Closed Thread

post #1 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I will be starting my home theater construction today. I will be placing it in my unfinished basement in a section which is essentially 22' x 12'6." I will be honest here, it will take approximately 1 year to complete. My goal is to have it done by next August, just in time for the NFL. I have to work on it as I can afford it. I have set-up the following timeline goals:

1. Complete Framing by September 30, 2005.

2. Complete Plumbing by December 31, 2005.

3. Complete Electrical by February 28, 2006.

4. Complete Home Theater Wiring by February 28, 2006.

5. Complete Drywall/Painting by June 30, 2006.

6. Complete Flooring by July 31, 2006.

7. Complete Home Theater/Basement by August 30, 2006.

I am really looking forward to this project and I will be taking my time to make sure it turns out the way I want it to. Here is the equipment I currently plan to use (Subject to change of course):

Projector: Panasonic AE900U
Screen: Da-Lite 106" High Power
A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2600
Satellite Receiver: Directv HR10-250 (HD-Tivo) or whatever Directv's version of this is at that time considering their upgrade to MPEG-4.
DVD Player: Denon 1920. Also by that time I may go with one of the HD DVD players. I will only buy one that is capable of playing both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I hear Samsung has developed one.
Speakers: Sonance In-Wall THX 7.1 Speaker System.
HTPC: I will be building my own HTPC with components I will buy on my own. I ran a cost analyst on this last night and I can make a top of the line HTPC for around $650.00.
PS3: I plan on getting one of the new PS3 consoles for this project as well. Probably connected to the projector via Component. My one exception to the HDMI goal.
Cabling: I want all of my video connection to be via HDMI. After speaking with a local home theater enthusiast and designed he mentioned you do not need to spend all the extra money on the name brand Cabling (Monster, etc.) you can get the same result for a fraction of the money with many other brands. So I think I will try that out.

Well there is the basic plan. I will keep everyone updated as the project progresses with pictures and written updates. I am very happy to be able to start my dream home theater!!

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on your endeavor. Please keep us posted along the way with lots of pics. I've always admired the DIY'er willing to embark on such a task. This forum will prove an invaluble resource for you as you most likely know.

Scott
post #3 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Congrats. Hope you enjoy the project.

Just a couple things.

1. You really might want to consider a 'grey' screen for better black levels.

2. You really should relook your HTPC cost. Just enough RAM, good enough video board, and good enough CPU will run you that - not to mention a really quiet case and power supply, a decent video board, quiet quick BIG hard disk and DVD-ROM. This is just to get good enough - not SOTA. Not trying to burst the bubble - just inject some reality. Check out the HTPC forum here.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #4 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I have finished my first day of work on the theater. Today was mainly a day to clean up the basement and organize. The first thing which was completed today was the installation of our new Air Conditioning Unit. It is a nice 3 ton system and I had all of the pipes run through what will be a 2 1/2 foot soffit.
After that I had to rerun two speaker wires and two RG6 cables which run to my living room upstairs for the home theater there. I had to drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in the joists to feed the various cables through. The area under my stairs will be the area where I have a built in A/V rack for all my components.

There is a view from where I plan to have the first row of seats. You will notice a diagnal line accross the insulation. That is 106", the size I plan to have my screen.
Here is a view from the opposit direction from the landing at the bottom of the stairs. You will notice a steal beam on the ceiling. This will have a soffit built around it and my projector will mount there.

Photo Link: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/beatbo.../ph//my_photos

That is all the updates for today. I will keep everyone posted as the project progresses.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #5 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming.

GIK Acoustics

post #6 of 192 Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bpape,

I have tried several screens with the BenQ 7700 and I really liked the Carada Brilliant White. I tend to like a bright picture. Considering how bright this projector is, I am amazed at the black levels it produces, not far from the Sony HS51 in my opinion. As far as the HTPC goes. The price I came up with was for a decent HTPC that will satisfy my needs. It will not be a super computer, but certainly good enough for my needs. Thanks for the suggestions though.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #7 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem - just easier to look at those things now while identifying budget and before purchasing anything specific. If you prefer the bright white screen, go for it. It's your theater and your preference is what's most important.

Enjoy the journey.

GIK Acoustics

post #8 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77
bpape,

I have tried several screens with the BenQ 7700 and I really liked the Carada Brilliant White. I tend to like a bright picture. Considering how bright this projector is, I am amazed at the black levels it produces, not far from the Sony HS51 in my opinion. As far as the HTPC goes. The price I came up with was for a decent HTPC that will satisfy my needs. It will not be a super computer, but certainly good enough for my needs. Thanks for the suggestions though.

~Josh
Josh,

As you know (from the PM) my project was very similar to yours. I also took just over a year to complete it---mostly budget related. Unless you are planning on purchasing the projector anytime soon (which I highly recommend NOT doing), don't worry too much about it. It's great you have a good idea of what you like, but as I can tell you from experience, you will probably change your mind a few times during the next year.....in large part becuase a year from now there will be better, cheaper projectors available.

