Stages and risers almost complete - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 615 Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Digital Amps is the first real major technological breakthrough I have seen in amps in a long time. Who knows, maybe our amps will become obsolete every 2-3 years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 615 Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Know your catching on to why I went the route I did. If it changes It will be when I like what I see, or hear in this case. I still have not caved to the temtation of HD DVD with all thats making that a difficult decesion for awhile it appears. I have became a fan of less is more.
post #273 of 615 Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think it is wise to hold of on HD-DVD and BluRay. Neither format's first generation players are going to hold up well against later generation players if past history has any bearing it. You would just as likely have an expensive doorstop as a marginal player 2 years down the road.
post #274 of 615 Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As much as I want, early adopter I am not, not this time anyway. If hollywood starts producing some worthy movies again, I might be swayed
post #275 of 615 Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

And for you guys revisiting this thread it may seem as though I am a little testy these days which I have never been, but I have built a strange love/hate relationship with a certain person which appears will drag on till we are both old farts

Man, do I know what you are talking about there! I have this one friend who talking to seems to be a chore, because he always wants to know all the details why I did something the way I did and then challenges that information to the max. In his case, there is a problem when you start trying to do the same thing to him, he starts getting all huffy and upset...

Scott

post #276 of 615 Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Liked: 10
Just read through your thread and just want to add my "WOW" to your theater. Hope to see you get back to your HT soon.
post #277 of 615 Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Come on Mark, get off your ass and get your curved SmX screen up . I thought you would have got yours done before I finished mine.

Where are you at?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #278 of 615 Old 08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #279 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually Ruben the mother in law and her friends were down for a couple weeks and I was playing tour guide

we went here for one stop

Can anyone guess where? Here I will give you a hint

and I have been busy putting in a lake and additional irrigation pond dealing with all that is involved with that .

Ruben, I lost your phone# PM it, I have your old one from 6 months ago and yes Mike I am waiting on a phone call and I will get back with you as soon as it does. If you have someone else that wants the DBox and youre under a time limit, sell er but I was supposed to have it dealt with yesterday and I never got my call. Research
post #280 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Crater Lake, Oregon?
post #281 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #282 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys are too good, or my hint was a little too easy. I got 150 pics that day and have yet to see them all but I got a couple good ones. usually its calm and looks like a mirror but it was windy that day so we didnt get the mirror but got the 6500 kelvin ISFed blueness
post #283 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't know about that. I think I am seeing a little blue push. You sure you are not getting around 7500 kelvin?

Honestly, that is some great color with the trees as well.
post #284 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread will explode as soon as more pics hit the scene....

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #285 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxlr8 View Post

This thread will explode as soon as more pics hit the scene....

These kind of pictures explaining why the theater is not getting worked on?

OK smartie pants guesser gurus, heres a couple more, try and be specific. I am also playing with a Panasonic Toughbook today and beleive it or not I am doing this from 150' away from the theater , outside and through 2 walls. This wireless stuff is cool and the Toughbook must have a hellashish wireless system

remember, specific

post #286 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Those pictures are absolutely pristine!

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #287 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark, I will be touring Crater lake on August 19 on a 4 day motorcycle trip covering about 1400 miles. Should be lots of fun! I have never been there, so I am glad you sent those pics, looks cool!

Scott

post #288 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 PM

My guess would be the sea lion caves in Florence, Oregon
post #289 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Comon, you jacked those pictures out of the Hallmark card gallery .

WOW.

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #290 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_somd View Post

My guess would be the sea lion caves in Florence, Oregon

On the money, bravo

out the other side

Interior walls, these were hard pics to snap since they dont allow flashes and I forgot a tripod

Sea lions getting a shower

post #291 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know the other one is tricky, off the beaten tourist trap path and usually only a couple hippies playing guitars while the other million tourists are elsewhere, I guess a hint is in order

Japanese sub watching post

post #292 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Comon, you jacked those pictures out of the Hallmark card gallery .

WOW.

Lost your ph # compadre
post #293 of 615 Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Mark, I will be touring Crater lake on August 19 on a 4 day motorcycle trip covering about 1400 miles. Should be lots of fun! I have never been there, so I am glad you sent those pics, looks cool!

Hopefully the snows still there and the wind is calm, try and get there crack of dawn and be prepared for a treat, well many treats and be sure to go back to the Pinnacle, alot of folks miss these

Also try your hardest to make it up the McKenzie Pass by Bend right out of Sisters, On a bike you wont be dissapointed, at the end of the pass you head north up the McKenzie and theres Clear Lake and right across the street is the fuel ( actual color of Shahalia Falls, I chit you not)

and the rapids coming off these feeding the McKenzie and the clear lakes that you see fish feeding on the bottom

I wont show pictures of the other suprises along the way and ruin it but its a must see drive, also try and do the summit ride at Mt Bachelor in Bend as your passing through. I usually play tour guide alot in this state and thats why summers arent good for finishing theaters, plus Coho and Halibut season just finished and Chinooks are closing in.
post #294 of 615 Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

Two words: IN-SANE!!!

