Stages and risers almost complete - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Actually Joe thats probably the best post in this entire thread, maybe even Dedicated Theaters section.

The DIYers like you, myself, Ruben, Makeit57, Swithey, Bud and the rest want to get our hands as dirty as possible, some of us would build our own projectors if we had the right contacts.

I think this automation stuff might be the most important aspect of a theater ( I will show you why if I ever quit getting frustrated over automation) and I really dont want Crestron to pop a fuse on Friday afternoon and find out monday that they will be out next Thursday to spend 30 seconds reprograming a button. I know everyone says Crestron and AMX is infalible but I say if thats true then I Vote Crestron should run for President. I WANT to know everything about my system down to the breaker panel (inside the breaker panel to be exact)

The route you chose seems perfect for me + the added benifit of someone to walk me through the initial part that should take 15 minutes to figure out, I just hope this isnt another Meedio, that stuff was an expensive nightmare that just plain P!SSED me off.

The Cinemar 30 day trial is perfect, hopefully I can figure it out, the worst thing possible would be to call you all the time bugging you or PMing you every day becoming a nusance so I may just wait another year to see what Microsoft comes up with.

I know originally folks like Alan Gouger told me touch panels were annoying during movies and you cant memorize the buttons ( great points) so I got the MX 950 and have it working pretty good ( it wont turn on a Mercury HD which sort of makes it another useless item) but its used everywhere else.

I really want to finish everything some year but want automation working first but seriously 30K+? Then again 8K for a D-Box ( and thats a bargain)? and 15K for a PJ? etc, etc. About the only thing I have that seems reasonable was my SmX screen and that was VERY affordable.

It seems your route is affordable and if its working for you, thats better than all the other automation horror stories I have checked into and probably a route I can try without wasting a ton of money like I did last winter with Meedio and girder and all that hair pulling stuff.

Again, great post because automation of 60 zones of lighting and 50 or 60 other things is what made dislike theater building the most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually back to touch screens , I like this/these http://www.tabletkiosk.com/config/pc...?idCategory=35 much more than that Q1 fingerprinter, I think I read somewhere the Q1 attracts more finger prints than Paris Hiltons A$$ and Ruben agreed. these dont appear to have that problem. Nice and small but that may be troublesome for us fat fingered folks

A little of my wife/daughters finger nail polish over their little product placement emblems and I can live with them, that Q1 and their huge SAMSUNG in bold white letters is a huge turnoff as well. These also have docking stations which is very nice
post #363 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Joe, this is a great introduction. I eventually want to do something like this in a new house, but have nowhere to even begin looking. This is all great information.

I would suggest a new thread dedicated to this stuff where you could post your insights, knowledge, and pitfalls you have encountered. I think many of us could benefit from this.

I would agree, there needs to be an automation sticky here in dedicated for DIYers and Joe would be a great one to start. There is automation forums in AVS but last time I visited I almost got a headache and alot of it isnt DIY non coding type people friendly http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=36. I have built all my own computers and done amazing things with them but coding and automation just frustrates me whether its the boringness or the having to try everything one little button at a time. I had zero troubles getting the MX 950 working but it seems Windows, HTPCs, and Lutrons just spell I N S T A N T headache and I am an electrician ( of sorts)
post #364 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

another cool 7" er ( nice dock ) even matches the colors of the theater minus the stickers that would be ripped off before the plastic was completely unwrapped

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/18/d...-solo-m1-umpc/
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...lo_m1_umpc.php

Why cant you get these in a 10" version?
post #365 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Actually back to touch screens , I like this/these http://www.tabletkiosk.com/config/pc...?idCategory=35 much more than that Q1 fingerprinter, I think I read somewhere the Q1 attracts more finger prints than Paris Hiltons A$$ and Ruben agreed. these dont appear to have that problem. Nice and small but that may be troublesome for us fat fingered folks

A little of my wife/daughters finger nail polish over their little product placement emblems and I can live with them, that Q1 and their huge SAMSUNG in bold white letters is a huge turnoff as well. These also have docking stations which is very nice

For me I want to stay away from devices with hard drives. I just don't think they make good home automation controllers. I have 3 toshibas and Ruben has a Q1 and all of them have fans, get too warm, and the battery doesn't last long enough. I really liked that Tatung. An embedded device that uses memory cards instead of hard drives.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #366 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 08:13 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey Mark,

I found something that is about the same size as the Q1 so you can grab and see. Go grab 2 DVD Cases. The Q1 is the same exact height as a DVD case turned sideways and is 1.5" longer than a DVD case. The thickness of the Q1 is a 1/4" less than 2 DVD cases.