I built my room around thinking I was getting a BenQ 8700+ with the Brilliant Stewart Firehawk screen, and I ended up with a Optoma H77 (which was WAY out of my price range even halfway through my building process) and a Carada Brilliant white screen. It is good though that you have one in mind for planning where to run the conduit and what the throw range is.....and things like that. Good luck, and do keep us posted.

-Jason
post #9 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Josh,

Good luck and enjoy the ride. Ask lots of questions, some pretty bright people around here. Take LOTS of pictures.

Bud
post #10 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Pictures aren't opening
post #11 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jason & Bud,

Thanks for the comments. Jason, I agree, I will probably change my mind a few times before now and when the theater is completed. I am going to keep up to date on the products as I am going through this process.

Bud- I have been following the progress of your HT build and it is really looking nice!!

cougarenegade- I just opened the pictures and they seem to be working fine. Is anyone else not able to view the pictures?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #12 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh,

Cool and thanks. Its a long but worthwile adventure. I'm having some problems as well with your pictures. Doesn't look like its resolving the address. Are you just cut and pasting it in the URL? Looks like its getting shortened, hence the '....' in the middle of the address.

Bud
post #13 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am a little concerned as to how I am going to get a sofa or home theater seating into the basement. Any ideas on how to do this?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #14 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of the HT seating (Berklines and Coasters) the back comes off. Can the owners of these seats comment? I know the Lazy Boys definately do. Not sure on the sofas. How big is the door? Do you have access to the basement from the outside or are you talking about bringing it down via the stairs?

Bud
post #15 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM

I cant open the pics

Can't Find the Web Site

STEVE
post #16 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZ ATACK
I cant open the pics

Can't Find the Web Site

STEVE

Hmmm...
I can't either.. :(

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #17 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have updated the photo link with a new one to all the pictures I took yesterday. Let me know if this is working.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #18 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The Berklines come from the factory with the seat backs off. You slide them over some posts and they click in place. To remove you slide the catch back and slide up. No problem.

Beat boy: couple of things.

First now is the time to familiarize yourself with the building code fire stopping requirements for your area. Often it's much easier to take care of it at this stage of the game before the framing goes up.

Second looking at pictures 114 and 115 and all that copper pipe. Make sure that the pipe is not touching any metal other than copper. It looks like it's real close to some of that sheet metal ductwork. If so be sure to put some thing between like pipe insulation or wood. If they touch, after a few years there will be corrosion at that site.
post #20 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big,

The picture is a bit of an illusion. There is actually around 1" between the copper pipes and the heating ducts. The heating ducts have straps which hold them in place. Thanks for the warning though!!

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #21 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bud,

In an earlier post you mentioned a furniture company called, "Coasters." Do you happen to have a webpage for them?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #22 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

They're sold by a variety of folks, but there is a powebuy going on (ends soon - 7/28). Here is the information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=554333 and
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=554339

Also, I think Roman has a Berk powebuy going on as well:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=548862

I happen to have some pictures on the coasters here:
http://home.comcast.net/~bketterl/coasters.html

Bud
post #23 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Thanks for the links to the seating. Is Coasters usually cheaper then Berkline? I can not seem to get the home authority website to work very well.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #24 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it depends on what you want/buy and where you get it. I'm a ways away from buying seats and haven't looked recently. I posted the Coaster page because I had a catalog and people were trying to compare some different Coasters models. You might want to search and PM some folks that have acutally bought. There are lots of threads on the subject. You might find want to PM "power", he's involved with the Home Authority website and the power buy.

Bud
post #25 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What type of insulation would anyone suggest when filling the area between the studs?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #26 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was also thinking of going with a fabric of some sort half-way up the walls of my HT. Does anyone know what type of fabric to use? Where to get it?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #27 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Question.

Are you trying to contain sound inside the theater? There are all sorts of techniques discussed for that. Insulation is only one piece of it. There is some good insulation info in this new thread and probably many others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=557607

Bud
post #28 of 192 Old 07-25-2005, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77
I was also thinking of going with a fabric of some sort half-way up the walls of my HT. Does anyone know what type of fabric to use? Where to get it?

~Josh
Many people use Guilford of Maine, also know here as GOM (specifically, FR701). You can get samples from them at http://www.guilfordofmaine.com and from other resellers. Are you planning on hiding speakers behind fabric? If not, you can probably use what you want within reason. If you are planning a proscenium or surrounds hidden by fabric (doesn't sound like it), you'll want something "acoustically transparent". I think thats the correct term anyway. The concern with fabric is how flammable it is. You want something that's fire retardant.

Bud
post #29 of 192 Old 07-26-2005, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Thanks for the webpage. A lot of choices there for sure!! That part of the project is a long ways away, so I will not worry about it too much for now. I was thinking of going with fabric from the floor up to the bottom of my windows. Then going with a textured wall from there up to the ceiling. I worry about the the fabric on the bottom of the walls though, we have 3 dogs and I was thinking their hair might get everywhere. I will have to think about it though.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #30 of 192 Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How close to the bear cement walls should I have the 2x4's for the wall studs?

~Josh

hidefpreview
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page