post #541 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

For what it is worth. A HT buddy brought over his Sony BDP S350.

I have an Optoma 720P single chip (H79, same as Sandman's original projector) and the Oppo 983 upscaling DVD player on a 100 inch diagonal Firehawk screen.

Bottom line, I could see the difference and a Bluray is on my shopping list.

It might have to do with your seating distance in Your MASSIVE theater. If you are a back row kind of guy maybe it won't make much of a difference.

So the "difference" being..........................

Eye glimmers? color? sharpness ( for the lack of a better word) or what were you seeing, Im guessing 720P is 720P is 720P so I just dont know if it does something in an upconversion or what.

Just for chits and giggles I picked up an Epson 6100 for my lil mini theater and I must say, Im going to haul it up to the theater and try some serious A/Bing today or tomorrow, I was floored by the "Dark Knight" at 9' last night..WOW on a PS3 at that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Mark, any updated pictures of the theater?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #543 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I'm guessing 720P is 720P is 720P so I just don't know if it does something in an up-conversion or what.

An up-converted DVD is what 480 lines of information? the up-conversion estimates what the missing lines would look like.

When you start with 1080 you have more information to work with in the down conversion process.

Differences: More detail, sharper picture.

I currently have 1080P source material via satellite and the up-converting DVD player. It's night and day in image detail
post #544 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Mark, welcome back.

I have both a HDVD and BR player (well, only one is connected now), but it is significant that your standard DVD, even on my 720P. You can can also take advantage of the scaling factor in these players. I went with the Sony BDP-S550. It's enough of an improvement for me to motivate me to upgrade in a couple of months to a 1080p.

Bud
post #545 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Liked: 10
Mark, it's good to see you back. I look forward to a renewed stalking of this thread!
post #546 of 610 Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

An up-converted DVD is what 480 lines of information? the up-conversion estimates what the missing lines would look like.

When you start with 1080 you have more information to work with in the down conversion process.

Differences: More detail, sharper picture.

I currently have 1080P source material via satellite and the up-converting DVD player. It's night and day in image detail

Ditto. I saw HD-DVD on my old Infocus IN76 and immediately noticed a difference on my 124" 2.35:1 screen. I purchased a JVC RS1 soon after and noticed an even better picture.

So, 1080p to 720p still VERY good but 1080p to 1080p even better (especially on your HUGE 2.35:1 screen).

So -- what brands/models are you looking at?
post #547 of 610 Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alot of familiar faces!

No new pics as of yet, Im not sure anything has changed much. I have an HVAC guy coming over on Monday to try and Zone the theater and get it conditioned. Bonus rooms seem to be tough and we added a ton of Cubic feet.

I also found a control "nerd" that appears to want to tackle the automation for a realistic price and using more stable means than HTPC. The main problem with HTPCs is if you, or whoever designs the system dies, or somehow becomes unavailable to work on the system after a crash or other means of not working............you're sort of screwed. Supposedly this guy has a product used in Comercial applications that has recently slipped into HT that is more hardware driven and less software driven. If theres a failure , you're changing out a piece of hardware, not spending days rewriting code. Im meeting with him in a few hours to see what its all about.

My new electrician turned me on to the guy, they had a 200k bid from Crestron on a project and this guy came in and did the job for 25K and was apologizing for the cost.

Im excited! His over the phone bid for the work was a flat $30 an hour on the programing side, said he would be suprised if it took a week because it never has.
post #548 of 610 Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
More pictures please. Definitely one of my favorites, if not THE favorite!
post #549 of 610 Old 01-01-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

More pictures please. Definitely one of my favorites, if not THE favorite!

I wish it was my favorite....uhhhggg.

We tried an experiment on heating the theater and we got closer but failed.

The people that designed the HVAC for this home should have their License revoked. Theres two 5 ton units that fall a paultry 2k square ft. of actually working before you even open the door to the bonus/theater room. And the rocket scientist that I am added some serious cubics to that room.

We have 400 amps and one 50 amp breaker left but we fail the load test if I add a dedicated unit for the theater, we're pushing it without adding anything actually and adding a Mini-split concerns me for noise.