WOW!
post #295 of 615 Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark, I don't know what we will be able to see and we won't be there in the morning, since we are leaving Crescent City, CA in the morning and will be staying our second night in Altamont.

Here is our projected route for the day:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e2006/day2.gif

Scott

post #296 of 615 Old 08-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

You guys are too good, or my hint was a little too easy. I got 150 pics that day and have yet to see them all but I got a couple good ones. usually its calm and looks like a mirror but it was windy that day so we didnt get the mirror but got the 6500 kelvin ISFed blueness

The last time I was there was in 1988 and the park and its roads were closed due to too much snow. It was a place I really wanted to visit. Everything else I saw in Oregon was absolutely beautiful.
post #297 of 615 Old 08-27-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK time to drag this out from page 360 since I communicate with a fair amount of people here by phone and some of you cant figure out why the theaters on hold so long, well I always had a feeling a D-Box was in the picture but couldnt justify 22k for one. Mike Poindexter got me a really great deal on an XL Oddessey system basically 2/3 off clearance type of deal and when it gets here and its raining I will get back to work, I also have a 15' curved SMX screen to buil so I will get all the aluminum the same day!

For friends here that dont understand how busy it is when the sun shines for 9 months heres a little background and theres actually a "new" theater involved so.........

Heres the ranch

I started by killing seven acres of grass since it was perinial Rye and was crap at best, My neighbor ( who is northwest in the satellite pic) grows turf for the Superbowls and anything where a special grass is needed so we bought 76 50 pound bags of his super grass and that was a hella chore.

We are putting in yet another pond for irragation and to make the guest house alittle "warmer" and at the same time a Lake so all the equiptment/spillways gets used at the same time.

Also fixing up the guest house finally so when we have the Home Theater meet we cab store some folks since the nearest town is 7 miles away and I am sure someone will have a drink or two, if youre an outdoorsy type we could hold hundreds

Heres the view from the guest house deck, the pond edge will be at the brown burn piles caused by clearing scrub oaks, the lake will be off to the left and fine for water skiing.

The guest house will have a theater on the Deck ( the deck will be enclosed through the storm months and fully open in the sunny weather)

There will be a 10' SMX 2.35:1 roller screen at the end, I have already started testing the audio and you can see the equiptment between the speaker, we figured it will seat 25 with ease and already have the seating purchased. Theres 2 Fire pits ( one is a glass bead propane fire pit not done yet) 2 chimnea fireplaces so its pretty cozy even without enclosing.

I also want to get the 60' x 8' greenhouse finished by the rains that will be on the back of the guest house and we are thinning an estimated 4000 Douglas Firs that are about 5 years too late

The mountains that dont show up well in the pics are the Oregon Coast range mountains from where a couple earlier pics were shot from, at night you will be treated to a Pacific Coast sunset/ Pacific Coast storms right before a movie. pictures dont give this view any justice at all . From this picture you will see about 1/5 of the pond and hopefully most of the lake.

Anyway, hope this helps explain the lack of theater work and helps those I yak with here, some of the stuff I was using as an excuse. Atleast I have theater II's audio about wrapped up. No IB sub this time unfortunatley but I now have a spot for the 3 tactiles the D-Box is replacing and the "outdoor" ( sometimes) theater is 14' x 60'
post #298 of 615 Old 08-27-2006, 01:46 PM

I really like that left hand speaker stand in one picture. Is that one of those new dual toroidal dynamic-response rubber with steel reinforcement jobbies??
post #299 of 615 Old 08-27-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog View Post

I really like that left hand speaker stand in one picture. Is that one of those new dual toroidal dynamic-response rubber with steel reinforcement jobbies??

Yes! I cant remember if they are Kawasaki or Honda models but I think the cost a fortune.

Actually all the equiptment and speakers are going to be in a couch type setup, the smx wont be for AT on this theater but wind when the enclosures are removed for outdoor summer use.

I was doing some testing to see how the sound was going to be as well as testing some new digital receivers. Amazing is a good way to describe it. I am going to try Clark Synthesis Tactiles for the surrounds under the decking and 1 in the middle for LFE ( Mixed with an old shiva sealed sub) right now the sound is very clean.

I may have to go with surrounds if the clarks dont do the trick but they are full range and sound very good, as soon as Mike ships the D-Box I will find out.

Fijis on hold untill winter so I really got to get moving again soon
post #300 of 615 Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh and I should give half the credit to the outdoor theater to my son who helped me ........ well built alot of it, performed most of the cuts and did all the deck screwing, The daughter and her friend did all the painting and staining. They love to hang out there when friends spend the night. Heck we go down there almost every evening to enjoy the sunsets, hence the theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction