retractrable)
I fyou even remotely (pardon the pun) are thinking of using a retractable screen including the low voltage wiring now would be great for future use. Another thought, have you considered using low voltage accent lighting near the the floor to ensure safe traversal. just my $0.02USD

post #96 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The screen will be a fixed frame screen.I will think about the accent lighting. Thanks for the suggestions.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #97 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Do I just run one set of speaker wires (+ and -) from my A/V Closet to the riser or do I run four independant ones?

~Josh
I think you just need to run one pair of wires. Then you would wire the remaining shakers in parallel. Just make sure that you don't exceed the impedance rating of the source driver. i.e. 3 or 4 shakers would be fine but beyond that would not have enough impedance (you could then consider resistive loads etc.. but that gets tricky and probably unnecessary.)

~hemster

Relentless pursuit of perfection... within budget!
post #98 of 192 Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Josh,

Hemster is correct, you need to consider how many shakers you'll want, then figure out the wiring. There is a LONG thread on the subject, but it'll give you a pretty good idea what you'll need to do. Since the speaker wire is cheap, I ran two pairs to each row of seats. If I use one pair of wire per row, so be it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=330436

Bud
post #99 of 192 Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will be wiring for the bass shakers today. I noticed on Part Express's website they recommend this amp to go along with the bass shakers:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...92&ctab=2#Tabs

I will be going with the Yamaha 2600. How to I hook this amp to this receiver? I have never done anything like this, so any input would be great!!!!

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #100 of 192 Old 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Between yesterday and today we cut the hole in the tub panel to allow the spouts through, we installed the step lights and we insulated the guest bedroom and insulated under the bathtub (I have heard this keeps the water warmer for a loger amount of time) and also insulated all fire stops in the bathroom (required by code). Today we also installed an additional three speaker wires for terminals on the outside of the walls for L/C/R Fronts. Even though I am going with all in-wall speakers I wanted to have the option of adding floor stnading speakers for the L/C/R if I ever wanted to. I have some updated pictures. The first picture is a view from the closet of the guest bedroom looking at the insulation we put up and looking through the hall and in to the Theater. The second picture is roughly the same, but in this one you can see one of the step lights on. The third picture is from the Theater Room looking in to the semi-finished bathroom.

~Josh
LL
LL
LL

hidefpreview
post #101 of 192 Old 01-02-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tonight we finished the insulation in the Home Theater/Basement. Quite an itchy job if anyone knows what I mean. I also placed some Integrity gasket on the front wall. I will also place Integrity Gasket on the remaining walls in the Home Theater Room and on the ceiling in the Home Theater Room. Here are some pictures from tonight's work.

~Josh
LL
LL
LL

hidefpreview
post #102 of 192 Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to give everyone an update that I am going to begin to update just once a week or so due to lack of Interest/Comments from this thread and also the time involved in posting. If participation increases in this thread, I may increase the amount of posts.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #103 of 192 Old 01-03-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh,

Keep the pics coming. I'm sure you have a lot of lurkers with over 4k views. People like to see the progress. However, if it's taking a lot of your time to post, do what you feel is the best use of your time. This is a hobby and needs to be fun for everyone :)
post #104 of 192 Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM

I check your thread everyday. I just don't post much as you can see. Keep up the good work.
post #105 of 192 Old 01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Josh,

I assume since you're have inspections done that those cans are IC rated? Also, I cut the paper back on my IC rated cans about 3 inches all around, although the insulation is still in contact with the cans. I'm not sure if its necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Bud
post #106 of 192 Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, Bud they are IC rated. The electrical inspector made sure to check for that. Tonight I finished the biggest wall of the Theater with Integrity Gasket. Tomorrow I hope to finish the rest of the room in Integrity Gasket. On Thursday I will have my Mechanical Inspection (duct work which we have done) and I will have the insulation inspection and hopefully get an approval on the Framing Inspection. If so, drywall will begin on Saturday.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #107 of 192 Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh,

Good deal. Keep up the good work. I expect you'll beat me to the finish line. Ahh, drywall. I don't miss it.