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #367 of 610 Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here are some videos on the Q1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwdscO2sUC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnlS1cEc9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarNm...related&search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiNR...elated&search=

If you are going to go with a 7" touchscreen, I would go with that Solo. The Q1 gets way to many fingerprints on it and picks up any little scratch on it's black shiny plastic case.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #368 of 610 Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to the product that I use to connect multiple clients to my htPC.

http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_t...server_xp.aspx

This allows me to have multiple PDAs, TouchPanels, Other PCs on my network having separate and unique sessions running on a single XP PC.

edit: There is also a 5 person version for $99

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #369 of 610 Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #370 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally remembered to shoot some video of some good friends on the D-box, the video quality is pretty bad but it was shot in bad lighting and the camera was sort of hidden, This friend is a good one for reaction because it takes quite a bit too impress him since hes a pilot, owns speed boats/cars and all around adventurer type.

I dont doubt Mike Poindextors tale of some womens "infactuation" with the D-Box and Super Speedway, I have noticed women "adjusting" themselves during that demo where the men dont. Again sorry about the quality but it was more a hidden camera last second quicky I wasnt even prepared to shoot, but it will give an idea of the movement of the D-Box. the audio is horrid too because a shotgun mic was used and the camera was in a cabinet

http://www.mediamax.com/gobigred/Hosted/dbox1.wmv
post #371 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mark, I found that video rather amusing...

I'm still waiting to hear from D-Box if people with PAL encoded region 4 discs (Australia) are able to use this (I've sent some dvds already which they are currently trialing). IF they give the go ahead, I'll most likely get one from Mike Poindexter, but am still rather hesistant as I havent experienced it first hand. What would you say to someone in my position?

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #372 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

Sorry I didn't get back to you on Sat. I should be around all night tonite. Don't forget that I am central time though. I go to bed at 10.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #373 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mark, you may want to warn people about the size of the file! I saw that it was 251 mb and decided not to download it at work!

Scott

post #374 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

Mark, I found that video rather amusing...

I'm still waiting to hear from D-Box if people with PAL encoded region 4 discs (Australia) are able to use this (I've sent some dvds already which they are currently trialing). IF they give the go ahead, I'll most likely get one from Mike Poindexter, but am still rather hesistant as I havent experienced it first hand. What would you say to someone in my position?

Its a tough call and I would hate to be the one who tells you " Yeah, yeah, yeah GO get one!" and have you not feel its worth the price but EVERY guy that sits in it says " I gotta get me one of these" until they find out its that or a new car. More than one female has commented that they felt it was too agressive, they like it for awhile, but feel its distracting and the guys want it set on aggressive to get their moneys worth. Personally, I feel its a must have if your spending equal amounts on Projectors (some perf screens are as much as I paid for this). I also got a used one for about 1/3 the price from Mike, otherwise, it never would have happened.

I have told D-Box, they get the price down, and these things would fly off the shelf. But I understand Niche market and having to recoup developement costs.

Peter Jackson has one of these, not sure if its in New Zealand or not, I wonder if he uses region1 discs, is there a way you can do an HTPC with region 1's?
post #375 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Mark, you may want to warn people about the size of the file! I saw that it was 251 mb and decided not to download it at work!

Oops , thanks for reminding me, I forgot to do Mpeg and .WMV is rather large. I will encode it smaller since the quality is so crappy anyway.

By the way, watch the center of the couch cushion without a person on it to see stuff you cant see by the peoples movements. Its much more of a ride than the video shows
post #376 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I tried two different D-Box demo's at CEDIA. One was at the Dbox booth and one was in the Runco demo theater.

I found it to be a fun technology, but not something that I would want in my own home theater. It made me feel like I was at an amusement park, and it might be neat for a movie like Cars or Top Gun, but it would not be something that I would want to use on a day to day basis.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #377 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops , thanks for reminding me, I forgot to do Mpeg and .WMV is rather large. I will encode it smaller since the quality is so crappy anyway.

By the way, watch the center of the couch cushion without a person on it to see stuff you cant see by the peoples movements. Its much more of a ride than the video shows

Mark,

The file is down anyway. unless you are in the middle of changing it.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #378 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah Joe, Im changing it, we already chowed through 25 gig of hosting space so I am cutting back, I will repost the new link in awhile.
post #379 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Yes, these things are hard to find, but I found one. I got one coming this week. I think its the perfect thing I been looking for. I asked the guy if he can get more and he said he will let me know this week.

Ruben

Did you get it yet?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #380 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I tried two different D-Box demo's at CEDIA. One was at the Dbox booth and one was in the Runco demo theater.