This is an easy task if it werent for cooling, there's multiple ways to produce heat, not so many for cooling. The warmest I can get the room is 65 degrees, and this makes the rest of the upstairs HOT, which in turn, makes the theater appear even colder than it is.

Zoning is a possibility, but its a gamble as well, they just didnt size the HVAC properly for this home. When we have a conditioned space, expect pictures.
post #550 of 610 Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just started coming on the forums again regularly after four years of occasional visits and getting a new screen name. I found your build thread via an acoustic screen thread. Mark, your room...if it can be called a room an not a cathedral, goes in my list of all time favorites. You could put a pipe organ up in the balcony and go for a Phantom of the Opera look Keep up the great work. Your property is also beautiful. We are close to buying a lake house in the mountains of western NC and N GA. It has a guest house over the detached garage but your property is so big, you can't even see the guest house.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #551 of 610 Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

update?
post #552 of 610 Old 05-10-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks out of this world..Cant wait to see it finished.
post #553 of 610 Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Liked: 14
Has any more work been done to this amazing theater. Would love to see some update photos.
post #554 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Bump...any updates?

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #555 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
I heard a rumor that he finally finished his theater and was so happy his testicles exploded, causing short term memory loss and was then unable to post on AVS forum for over a year.

Or was that me? I forget. I have trouble remembering things for some reason.
post #556 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, Poindexter, is this cause he ratted you out about having a Bose system in your theater... No more excuses saying it is for comparisons...

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #557 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heh,
Be nice now guys!

Truth be told, I got really fed up with automation, and then got reallllllly busy with work and decided to copy Mike P and disappear for an extended period.

During this time I also built a guest house on the back side of the ranch and put a theater in it. 1080P seems much better than 4 year old Mercury HD so I moved the D-Box down there and went low budget with Klipsh and B&W in-walls and built a Subwoofer using 2 18" Adire audio subs I had laying around and we use that theater instead. A 12' SmX screen really blows away the 20' Stewart anyway when we're talking 1080P. Hollywood still has'nt impressed me much either over the last couple years. I did enjoy Inception at the IMAX a couple weeks ago so who knows...........maybe I will go finish it this winter.
post #558 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
Mark, while I saw some things coming from the automation you were doing that looked impressive, I thought you might run into what I did when I built my own media server. Sure, you can do a lot of stuff that is impressive, but suddenly the hobby becomes work and it isn't fun any longer. I just got a Kaleidescape and a Crestron system and had somebody else program it for me so I could just focus on enjoying what I had.

I agree on the stuff coming out of Hollywood with a few exceptions. Inception was awesome - I also saw it at the IMAX. Too bad it wasn't filmed in IMAX, but 65mm is not too shabby. I have been watching more independant and foreign film lately which is nice and fresh but unfortunately it has a poor hit rate on D-BOX programming although most of them wouldn't really need it. Films like The Stoning of Soraya M or Juno are totally character driven.
post #559 of 610 Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Mark, while I saw some things coming from the automation you were doing that looked impressive, I thought you might run into what I did when I built my own media server. Sure, you can do a lot of stuff that is impressive, but suddenly the hobby becomes work and it isn't fun any longer. I just got a Kaleidescape and a Crestron system and had somebody else program it for me so I could just focus on enjoying what I had.

I agree on the stuff coming out of Hollywood with a few exceptions. Inception was awesome - I also saw it at the IMAX. Too bad it wasn't filmed in IMAX, but 65mm is not too shabby. I have been watching more independant and foreign film lately which is nice and fresh but unfortunately it has a poor hit rate on D-BOX programming although most of them wouldn't really need it. Films like The Stoning of Soraya M or Juno are totally character driven.

The funny thing is Im running the new theater with a Harmony remote and it does everything I need and it took 10 minutes to get running. I think I was more disappointed in the fact it was 2007-8ish and there were no decent touch screens and automating wasnt hard, just buggy and clunky for the prices the software was costing. And like everything, its all probably old and outdated.