Bud
post #108 of 192 Old 01-06-2006, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wanted to give everyone an update. Today I passed inspection for framing, insulation and mechanical (heating duct work we did). That is a huge relief. That of course means I can now start the drywall. This will begin on Monday evening. Today the drywall company delivered the drywall (70 sheets of 8'x4'x1/2" and 2 sheets of 8'x4'x5/8" (these two are for under the stairs, which is a code requirement.) ). This I can confidently tell you is the worst job ever, delivering drywall to a basement, with a tight turn at the landing at the bottom of the stairs. Since my last update I finished placing Integrity Gasket throughout the Home Theater room. We also installed the vent fan (fart fan) in the bathroom and ran the exhaust of the fan to the outside of the house. Sounds easy, but was not. We also sealed all the heating ducts with an HVAC chaulk and then covered with duct tape. We also finished insulating the bathroom. A funny story about the framing inspection. I have a soffit in the bedroom which is under a heating duct. The maximum height which was achieveable using 2x4's is 6'6". The code requires 6'8". He said this was a code violation and I could either reframe or apply for a variance. I call the Building District to discuss. They say it will be $50.00 and I automatically have the variance approved since it is only 2 inches. My thoughts are this though. If it is a code to be at 6'8" it must be so for some sort of safety reason, yet if I pay the $50.00 (which I did) then all of a sudden I am safe. Damn Government/Politics, but hey I need to have this done with a permit and pass inspection so that if I ever go to sell my house I can use my basement in the value of my home. My friend's parents finished their basement and never got a permit or inspections and when they went to sell their home they of course could not count any of the basement as finished space. He figures it cost them around 40k in home value.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #109 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some pictures I took this morning of the work we did yesterday. The first picture is a picture of 45 of the 72 sheets of drywall which was delivered yesterday. If you look, you can also see the Integrity Gasket on the wall. The second picture is a picture of the bathroom exhaust fan and it exiting the basement to the side of the house. The third picture is a picture of one of the heating ducts we had to extend to reach the outer side of the soffit in the guest bedroom. Comments so far?

~Josh
LL
LL
LL

hidefpreview
post #110 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Looking good - you sure are moving at a good clip! Sounds like s Super Bowl party is doable!

Slightly Pixelated
post #111 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Super Bowl, not gonna happen, I do have a goal of The Sopranos Season Premier in late March though.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #112 of 192 Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the posts and pictures, keep them coming. I just discovered this thread and read it with great interest because I also live in Colorado Springs (NW side of town) and am in the design stage of my basement HT where I intend to do just about exactly what you did. If you don't mind I may ask a few questions as them come up, especially stuff that relates to how you did things to meet the local code, such as floating the walls which is required in Colorado.

Guy
post #113 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #114 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #115 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #116 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #117 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #118 of 192 Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tomorrow we will start the drywall in the late afternoon. Our goal for the evening is to finish the entire ceiling of the basement and have all the drywall up by Thursday evening. Then on Friday and through the weekend and perhaps even Monday doing the mudding and taping. The texturing will begin hopefully the following weekend. I will try to post pictures throughout the week as we progress through the drywall portion of the project.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #119 of 192 Old 01-09-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tonight we got the ceiling up for the entire Basement/Home Theater Project. Tomorrow we will put in the waterboard in the bathroom and start on the walls. We have a goal of getting all the drywall up by Thursday and then start the mudding and taping. Here are some pictures from tonight's work. The first picture is a picture of the ceiling in the bedroom, the second picture is a picture of the ceiling in the bathroom and the third picture is a picture of the ceiling in the Home Theater Room.

~Josh
LL
LL
LL

hidefpreview
post #120 of 192 Old 01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77
Tonight we got the ceiling up for the entire Basement/Home Theater Project. Tomorrow we will put in the waterboard in the bathroom and start on the walls. We have a goal of getting all the drywall up by Thursday and then start the mudding and taping.
~Josh
You go the easy route and rent a drywall lift, or do it with good old manual labor? My father and I opted for the drywall lift route. We had neither done any *major* drywall work. Decided if we had to do it over, we would probably have hung it, but hired out the mudding/finishing.

Theater is looking good, keep the pictures coming...... A lot of people just browse topics and don't reply. Everyone is busy working on their theaters, including me. :)
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page