I found it to be a fun technology, but not something that I would want in my own home theater. It made me feel like I was at an amusement park, and it might be neat for a movie like Cars or Top Gun, but it would not be something that I would want to use on a day to day basis.

They only write codes for " Fun movies"

Demos are kind of decieving because youre getting hurled around for an entire length of time, when watching actual movies, it gradually brings you in and out of scenes. It can be like an amusement ride or simulator but it also can be toned down to be subtle. It certainly makes mediocre movies watchable and good movies great. My problem is I sit there and decipher what the programmer was thinking and used to spend time paying attention to the simulator and not the movie. That has passed and people not into technology like us geeks here just kick back and enjoy.

I know an hour later people are still smiling and laughing and I think it the motion causing this
post #381 of 610 Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #382 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally remembered to shoot some video of some good friends on the D-box, the video quality is pretty bad but it was shot in bad lighting and the camera was sort of hidden, This friend is a good one for reaction because it takes quite a bit too impress him since hes a pilot, owns speed boats/cars and all around adventurer type.

I dont doubt Mike Poindextors tale of some womens "infactuation" with the D-Box and Super Speedway, I have noticed women "adjusting" themselves during that demo where the men dont. Again sorry about the quality but it was more a hidden camera last second quicky I wasnt even prepared to shoot, but it will give an idea of the movement of the D-Box. the audio is horrid too because a shotgun mic was used and the camera was in a cabinet
http://www.mediamax.com/gobigred/Hosted/dbox1.wmv

Pretty cool Mark. I know I would be one of those people that analyse every movement during the movie vs. paying attention to actual flick (at least in the beginning). My wife gets motion sickness quite easily so it may not fly at my house.

So-- when do you move it to the actual theater to test with the IB Sub cranked and your 14' screen? Talk about a total immersive experience
post #383 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Pretty cool Mark. I know I would be one of those people that analyse every movement during the movie vs. paying attention to actual flick (at least in the beginning). My wife gets motion sickness quite easily so it may not fly at my house.

So-- when do you move it to the actual theater to test with the IB Sub cranked and your 14' screen? Talk about a total immersive experience

Yeah, my wife's already nixed it as well, as she gets motion sickness at the drop of a hat. She actually got motion sickness one time kayaking from a beach on Little Cayman to this tiny little island in a bay. Smooth smooth water... complete control over the kayak, basically like floating on a raft with a paddle, and she still got a little sick.

I showed her a video of the D-Box and she said, "No way I want that!"
post #384 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

You get over the critiquing after a coule days and just enjoy the ride. Its really hard in these videos to see the Tactile effects, you can watch the center cushion and see it vibrating at times, its as impressive as the motion.

It will go up there soon, no seats is the main problem
post #385 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

Yeah, my wife's already nixed it as well, as she gets motion sickness at the drop of a hat. She actually got motion sickness one time kayaking from a beach on Little Cayman to this tiny little island in a bay. Smooth smooth water... complete control over the kayak, basically like floating on a raft with a paddle, and she still got a little sick.

I showed her a video of the D-Box and she said, "No way I want that!"

It would make her sick and fairly fast, my friend in the video said he felt a little bit during the Super Speedway, I think some of that comes from focusing on a smaller 50" DLP
post #386 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

This is kind of a side note, but you should consider getting Relief band for your wife, this is the electric one that looks like a watch and was originally for chemotherapy patients it is now sold for motion sickness, pregnancy, stomch flu any nausea situation.

And it works fabulously well, just takes getting used to the electrical pulse which doe not hurt at all.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #387 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

This is kind of a side note, but you should consider getting Relief band for your wife, this is the electric one that looks like a watch and was originally for chemotherapy patients it is now sold for motion sickness, pregnancy, stomch flu any nausea situation.

And it works fabulously well, just takes getting used to the electrical pulse which doe not hurt at all.

I can't remember, didn't the Mythbusters debunk those wrist bands? Maybe I am wrong.

Scott

post #388 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

I can't remember, didn't the Mythbusters debunk those wrist bands? Maybe I am wrong.

These are not pressure bands and I can assure you they do work extemely well, I have used them on countless cruises as well as when being heavily medicated. As I say they were developed to combat nausea from Chemo. Though now Zofran is given for that most of the time.

They use an electrical impulse that blocks the nausea signal to the brain.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #389 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wonder if they block the nausea of working on automation?

Grrrrrr, now I know why Crestron and AMX stick a gun in your back with their bids
post #390 of 610 Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if they block the nausea of working on automation?

Grrrrrr, now I know why Crestron and AMX stick a gun in your back with their bids

I just called you. Phone not working or were you gabbing with Ruben?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page