Ive seen some pretty ok movies in the last couple years ."There will be Blood", "Shutter Island" was sort of neat, etc, etc..........but I just cant justify whats needed to finish anytime soon......being busy doesnt help as Im sure youre aware. I still want to make it down to check yours out someday though!
post #560 of 610 Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM

Liked: 14
I have been following this thread basically since I became a member here. I used alot of your ideas in the design and construction of my home HT. Although on a much more humble scale obviously. I do agree that the automation issues a couple of years ago were terrible. I also just went ot a harmony remote and it works great. I am still trying to design and build a decent working masking system though.

I was really lloking forward to seeing the mega theater finished and will continue to follow the thread. Thanks for all of the help throughout the thread.

Chris.
post #561 of 610 Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan View Post

I also just went ot a harmony remote and it works great.

I'm using an 890 too. It's just not quite wife-proof, though. Sometimes the receiver doesn't turn on. Going the next step to get two way confirmations from the equipment is a major automation upgrade and quadruples the complexity. So I don't bother. Too bad someone doesn't make a simple, idiot-proof remote that simply adds the two-way "are you sure?" capability. There would have to be a lot of added smarts hidden from the end-user. Maybe that's just not possible.
post #562 of 610 Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan View Post

I have been following this thread basically since I became a member here. I used alot of your ideas in the design and construction of my home HT. Although on a much more humble scale obviously. I do agree that the automation issues a couple of years ago were terrible. I also just went ot a harmony remote and it works great. I am still trying to design and build a decent working masking system though.

I was really lloking forward to seeing the mega theater finished and will continue to follow the thread. Thanks for all of the help throughout the thread.

Chris.

Yeah the automation from a couple years ago was headache inducing but do-able. I wont lie, I did some crazy stuff I never thought would work and it did, but it would work one day..........not the next. Not sure what Harmony I have but it works great everytime/all the time. to be fair it works in the new theater with DvD, PVR, HTPC and thats it, no lighting, no pool controls, no nothing so............I also only run an HTPC during D-Box movies and the picture generated is so terribly washed out compared to my DvD player I hardly ever even bother with it.
post #563 of 610 Old 10-03-2010, 04:02 AM

Liked: 16
Hey Mark,

I was thinking you must be excited about the new Microsoft Slate's coming out... I'm waiting on my entire home automation until these puppies come out. Have you put any thought to using the Slate at all?
post #564 of 610 Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

Hey Mark,

I was thinking you must be excited about the new Microsoft Slate's coming out... I'm waiting on my entire home automation until these puppies come out. Have you put any thought to using the Slate at all?

Not even sure what a Slate is? Sounds like a tablet PC?
post #565 of 610 Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Liked: 12
post #566 of 610 Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Bump for sheer awesomeness, and for any newbies that missed it the first time around, to bask in its glory (HVAC issues be damned)
post #567 of 610 Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy S View Post

Yep, tablet PC. http://www.computerweekly.com/galler...soft-Slate.htm

Is that thing even out yet?
Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #568 of 610 Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Time for a quarterly bump for one of my favorite builds. Anything new in HT or fish tanks Mark?
post #569 of 610 Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM

You increased your theater height by using Attic space?

Quote:

We ony had 9' ceilings when I started , a roto zip, circular saw, and a structual engineers stamp solved that

Attic before Made it real easy to raise by adding 2x4 to bottom of 2x8 rafters spliced with 5/8 ply and collar ties

post #570 of 610 Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM

If so, can you PM me the links to keep your privacy (if that is what your desire).
This theater breaks the AVS Forum records in so many ways!!!!!!!

Quote:

Thanks ApoDoc and all the others for the kind words and Private messages! Hopefully as it starts coming together quickly when the final piece of the puzzle shows up I can offer up some exciting pics of things to toss around. I am filming some of the major aspects of this project in High Definition and when its done will probably have a sort of cool video of all the fun I've had , probably wouldnt cost much to rip some extra copies if anyones interested. I wont be able to profit from them since I'll have some neat jams and tons of product placement that might get someone P.O.ed

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page